Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO) emphasizes exclusive styling and inspiring performance with four limited-production motorcycle models for 2012. Decked out with bold paint, gleaming chrome, high-output audio and the most-powerful V-Twin engines offered in production Harley-Davidson motorcycles, each CVO model is a rolling object of desire for the discerning motorcyclist.
The Harley-Davidson CVO Softail Convertible is a limited-production custom motorcycle that can be configured for all-day touring, two-up cruising or solo profiling by adding or detaching key components, which can be easily removed or installed without tools.
Power comes from an air-cooled, Twin Cam 1802 engine which sends power to the rear wheel through a six speed cruise drive transmission. The Softail rear suspension mimics the clean lines of a vintage hardtail frame, but offers the comfort of modern suspension that is hidden under the chassis.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2012 Harley-Davidson FLSTSE3 CVO Softail Convertible.
Harley-Davidson offers more Big Twin performance for 2012 as its Twin Cam 103™ powertrain is standard equipment on Softail® and Touring motorcycle models and most Dyna® motorcycle models. Harley-Davidson will offer two new models for 2012. The V-Rod® 10th Anniversary Edition celebrates a decade of power-cruiser performance, while the new Dyna® Switchback is a convertible custom-touring motorcycle with detachable hard saddlebags and windshield. In addition, the Night Rod Special has significant updates for 2012 with refreshed bodywork and optimized rider ergonomics. Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO)TM rolls out the gleaming new CVO Road Glide® Custom, a limited-production, high-performance touring masterpiece.
Harley-Davidson believes every motorcycle it sells can be a custom of one. Harley-Davidson H-D1™ is a comprehensive offering of customization tools for the Harley-Davidson motorcycle owner. H-D1 tools include Harley-Davidson Genuine Motor Accessories listings in print and on-line catalogs, Fit Shop and consultation services at Harley-Davidson dealerships, and factory customization and Bike Builder tools on www.harley-davidson.com. H-D1 offers almost unlimited opportunities to optimize fit, function, style and performance and turn a Harley into a motorcycle that is truly personalized to its owner.
Harley- Davidson heads into 2012 with 32 models, each born of experience that spans generations and a passion for riding that will never diminish.
Highlights of the 2012 Harley-Davidson line include:
- The Twin Cam 103™ engine powers all 2012 Dyna®, Softail® and Touring models with the exception of the Dyna Street Bob® and Dyna Super Glide® Custom. This engine produces up to 100 ft lbs. peak torque, an increase of approximately 6 percent over the Twin Cam 96 engine it replaces as standard power for many of these models. The Twin Cam 103 is equipped with automatic compression release. It features identifying badges on the derby cover, timer cover and air cleaner trim ring.
- A Security Package that pairs Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Smart Security System with proximity-based, hands-free security fob is available for all 2012 V-Rod®, Dyna®, Softail®, Touring and CVO™ models. The Security Package is standard equipment on CVO™ models and on the Road Glide® Ultra, the Electra Glide® Ultra Limited, and the Road King® Classic. The Security Package is a factory-installed option for all other models.
- The Night Rod® Special is updated with new tapered tail section, lighter-weight wheels, an inverted front fork and improved ergonomics. Harley-Davidson celebrates a decade of power cruising with the V-Rod® 10th Anniversary Edition motorcycle, finished in Brilliant Silver Pearl bodywork that evokes the anodized aluminum bodywork of the original V-Rod model that introduced the liquid-cooled Revolution V-Twin engine in 2002. All V-Rod models will carry V-Rod 10th Anniversary badges.
- The new Dyna Switchback combines hard saddlebags and a windshield with the eager handling and Twin Cam 103 performance of the Dyna chassis. It’s a custom-touring bike ready for a long weekend trip, until the detachable bags and windshield are removed. Then in seconds the Switchback becomes a custom street cruiser with a gleaming headlamp nacelle, five-spoke cast-aluminum wheels and a mini-ape handlebar. This convertible concept makes the versatile Switchback two motorcycles in one.
- All Harley-Davidson Softail models get the performance boost of the Twin Cam 103 engine for 2012. The Fat Boy and Fat Boy Lo have a new reduced-reach handlebar for more-comfortable ergonomics. A lower, narrower seat shape places the Fat Boy rider in a new "in the bike" position. The Softail Deluxe and Heritage Softail Classic will be available with a new optional "tubeless" Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced wheel option for ease of tire replacement and repair.
- The Twin Cam 103 powertrain gives all Harley-Davidson Touring models assertive power for passing. On Touring models, the Twin Cam 103 is equipped with an oil cooler. All Touring models except the Ultra Limited will offer a new "tubeless" Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced wheel option.
- The Harley-Davidson Sportster® line appeals to a broad range of riders with six 2012 models ranging from the race-inspired XR1200X™ to the accessible SuperLow® to Dark Custom roadsters like the Iron 883™, Nightster® and Forty-Eight®. The Sportster® 1200 Custom can be personalized for fit, function and style with H-D1 factory customization, a process that allows customers to use the Bike Builder tool on harley-davidson.com to build the motorcycle from a selection of options that are installed as the bike is assembled by Harley-Davidson Motor Company or are installed by a dealer after the motorcycle is delivered. New 1200 Custom color options have been added to Bike Builder for 2012.
