Toyota is offering their customer a glimpse on what the next Prius will bring with the unveiling of the NS4 Plug-in Hybrid Concept today at the Detroit Auto Show. When designing the new NS4, Toyota engineers were challenged to design a new mid-sized concept for potential global market introduction by 2015.
"In this digital age, cars are becoming another spoke in the wheel of our electronic connectivity," said Jim Lentz, TMS president and chief operating officer. "NS4 demonstrates Toyota’s take on the human connection to the car with technology that considers both emotional and rational relationships, person-to-car and car-to-society."
Also, the new NS4 concept offers a glimpse on the next-generation Hybrid Synergy Drive plug-in system by reducing component size and weight. As a result the fuel economy will be significantly improved, but also the car’s acceleration and the all-electric range. In the same time Toyota focused on maintaining a short charge time.
Hit the jump to read more about the new Toyota NS4 Plug-in Hybrid Concept.
The exterior and the interior
The new NS4 concept features a new styling direction for the Toyota brand and previews the company’s future hybrid global model. The concept features a new trapezoid grille accented by a floating lower spoiler and wing-like daytime running lights wrapping around to a sculpted fender.
At the rear the rear lamps wrap around the sides of the vehicle to quarter sections layered into blistered fenders, while the rear lamp wings create a sharp edge and the effect of a rear spoiler.
Four new glass technologies are integrated into the windshield and front triangle, door, and rear windows to improve driver visibility, gas mileage and electric driving mode mileage efficiency:
- Hydrophobic coating – Fluorine coated glass causes rain drops to form into semispherical shapes for improved visibility and rain drop elimination (also used on the roof solar panel)
- Anti-fog film – High performance resin material with anti-fogging characteristics and increased durability
- High ultraviolet (UV) absorbing inner-layer – Removes 99 percent of harmful UVA and UVB rays
- Anti-solar film with radio-wave transparency – Reduces the internal vehicle temperature and improves electronic device functionality
- next generation Pre-Collision System (PCS) with lane departure, rear-end and pedestrian collision avoidance technologies
- millimeter-wave radar and stereo cameras mounted on the front of the vehicle
- near-infrared beams to enhance PCS recognition at night
- Adaptive Driving Beam (ADB) headlights
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM)
The new NS4 concept is offering a first glimpse at Toyota’s next-generation Hybrid Synergy Drive plug-in system featuring reductions in component size and weight with improved overall fuel economy, better acceleration and longer all-electric range, while maintaining a short charge time.
When can I buy one?
The NS4 concept will never be put on sale, but design elements from it will be used in the future Toyota hybrid models.
New Hybrid Synergy Drive plug-in system
Just a concept