Harley-Davidson took their notorious Fat Boy model, lowered it and gave it a nice custom look before calling it a 2010 model year. The bike features the lowest seat in the American maker’s entire lineup and still the proven Twin Cam 96B V-Twin engine and six-speed Cruise Drive transmission. The colors available for 2010 are Vivid Black and Black Denim.
HARLEY-DAVIDSON® FAT BOY® LO REPRISES A COOL CUSTOM ICON
Lower and Darker than the Original, with Undeniable Street Presence
The 2010 Fat Boy Lo motorcycle is a new riff on one of the greatest hits to ever roll out of the Harley-Davidson design studio. Darker and lower than that original icon of fat-custom style, the Fat Boy Lo retains the bold presence of the Fat Boy while offering a fresh interpretation of the motorcycle that still defines the segment.
Dressed in satin chrome and denim black, the Fat Boy Lo model features a reshaped seat and handlebar that places its rider "in" the motorcycle, with the lowest seat height of any Harley-Davidson model. The half-moon footboards, black wheels and leather tank panel help Fat Boy Lo rock to a singular, fat-custom beat.
The Fat Boy Lo is a Harley-Davidson Softail® model with a rear-suspension design that mimics the lines of a vintage hardtail frame, but offers the comfort of modern suspension that is hidden under the chassis. A horseshoe oil tank located below the seat, forward foot controls or foot boards, and the classic five-gallon Fat Bob® fuel tank are notable styling details of each Softail model.
A counter-balanced Twin Cam 96B™ V-Twin powertrain, rigid-mounted in the frame, powers the Fat Boy Lo model. The rigid powertrain allows tight packaging of the engine within the frame. Rated at 93.67 ft. lbs. of peak torque at 3000 rpm, the engine features Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) and is finished in black powdercoat with bright machined highlights on the cylinder fins, and satin-chrome engine and primary drive covers. The 6-Speed Cruise Drive® transmission features a new helical-cut fifth gear for smooth operation.
Key Fat Boy Lo Features
* The rear suspension is lowered by 1.15 inches to give the Fat Boy Lo model a road-hugging stance. Seat height is just 24.25 inches, the lowest of any Harley-Davidson model.
* A new seat is narrower, which along with the low seat height makes it possible for almost any rider to place both feet flat on the ground when the motorcycle is at rest.
* Stainless steel 1.25-inch-diameter handlebar features internal wiring for an uncluttered control area. This handlebar is narrower than the Fat Boy handlebar.
* Nostalgic half-moon rider footboards are finished in gloss black.
* Bullet Hole Disc Cast Aluminum 17-inch wheels front and rear have black centers and machined outer rims. Tire sizes are 200 mm-17 rear and 140 mm-17 front.
* Rolled-edge front fender and full-coverage rear fender.
* Fat Bob fuel tank topped with a satin-chrome console with speedometer and ignition switch, a leather tank panel with Harley-Davidson medallion, and satin-chrome tank side badges.
* Over/under shotgun exhaust with satin-chrome mufflers and muffler shields, and flat-black header shields.
* Denim black finish is applied to the following components: frame, swingarm, front shock covers, derby cover, horn cover, coil cover, oil tank, and air cleaner cover.
* Gloss black finish is applied to these components: triple clamp covers and nacelle, headlight bucket, air cleaner cover trim ring, rear fender supports, footboards.
Engine and Transmission
Engine: Air-cooled, Twin Cam 96BTM
Valves: Pushrod-operated, overhead valves with hydraulic, self-adjusting lifters; two valves per cylinder
Bore x Stroke: 3.75 in. x 4.38 in. (95.25 mm x 111.25 mm)
Displacement: 96 cu. in. (1584 cc)
Compression Ratio: 9.2:1
Fuel System: Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
Air Cleaner: Paper, washable
Lubrication System: Pressurized, dry-sump
Primary Drive: Chain, 34/46 ratio
Final Drive: Belt, 32/66 ratio
Clutch: Multi-plate, wet
Transmission: 6-Speed Cruise Drive
Gear Ratios (overall): U.S.
