The Harley-Davidson Road King was launched in 1994, but shortly after it managed to become a benchmark in its segment. The 2012 Harley-Davidson FLHR Road King looks like a timeless boulevard cruiser, but it is also a fully equipped, long-distance tourer.
As far as comfort goes, the 2012 Harley-Davidson FLHR Road King features a detachable windshield, an air-adjustable touring rear suspension and a comfortable seating position. You also get a set of spacious, standard saddlebags.
The Harley Davidson Road king is equipped with a 1690 cc Twin Cam 103 engine which sends power to the rear wheel through a 6-Speed Cruise Drive transmission. The engine’s fuel consumption is rated at 42 mpg.
Other features worth noting are the optional anti-lock braking system, Harley-Davidson’s Smart Security system, a six-gallon fuel tank and the electronic cruise control.
The bike is offered in a wide range of colors including Vivid Black, Big Blue Pearl, Midnight Pearl, Ember Red Sunglo/Merlot Sunglo.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2012 Harley-Davidson FLHR Road King.
Harley-Davidson offers more Big Twin performance for 2012 as its Twin Cam 103™ powertrain is standard equipment on Softail® and Touring motorcycle models and most Dyna® motorcycle models. Harley-Davidson will offer two new models for 2012. The V-Rod® 10th Anniversary Edition celebrates a decade of power-cruiser performance, while the new Dyna® Switchback is a convertible custom-touring motorcycle with detachable hard saddlebags and windshield. In addition, the Night Rod Special has significant updates for 2012 with refreshed bodywork and optimized rider ergonomics. Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO)TM rolls out the gleaming new CVO Road Glide® Custom, a limited-production, high-performance touring masterpiece.
Harley-Davidson believes every motorcycle it sells can be a custom of one. Harley-Davidson H-D1™ is a comprehensive offering of customization tools for the Harley-Davidson motorcycle owner. H-D1 tools include Harley-Davidson Genuine Motor Accessories listings in print and on-line catalogs, Fit Shop and consultation services at Harley-Davidson dealerships, and factory customization and Bike Builder tools on www.harley-davidson.com. H-D1 offers almost unlimited opportunities to optimize fit, function, style and performance and turn a Harley into a motorcycle that is truly personalized to its owner.
Harley- Davidson heads into 2012 with 32 models, each born of experience that spans generations and a passion for riding that will never diminish.
Highlights of the 2012 Harley-Davidson line include:
- The Twin Cam 103™ engine powers all 2012 Dyna®, Softail® and Touring models with the exception of the Dyna Street Bob® and Dyna Super Glide® Custom. This engine produces up to 100 ft lbs. peak torque, an increase of approximately 6 percent over the Twin Cam 96 engine it replaces as standard power for many of these models. The Twin Cam 103 is equipped with automatic compression release. It features identifying badges on the derby cover, timer cover and air cleaner trim ring.
- A Security Package that pairs Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Smart Security System with proximity-based, hands-free security fob is available for all 2012 V-Rod®, Dyna®, Softail®, Touring and CVO™ models. The Security Package is standard equipment on CVO™ models and on the Road Glide® Ultra, the Electra Glide® Ultra Limited, and the Road King® Classic. The Security Package is a factory-installed option for all other models.
- The Night Rod® Special is updated with new tapered tail section, lighter-weight wheels, an inverted front fork and improved ergonomics. Harley-Davidson celebrates a decade of power cruising with the V-Rod® 10th Anniversary Edition motorcycle, finished in Brilliant Silver Pearl bodywork that evokes the anodized aluminum bodywork of the original V-Rod model that introduced the liquid-cooled Revolution V-Twin engine in 2002. All V-Rod models will carry V-Rod 10th Anniversary badges.
- The new Dyna Switchback combines hard saddlebags and a windshield with the eager handling and Twin Cam 103 performance of the Dyna chassis. It’s a custom-touring bike ready for a long weekend trip, until the detachable bags and windshield are removed. Then in seconds the Switchback becomes a custom street cruiser with a gleaming headlamp nacelle, five-spoke cast-aluminum wheels and a mini-ape handlebar. This convertible concept makes the versatile Switchback two motorcycles in one.
- All Harley-Davidson Softail models get the performance boost of the Twin Cam 103 engine for 2012. The Fat Boy and Fat Boy Lo have a new reduced-reach handlebar for more-comfortable ergonomics. A lower, narrower seat shape places the Fat Boy rider in a new "in the bike" position. The Softail Deluxe and Heritage Softail Classic will be available with a new optional "tubeless" Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced wheel option for ease of tire replacement and repair. The Twin Cam 103 powertrain gives all Harley-Davidson Touring models assertive power for passing. On Touring models, the Twin Cam 103 is equipped with an oil cooler. All Touring models except the Ultra Limited will offer a new "tubeless" Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced wheel option.
- The Harley-Davidson Sportster® line appeals to a broad range of riders with six 2012 models ranging from the race-inspired XR1200X™ to the accessible SuperLow® to Dark Custom roadsters like the Iron 883™, Nightster® and Forty-Eight®. The Sportster® 1200 Custom can be personalized for fit, function and style with H-D1 factory customization, a process that allows customers to use the Bike Builder tool on harley-davidson.com to build the motorcycle from a selection of options that are installed as the bike is assembled by Harley-Davidson Motor Company or are installed by a dealer after the motorcycle is delivered. New 1200 Custom color options have been added to Bike Builder for 2012.
