The Aprilia Pegaso leads the way when it comes to big 600 cc bikes. It was the first of its kind and despite its age is still among the top sellers in its segment.
One of the secrets behind the Aprilia Pegaso 650’s success is the fact that it was constantly upgraded and with every year that passes the motorcycle becomes better and better.
Naturally the center piece of the 2012 Aprilia Pegaso 650 is its modern, four-valve, dry sump engine which is fitted with electronic fuel injection. As far as performance go, the engine delivers a maximum output of 48 HP (35 kW) at 6,000 rpm and 6.01 kgm ( 59 Nm) of torque at 5,000 rpm.
Apart from its strong engine, the Aprilia Pegaso 650 is also equipped with ultra-light wheels, sport brakes and fine tuned suspensions.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2012 Aprilia Pegaso 650.
he Pegaso 650’s engine is a liquid cooled, four valve, single cylinder four stroke, equipped with an advanced electronic fuel injection system. The engine is designed for brilliant performance, low fuel consumption and, of course, extremely low emissions. The result is a machine that is fantastic to ride under all conditions.
The engine, which maintains Aprilia’s traditional dry sump design, stands out for its compact overall dimensions and advanced technology. This powerful but flexible powerplant has an exceptional torque curve, and accounts for the dual personality of the Aprilia Pegaso 650: docile and relaxed for daily commuting and touring, mean and aggressive for sports riding.
The Pegaso 650 has a healthy respect for the environment too. Like all Aprilia motorcycles it incorporates standard-setting engine technology, because fun and enjoyment must never endanger the environment. A catalytic exhaust keeps emissions at the threshold of current Euro 3 legislation.
Other features of this sophisticated engine that deserve special mention are its anti-vibration balancer shaft for smoother running and greater comfort and its single throttle body with latest generation micro-spray injector.
The Pegaso 650’s unmistakable personality, plus the sort of style that has always distinguished Aprilia motorcycles, make it instantly recognisable. Aggressive, eye-catching, and clearly Aprilia, the Pegaso 650 brings sports elegance to every ride. The Pegaso 650 looks lightweight and dynamic from the first glance.
The bike’s vocation for fun and enjoyment is clear even when it is on its side stand! The sleek, streamlined design of the Pegaso 650 declares the bike’s eagerness for sports riding even before the engine starts.
The Pegaso 650 sets new standards in motorcycle design. Every single part has been made for perfect functionality and ergonomics as well as good looks. The result is perfect integration between man and machine for unbeatable fun and universal rideability.
A compact, single spar, steel frame is the perfect backbone for a thoroughbred supermotard like the Pegaso 650. Despite its extremely light weight, this frame delivers record rigidity as well as easy access for maintenance purposes.
Great care has been taken over suspension calibration to combine road holding and comfort. The Pegaso 650 is equipped with a robust fork with the largest diameter stanchions in its class (45 mm). Wheel travel is 140 mm. This fork provides the best possible compromise between easy riding, braking control and comfort. A robust anti-twist bridge helps make the front end even more rigid and imparts a feeling of solid reliability unequalled by any other bike.
The gas-filled Sachs monoshock at the rear is adjustable in spring preload and rebound. It too is calibrated for maximum control under sports riding conditions without penalising versatility. Rear wheel travel is 130 mm.
The Pegaso 650’s elegant aluminium alloy wheels copy those of the supersport RSV 1000 R Factory for an even more aggressive look. Wide rimmed wheels and large, road-going tyres (110/70 at the front, 160/60 at the rear) provide plenty of support for the Pegaso’s refined chassis. Great tyre grip and an extended area of ground contact guarantee a sensational ride in total safety.
The high strength wheel spindles are 20 mm in diameter but hollow for reduced weight.
The Pegaso 650 features a reduced seat height of only 780 mm for easy control. Riders of all statures, including lady riders, can therefore get their feet firmly on the ground. The special shape of the seat also makes it easier to move your body under sports riding conditions without penalising rider or passenger comfort. A higher seat (820 mm) is available as an optional extra to make the bike more comfortable for taller riders.