• 1st 9.311
• 2nd 6.454
• 3rd 4.793
• 4th 3.882
• 5th 3.307
• 6th 2.790
Engine Torque (per SAE J1349):
• North America: 93.67 ft. lbs. @ 3000 rpm (127.0 Nm @ 3000 rpm)
Lean Angle (per SAE J1168):
• Right: 25.6°
• Left: 25.2°
Fuel Economy (EPA urban/highway test): 35/54 mpg (6.72/4.36 L/100 km)
Chassis and Dimensions
Frame: Mild steel tubular frame; rectangular section backbone; stamped, cast, and forged junctions; forged fender supports; MIG welded
Swingarm: Mild steel, round tube sections, forged junctions; MIG welded
Front Forks: 41.30 mm telescopic, “beer can” covers
Rear Shocks: Hidden, horizontal-mounted, coil-over
Wheels: Black, Bullet Hole Disc Cast Aluminum
• Front: 17 in. x 3.50 in. (431.80 mm x 88.90 mm)
• Rear: 17 in. x 6 in. (431.80 mm x 152.40 mm
• Caliper Type: 4-piston front and 2-piston rear
• Rotor Type (diameter x width): Patented, uniform expansion rotors
• Front: 11.50 in. x .20 in. (292.10 mm x 5.08 mm)
• Rear: 11.50 in. x .23 in. (292.10 mm x 5.84 mm)
• Front Wheel: 5.10 in. (129.54 mm)
• Rear Wheel: 3.60 in. (91.44 mm)
Length: 94.30 in. (2395.22 mm)
Overall Width: 39.20 in. (995.68 mm)
Overall Height: 44.30 in. (1125.22 mm)
• Laden: 24.25 in. (615.95 mm)
• Unladen: 26.35 in. (669.29 mm)
Ground Clearance: 4.80 in. (121.92 mm
Rake (steering head): 31.6°
Fork Angle: 31.6°
Trail: 5.80 in. (147.32 mm)
Wheelbase: 64.50 in. (1638.30 mm)
Tires (Dunlop® Harley-Davidson Series, radial blackwall front and rear):
• Front – D408F: 140/75R17 67V
• Rear – D407: 200/55R17 78V
Fuel Capacity (warning light at approximately 1 gal.): 5 gal. (18.93 L)
Oil Capacity (w/filter): 3.50 qts. (3.31 L)
Transmission Capacity: 1 qts. (0.95 L)
Primary Chain Case Capacity: 1 qts. (0.95 L)
• As Shipped: 700 lbs. (317.52 kg)
• In Running Order: 731.25 lbs. (331.70 kg)
• Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 1160 lbs. (526.18 kg)
• Front: 430 lbs. (195.05 kg)
• Rear: 730 lbs. (331.13 kg)
Battery (per Battery Council International Rating): Sealed, maintenance-free, 12V, 19-amp/hour, 270 cca
Charging: Three-phase, 38-amp system (439W @ 13V, 2000 rpm, 489W max power @ 13V)
Starting: 1.2 kW electric with solenoid shift starter motor engagement
Lights (as per country regulation):
• Headlamp (quartz halogen): 55-watt low beam, 60-watt high beam
• Tail/Stop Lights: 8W/28W (5W/21W)
• Turn Signal Lights: 28W (21W) self-canceling
• Indicator Lamps: High beam, neutral, low oil pressure, turn signals, engine diagnostics, security system8 (optional), 6-speed, low fuel warnings
Warranty: 24 months (unlimited mileage)
Service Interval: First 1,000 miles (1,600 km), every 5,000 miles (8,000 km) thereafter
Solids: • Vivid Black
• Black Denim
Vivid Black: $16,299