- V2, four-stroke
- Horsepower @ RPM:
- 48 @ 6000
- Torque @ RPM:
- 59 @ 5000
- Injection. Integrated electronic engine management system. Electronic fuel injection. 44 mm throttle body.
- 660 cc
Greek mythology tells us of Pegasus, the winged horse that’s not only one of the most popular in Greek mythos, but is also an enduring symbol of power and freedom. In the history of motorcycling, no name has been more apt for a machine made to satisfy its rider’s need for freedom than the Aprilia Pegaso.
Symbolizing Pegasus to the hilt, the Aprilia Pegaso is the embodiment of a bike that exudes power and freedom, having been designed with an advanced technological set-up that satisfies needs as diverse as urban mobility and long distance touring.
The Pegaso 650 Trail continues the success story that began over 12 years ago, and has since taken the Pegaso to the top of the international sales charts, establishing it as the world’s best 650 cc enduro.
For the 2012 model, the Pegaso was built as a better all-round motorcycle than ever before. The Pegaso Trail in particular is better at long range touring, thanks to superior comfort, an advanced new engine, and a large number of innovations aimed at improving versatility. All this has been achieved without affecting the bike’s great autonomy and simple, easy-riding characteristics; characteristics that have made the Pegaso such a tremendous success over the years.
Just as the original Pegaso established new records for its class, the new Pegaso 650 Trail sets the pace for single cylinder motorcycle technology. It boasts a modern, four valve, dry sump engine with electronic fuel injection and a 44 mm throttle body, a superbly strong diamond shaped steel frame, spoked wheels with medium-knobbly tires for great handling on and off the road, and many more advanced features.
Find out more about the Aprilia Pegaso 650 Trail after the jump.
The liquid cooled, four valve, single cylinder engine is fueled by an advanced electronic injection system, specially designed for sparkling performance, miserly fuel consumption and, of course, environmentally friendly emissions. The engine delivers power in a way that translates into exceptional ridability under all conditions.
The Pegaso engine uses Aprilia’s acclaimed dry sump lubrication system. This new Aprilia single cylinder power unit stands out for its compact design and extremely advanced specifications. Powerful and flexible, it boasts a fantastic torque curve that gives the Aprilia Pegaso 650 Trail the muscle you need to come out on top in all conditions.
The new Pegaso 650 Trail respects the environment too. Like all Aprilia motorcycles, it incorporates the latest clean technology, because fun and performance should not damage the environment. The catalytic converter in the exhaust system cuts emissions to the threshold of the current Euro 3 standard.
Other important characteristics of this sophisticated engine include a vibration damping counter-shaft for improved comfort and a single, 44 mm throttle body with the latest generation fine spray injector.
Like its sister bike, the Pegaso Strada, the dynamically styled Trail makes you want to ride it the moment you see it. With its unmistakably aggressive and eye-catching looks, this is a motorcycle made to tackle any journey in style. The Pegaso 650 Trail is so unmistakably Aprilia in look and feel, you just can’t help standing out from the crowd.
The Pegaso 650 Trail’s compact, single beam steel frame is the perfect backbone for this all-round enduro. The frame is amazingly light yet offers unrivaled rigidity and excellent access for mechanical maintenance.
A great deal of care has gone into calibrating the suspension too. As a result the suspension system combines effective damping and fantastic comfort. The new Pegaso 650 Trail’s robust fork has the thickest stanchions in its class (45 mm) and permits a wheel travel of 170 mm. The result is a perfect balance between easy riding, controlled braking and effective damping over rough ground.
The gas-filled Sachs monoshock at the rear is adjustable in rebound and spring preload, and is calibrated for maximum comfort and traction on all surfaces without penalizing riding satisfaction. Rear wheel travel is also 170 mm.
The spoked aluminum wheels are a classic enduro feature. In keeping with proven off-road motorcycling technology, the Pegaso 650 Trail is equipped with a 19 inch front wheel, perfect for easy control over rough ground and precision steering on the tarmac.
Seat height has been kept at only 820 mm to make the Pegaso 650 Trail really easy to ride. Riders of all statures, including lady riders, will find it easy to get their feet firmly on the ground. The seat is designed for maximum control over all types of terrain, without ignoring the needs for rider and passenger comfort on long road journeys. For taller riders who want a more long-legged seating position, a higher seat (+ 40 mm) is available as an optional accessory.
