The Bimota Tesi project evolved from the graduation work of two mechanical engineering students who, in the beginning of the 1980s, designed and developed a bike utilizing a swing arm as the front section. For the name of their motorcycle they choose "TESI", the Italian word for "thesis", as the design, which replaces the conventionally used hydraulic fork in the front, was part of their university thesis. Bimota decided to commit major resources to the refinement of this project.
Further technical development led to the descision for a limited production of the TESI 2D. This project has been driven by Bimota’s desire to continue the evolution of an exceptional motorcycle, distinctive for the functional and technical aspects of its design, which are unique in the world.
The TESI is an extremely light motorcycle, characterized by an enormously easy drivability, a revolutionary and exclusive style, and the integration of components at the forefront of technology.
The extraordinary Bimota Tesi 2D is the culmination of this sophisticated project, offering an amazing combination of attributes; an incredibly light machine built using the best quality high-tech components, with a revolutionary style that delivers easy handling and unique riding experience.
The omega frame consists of two machined plates that house a Ducati 1000 DS engine. The suspension and the tail/seat provide support at the back, while the front is supported by the steering rods.
The front and rear swing arms are true engineering masterpieces: they are both extremely light thanks to a manufacturing system that utilizes an alloy box section. Their movement is governed by an unusual Double System, pneumatic shock that removes the need for a spring, further enhancing overall lightness.
The front section of the Tesi 2D is uniquely innovative: Instead of employing the classic fork, the Tesi 2D has a technologically advanced aluminum swing arm that separates the steering system from the damping system to offer perfect handling in all situations. Trail and steering angle remain constant on the Tesi 2D under all conditions, creating more neutral front wheel behavior when cornering, as well as a more constant braking sensation.
This steering concept is possible thanks to the Di Fazio System.
Bimota Tesi 2D Specifications
- Frame: Omega machined aluminium alloy
- Wheelbase: 1375 mm / 54.1 in
- Rake: Fully adjustable
- Front suspension: Progressive linkage with fully adjustable Double System monoshock
- Front wheel travel: 120 mm / 4.7 in
- Front brake: 2 x 320 mm semi-floating discs, 4-piston callipers - Brembo
- Front wheel: 6 spoke design light alloy forged 3.50x17
- Front tyre: 120/70 ZR 17
- Rear suspension: Direct linkage with fully adjustable Double System monoshock
- Rear wheel travel: 120 mm / 4.7 in
- Rear brake: 220 mm disc, 2-piston caliper
- Rear wheel: 6 spoke design light alloy forged 5.50x17
- Rear tyre: 180/55 ZR 17
- Fuel tank capacity: 13 l / 3.4 US gal (including 3 l / 0.8 US gal reserve)
- Weight: 149 kg / 340,6 lbs (includes battery, lubricants and cooling liquid, where applicable)
- Seat height: 830 mm / 32.7 in
- Instruments: Speedometer, rev counter, high beam indicator, direction indicators, oil pressure warning light, low fuel warning light, neutral light
- Type: Ducati - L twin cylinder, 2 valves per cylinder Desmodromic; air cooled
- Displacement: 992 cc
- Bore x Stroke: 94x71.5
- Compression ratio: 10,5:1
- Fuel injection: Electronic fuel injection, 45 mm throttle body
- Exhaust: Aluminium muffler with catalytic converter
- Emissions: Euro 2
- Gearbox: 6 speed
- Ratios: 1st 37/15, 2nd 30/17, 3rd 27/20, 4th 24/22, 5th 23/24, 6th 24/28
- Primary drive: Straight cut gears (ratio 32/59)
- Final drive: Chain; Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 38
- Clutch: Dry multi-plate with hydraulic control