As hard as it may be to believe, Harley-Davidson’s XR1200X model was only available in Europe ever since it was introduced a year ago, keeping Americans away from the bike’s 74 pound-feet of torque at 4000 rpm and 40-degree lean angle, not to mention the impressive looks. But it is all over now that Harley announced that the 2011 model year comes stateside (how does that even sound considering the American company’s huge fan clubs stretching from coast to coast).
For a price of $11,799, the 2011 Harley-Davidson XR1200X offers a lot. To begin with, the sports bike features Showa Big Piston front forks with adjustable rebound, compression and preload working together with the dual Showa rear shocks with 36mm pistons and piggyback nitrogen-charged reservoirs. Also, the front brakes – 292mm full-floating rotors and four-piston calipers – are supplied by Nissin.
But this bike is definitely all about the looks and with the rider positioned in a rather sporty riding position – at 29.2 inches from the ground, gripping on rear-mount pegs and holding on to dirt track-style handlebars – it will most likely be a hit in the States as well. So the question remains: why would H-D test the old continent market before introducing the bike here? Anyway, colors available for 2011 are Black Denim and White Hot Denim.
XR1200X™ TAKES SPORTSTER® PERFORMANCE TO A NEW LEVEL
Fully-Adjustable Premium Suspension and Full-Floating Front Brake Rotors
MILWAUKEE (June 3, 2010) – The XR1200X is Harley-Davidson® Sportster performance honed to its finest edge. Introduced in 2010 for export markets only, the XR1200X will be available through Harley-Davidson dealers in the United States as a 2011 model. Equipped with fully-adjustable Showa® front and rear suspension components, the 2011 XR1200X can be dialed in to match rider weight, riding style and road conditions. The XR1200X combines this premium suspension with enhanced front brakes and the responsive punch of a high-compression, 1200cc Evolution® V-Twin engine in a dynamic, street-performance motorcycle.
With a tank and tail section designed to evoke the legendary Harley-Davidson XR750 – the king of the gritty American flat-track scene – the XR1200X puts its mechanical character on display. Wide flat-track bars and rearset footpegs position an assertive rider for active control. The XR1200X has a blacked-out powertrain and exhaust, revised tank graphics, and black wheels with an orange rim pinstripe. The XR1200X will be offered in two colors: Black Denim and White Hot Denim.
Key XR1200X Features
- Showa Big Piston Front fork (BPF) eliminates many of the internal components used in a cartridge-type fork, resulting in lighter overall fork weight. The large-diameter of the BPF internal piston allows a reduction in damping pressure for outstanding feedback and smooth action. Rebound and compression damping may be fine tuned with adjuster screws located on top of the fork bolts. The spring pre-load is adjusted with a M5 hex screw on the axle holders.
- Showa rear shocks feature 36mm pistons with piggy-back nitrogen charged reservoirs. The compression damping may be adjusted with a knob on top of the reservoir. Rebound is adjusted with a thumb wheel on the lower clevis. Rear spring pre-load is also adjustable.
- Nissin® dual front brakes feature 292mm full-floating rotors and four-piston calipers.
- Isolation-mounted XL Evolution 1200 cc V-Twin engine with black powdercoat finish features downdraft Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), high-performance camshafts, precision oil-cooled cylinder heads and a large-capacity oil cooler. Compression ratio is 10:1. The engine is rated at 74 ft. lbs. peak torque @ 4000 rpm (per SAE J1349).
- Upswept, high-volume 2-1-2 straight-shot exhaust system with satin black finish offers extra cornering clearance.
- Chassis features a high-performance designed tubular mild steel frame. The rigid, cast-aluminum swingarm is engineered to enhance handling.
- Dunlop® Qualifier D209 tires were designed specifically for the XR1200X.
- Three-spoke lightweight cast-aluminum wheels, 18-inch front / 17-inch rear, are finished in gloss black with an orange pinstripe on the rim.
- Wide, black dirt-track handlebar for enhanced steering leverage and comfort.
- Rearset foot pegs for additional cornering clearance.
- Compact instrument display with white-faced analog tachometer, digital speedometer, dual trip meter and clock.
- 3.5-gallon fuel tank with aircraft-style aluminum alloy fuel filler.
- 29.2-inch seat height with standard passenger pillion and foot pegs.
- Optional Harley-Davidson® Smart Security System.
Harley-Davidson Motor Company produces heavyweight custom, cruiser and touring motorcycles and offers a complete line of Harley-Davidson motorcycle parts, accessories, riding gear and apparel, and general merchandise. For more information, visit Harley-Davidson’s Web site at www.h-d.com/xr1200x.