Absolutely nothing has been overlooked, and only the best available components have been used. The front brake features a mighty 320 mm floating disc with a four-pot caliper, for the sort of braking power and control normally only found on supersport machines.
This powerful front brake is complemented by a 240 mm disc, with a floating two-pot caliper at the rear. The entire braking system has been calibrated for maximum efficiency, power, response, and feel.
Just like all Aprilias, the Pegaso 650 is equipped with top quality, prestige components.
The following items deserve special mention:
- The generous, sporty looking instruments provide all the information you could possibly need. The analogue rev counter is complemented by a large, multi-functional digital display complete with on-board computer for all essential information.
- A mouse on the left hand switch group allows easy computer navigation and consultation.
- Various languages can be selected to provide an easy to read user interface.
- Service codes provide rapid engine diagnostics (CO adjustment, ECU diagnostics, system errors, and service intervals).
- The gear change threshold is user variable.
- Function and warning lights for fuel reserve, coolant temperature and battery charge.
- Immobiliser with emergency reset by means of a user programmable PIN number for total security and easy operation.
- The system can be reprogrammed by Aprilia Technical Assistance to run new software releases and custom graphics etc. using Axone 2000? software and the bike’s own diagnostics connector. The computer is safe and easy to use thanks to a convenient switchgear control that lets you select the display function you want without having to take your hands off the handlebars.
- 2 storage compartments. The front compartment is located in the top of the fuel tank, and can be opened electrically from a button on the handlebars, so there is no need to remove the key from the ignition: yet another example of how the Pegaso 650 is designed for unbeatable ergonomics and practicality.
- The second compartment is located under the seat. The two compartments combine to provide ample room for small items. The seat also comes with provision for hooking up an elastic luggage net to improve carrying capacity on long journeys and holidays. For convenience, the tank-top compartment is opened by a button on the handlebars, so your small change, mobile phone and toll tickets are always to hand even with the engine running. The under-seat compartment is the biggest ever seen on a bike of this type and provides plenty of room for your waterproofs and other personal effects.
- The electronic immobiliser can be reset in an emergency using a user programmable PIN number.
- The large headlight cluster incorporates simultaneously lit twin dipped and main beam units.
- The self-supporting nose fairing also supports the headlights and instrumentation. Fewer parts means fewer screws, greater strength and less weight.
|Engine||Single-cylinder four-stroke with light alloy cylinder. Liquid cooling with three way pressurised circuit. Single overhead cam with chain timing drive; four valves. Anti-vibration balancer shaft.|
|Bore x Stroke||100 x 84 mm|
|Total displacement||660 cc|
|Maximum power at the crank||48 HP (35 kW) at 6,000 rpm.|
|Maximum torque at the crank||6.01 kgm ( 59 Nm) at 5,000 rpm.|
|Fuel system||Integrated electronic engine management system. Electronic fuel injection. 44 mm throttle body.|
|Lubrification||Dry sump with oil pump.|
|Gear box||5 speed. Transmission ratios: 1st 12/30 2nd 16/26 3rd 20/23 4th 22/20 5th 26/20|
|Clutch||Multi-plate in oil bath. Cable operated.|
|Primary drive||Spur gears. Transmission ratio: 36/75.|
|Final drive||Chain. Transmission ratio: 15/44.|
|Frame||Steel, open cradle, single spar frame.|
|Front suspension||45 mm fork. Wheel travel 140 mm.|
|Rear suspension||High strength steel swingarm. Aprilia Progressive System (APS) rising rate linkages. Sachs hydraulic monoshock with adjustable rebound and preload. Wheel travel 130 mm.|
|Brakes||Front: stainless steel floating disc, Æ 320 mm, four piston caliper. Rear: stainless steel disc, Æ 240 mm, two piston caliper.|
|Wheels||Alloy wheels with twinned spokes. Front: 3.50 x 17". Rear: 4.50 x 17".|
|Tyres||Front: 110/70-17. Rear: 160/60-17.|
|Dimensions||Overall length: 2,173 mm Overall width: 810 mm Ground clearance: 250 mm Seat height: 780 mm Wheelbase: 1,479 mm|
|Fuel tank capacity||16 litres (3.5 litre reserve).|