The new Pegaso 650 Trail is equipped with a standard-setting braking system incorporating top quality components. The front brake features a 300 mm disc and a twin-piston caliper for supersport-style stopping power and control. This powerful front brake is complemented by a 240 mm rear disc with floating caliper. The entire system has been calibrated for efficiency, power, and instant action.
As you would expect from an Aprilia, every component on the Pegaso 650 Trail is a world-class, prestige part.
The following components deserve special mention:
- The generous, sporty looking instruments provide all the information you could possibly need. The analogue rev counter is complemented by a large, multi-functional digital display complete with on-board computer for all essential information.
- A mouse on the left hand switch group allows easy computer navigation and consultation.
- Various languages can be selected to provide an easy to read user interface.
- Service codes provide rapid engine diagnostics (CO adjustment, ECU diagnostics, system errors, and service intervals).
- The gear change threshold is user variable.
- Function and warning lights for fuel reserve, coolant temperature and battery charge.
- Immobilizer with emergency reset by means of a user programmable PIN number for total security and easy operation. The system can be reprogrammed by Aprilia Technical Assistance to run new software releases and custom graphics etc. using Axone 2000Ò software and the bike’s own diagnostics connector. The computer is safe and easy to use thanks to a convenient switchgear control that lets you select the display function you want without having to take your hands off the handlebars. o 2 storage compartments. The front compartment can be opened electrically from a button on the handlebars, so there is no need to remove the key from the ignition. The second, under-seat compartment provides a generous amount of storage space. On top of its amazing performance, the Pegaso 650 Trail gives you great ergonomics and practicality. The tank-top and under-seat storage compartments combine to provide ample room for small items. The seat also comes with provision for hooking up an elastic luggage net to improve carrying capacity on long journeys and holidays. For convenience, the tank-top compartment is opened by a button on the handlebars, so your small change, mobile phone and toll tickets are always to hand even with the engine running. The under-seat compartment is the biggest ever seen on a bike of this type and provides plenty of room for your waterproofs and other personal effects.
- The fairing windshield adjusts to two positions to provide ideal wind protection for riders of all statures.
- The electronic immobilizer can be reset in an emergency using a user programmable PIN number.
- The large headlight cluster incorporates simultaneously lit twin dipped and main beam units.
- The self-supporting nose fairing also supports the headlights and instrumentation. Fewer parts means fewer screws, greater strength and less weight.
|Engine||Single-cylinder four-stroke with light alloy cylinder. Liquid cooling with three way pressurized circuit. Single overhead cam with chain timing drive; four valves. Anti-vibration counter-shaft. Euro 3.|
|Bore x Stroke||100 x 84 mm|
|Total displacement||660 cc|
|Maximum power at the crank||48 HP (35 kW) at 6,000 rpm.|
|Maximum torque at the crank||6.01 kgm ( 59 Nm) at 5,000 rpm.|
|Fuel system||Integrated electronic engine management system. Electronic fuel injection. 44 mm throttle body.|
|Lubrication||Dry sump with oil pump.|
|Gear box||5 speed. Transmission ratios: 1st 12/30 2nd 16/26 3rd 20/23 4th 22/20 5th 26/20|
|Clutch||Multiple disc in oil bath. Cable operated.|
|Primary drive||Spur gears. Transmission ratio: 36/75.|
|Final drive||Chain. Transmission ratio: 15/44.|
|Frame||Steel, open cradle, single spar frame.|
|Front suspension||45 mm fork. Wheel travel 170 mm.|
|Rear suspension||High strength steel swingarm. Aprilia Progressive System (APS) rising rate linkages. Sachs hydraulic monoshock with adjustable rebound and preload. Wheel travel 170 mm.|
|Brakes||Front: Brembo stainless steel disc, Æ 300 mm. Two-piston floating caliper. Rear: stainless steel disc, Æ 240 mm. Floating caliper.|
|Wheels||Aluminum spoked. Front: 2.15 x 19" Rear: 3.00 x 17"|
|Tires||Front: 100/90-19 Rear: 130/80-17|
|Dimensions||Max. length: 2,232 mm Max. width: 820 mm Ground clearance: 270 mm Seat height: 820 mm Wheelbase: 1,510 mm|
|Fuel tank capacity||Capacity 16 liters, 3.5 liter reserve.|