- The new CVO Road Glide Custom is one of four limited-production 2012 models from Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO)TM, each turned out with bold paint, gleaming chrome, and the most-powerful V-Twin engines offered in production Harley-Davidson motorcycles. CVO Road Glide Custom is a hot-rod bagger with a frame-mounted fairing topped with a smoked Wind Splitter windshield, a high-output, amplified Harman/Kardon® Advanced Audio system, and a color-matched, low-profile fuel tank console.
- NEW Rubber-mounted Twin Cam 103™ V-Twin engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) with heated O2 sensors and Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
- NEW Tubeless Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced wheel option
- NEW Paint color options
- Security Package Option including factory-installed Harley-Davidson® Smart Security System with hands-free fob and Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Black powder-coated powertrain with chrome covers
- Chrome 2-1-2 dual exhaust with tapered mufflers
- Black, 28-spoke Cast Aluminum wheels with narrow whitewall tires
- Chrome, low profile fuel tank console with electronic speedometer
- Clean rear fender and low-mounted license plate module with LED illumination
- Deep FL front fender with trim
- Stainless steel, ergonomic handlebar
- One-piece, two-up Road King® seat, sculpted for added comfort and easier straddling
- Clear, large Lexan® quick-release detachable windshield
- Injection-molded hard saddlebags, 2.26 cu. ft. volume
- Large Hiawatha headlight and chrome nacelle
- Auxiliary passing lights
When the original Harley-Davidson®
motorcycle was introduced in 1994, it didn’t
take long for it to obtain iconic status. Its
heritage goes all the way back to the original
1965 Electra Glide®
model. It may look like a
timeless boulevard cruiser, but it is also a fully
equipped, long-distance tourer.
The Road King®
model features a detachable
windshield, an air-adjustable touring rear
suspension, and a comfortable seating position
– just what rider and passenger demand for
long-distance comfort. Spacious, injectionmolded saddlebags are standard, making it
easy to pack for whatever lies ahead. The new,
standard 1690 cc Twin Cam 103™ engine
and 6-Speed Cruise Drive®
provide power and smoothness, and features
an integrated oil cooler. The Security Package
Option bundles an anti-lock braking system and
Smart Security system for
greater value, making it easier to upgrade your
ride straight from the factory.
- 6-Speed Cruise Drive® transmission with integrated Isolated Drive System (IDS)
- Dunlop® “Multi-Tread” rear tire construction extends tire life by 25 percent
- Brembo® 4-piston front and rear caliper with dual front rotor brake system
- Air-adjustable rear shocks
- Full-length rider footboards
- Height-adjustable passenger footboards
- Six-gallon fuel tank
- Optional Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Optional electronic cruise control
|Engine||Air-cooled Twin Cam 103™ |
with Integrated Oil-Cooler
|Fuel System||Electronic Sequential Port |
Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
|Transmission||6-Speed Cruise Drive®|
|Miles Per Gallon||42 MPG combined City/Hwy|
|Seat Height (laden) (in./mm)||26.5/673|
Series, bias narrow whitewall
|• Front||D408F NW 130/80B17 65H|
|• Rear||D407 NW 180/65B16 81H|
|• Front||Black 28-spoke |
17 in. x 3 in.
(432 mm x 76 mm)
|• Rear||Black 28-spoke |
16 in. x 5 in.
(406 mm x 127 mm)
|• Optional Style||Tubeless Chrome Aluminum |
|Fuel Capacity (U.S. gals/liters)||6/22.7|
|Weight as Shipped (lbs./kg)||775/351.5|
|Frame||Mild steel; tubular frame; two-piece |
stamped and welded backbone; cast
and forged junctions; twin downtubes;
bolt-on rear frame with forged fender
supports; MIG welded
|Swingarm||Mild steel; two-piece drawn and welded |
section; forged junctions; MIG welded
|Front Forks||41.3 mm telescopic|
|Wheels(Tubeless Chrome |
Aluminum Profile Laced option):
|Black 28-Spoke Cast Aluminum|
|• Front||17 in. x 3 in. (432 mm x 76 mm)|
|• Rear||16 in. x 5 in. (406 mm x 127 mm)|
|• Caliper Type||32 mm, 4-piston fixed front and rear|
|• Rotor Type|
(diameter x width):
|Patented, fixed rotors|
|• Front (dual)||11.81 in. x .2 in. (300 mm x 5.1 mm)|
|• Rear||11.81 in. x .28 in. (300 mm x 7.1 mm)|
|• Front Wheel||4.6 in. (117 mm)|
|• Rear Wheel||3 in. (76 mm)|
|Engineered for |
|Solids||Vivid Black, Big Blue Pearl|
|Two-Tones||Midnight Pearl, Ember Red Sunglo/|
Motorcycle USA----"With a fully fueled curb weight of 810 pounds there’s no denying that it’s a heavy motorcycle. But since Harley re-engineered its touring chassis in ’09 the Road King is surprisingly maneuverable. The handlebar is placed at a reasonable level with a relaxed sweep and doesn’t demand any unusual contortions. It also offers a fair amount of leverage which helps during low-speed parking lot maneuvers. Suspension components deliver a plush ride even over rough pavement yet in the corners the Road King offers acceptable level of damping for those who enjoy spirited cornering maneuvers. Ground clearance is also higher than we expected too. "