- The new CVO Road Glide Custom is one of four limited-production 2012 models from Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO)TM, each turned out with bold paint, gleaming chrome, and the most-powerful V-Twin engines offered in production Harley-Davidson motorcycles. CVO Road Glide Custom is a hot-rod bagger with a frame-mounted fairing topped with a smoked Wind Splitter windshield, a high-output, amplified Harman/Kardon® Advanced Audio system, and a color-matched, low-profile fuel tank console.
NEW Three exclusive paint schemes:
- Crimson Red Sunglo with Scarlet Crystal Graphics
- Abyss Blue with Catacomb Graphics
- Satin Pewter with Catacomb Graphics
- NEW Detachable fairing with improved wind protection
- NEW Garmin® 660 with integrated MP3 player
- NEW Detachable, lockable, sealing Leather saddlebags with distressed brown leather (satin pewter only) or reptile inserts
- NEW Custom leather seat, removable passenger pillion, and detachable stylized passenger upright and backrest pad with distressed brown leather (satin pewter only) or reptile inserts
- Electronic throttle control with cruise control standard
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) standard
- Chrome, 1.25-inch internally-wired welded mini-ape handlebar
- Keyless ignition system with CVO™ backlit medallion on the tank console
- Extended jiffy leg
- Mirror Chrome Aluminum Stinger Custom wheels, 18-inch, with matching Stinger chrome sprocket and Stinger floating brake rotors
- Digital speedometer and analog tachometer with gray satin tint aluminum face
- High-flow Ventilator engine air intake with leather on insert and rain sock
- Color-coordinated frame and swingarm, frame inserts, and horseshoe oil tank
- Screamin’ Eagle® Twin Cam 110B™ Granite powder-coated powertrain with 110 Screamin’ Eagle® identifiers on cylinder heads
- Rumble Collection grips, rider floor boards, passenger peg, shifter pegs, brake pedal pad and mirrors
is a limited-production custom motorcycle that
can be configured for all-day touring, two-up
cruising or solo profiling by adding or detaching
key components, which can be easily removed or
installed without tools.
rear suspension mimics the clean
lines of a vintage hardtail frame but offers the
comfort of modern suspension that is hidden
under the chassis.
The rigid powertrain allows tight packaging of
the engine and frame and creates a solid
connection between the rider and the power
that moves the motorcycle.
- Black high-torque 1.4kW starter
- High-performance clutch with hydraulic actuation
- Harley-Davidson® Smart Security System
- Clutch line and brake line clamps
- Shorty chrome dual-exhaust with slashdown mufflers and heat shields
- Headlight trim ring, nacelle and back plate
- Front sliders and upper fork slider covers
- Wheel spacers
- Handlebar risers and caps
- Shifter, rear brake lever and forward control mounts
- Voltage regulator
- Rear brake master cylinder cover
- Switch housings
- Upper belt guard and debris deflector
- Sprocket bolt covers
- Valve stem caps
- Front and rear axle nut covers
- Pivot shaft covers
|Engine||Air-cooled, Twin Cam 110B™|
|Fuel System||Electronic Sequential Port |
Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
|Transmission||6-Speed Cruise Drive®|
|Miles Per Gallon||45 combined City/Hwy|
|Seat Height (laden) (in./mm)||24.4/620|
Series, radial blackwall
front and rear
|• Front||D408 130/70R18 63V|
|• Rear||D407 200/50R18 76V|
|• Front||Mirror Chrome Stinger Custom |
18 in. x 3.5 in.
(457 mm x 89 mm)
|• Rear||Mirror Chrome Stinger Custom |
18 in. x 6 in.
(457 mm x 152 mm)
|Fuel Capacity (U.S. gals/liters)||5.0/18.9|
|Weight as Shipped (lbs./kg)||761/345|
|Frame||Mild steel, tubular frame; rectangular |
section backbone; stamped, cast and
forged junctions; MIG welded; color
coordinated with vehicle
|Swingarm||Mild steel tube sections; forged |
junctions; MIG welded; color
coordinated with vehicle
|Front Forks||41.3 mm telescopic, chrome upper |
|Rear Shocks||Hidden, horizontal-mounted, coil-over|
|Wheels:||Mirror Chrome Stinger™ Custom Wheels|
|• Front||18 in. x 3.5 in. (457 mm x 89 mm)|
|• Rear||18 in. x 6 in. (457 mm x 152 mm)|
|• Caliper Type||4-piston fixed front; 2-piston floating rear|
|• Rotor Type|
(diameter x width):
|Single floating Stinger™ waved rotor|
|• Front||11.5 in. x .2 in. (292 mm x 5 mm)|
|• Rear||11.5 in. x .23 in. (292 mm x 6 mm)|
|• Front Wheel||5.1 in. (130 mm)|
|• Rear Wheel||3.3 in. (84 mm)|
|Color Options||Crimson Red Sunglo with |
Scarlet Crystal graphics, Abyss Blue with
Catacomb graphics, Satin Pewter with
RIDE Harley-Davidson----"Detachable compact fairing, saddlebags, passenger pillion and backrest make it possible to transform the CVO Softail Convertible from touring to cruising format in minutes. For 2012, a redesigned windshield significantly reduces turbulence to the rider and integrates a Road Tech™ zumo 660 GPS Navigator with an MP3 player. Turn-by-turn voice commands play over the two-speaker audio system. The detachable leather saddlebags match the seat and passenger backrest in either distressed brown leather or black leather with reptile inserts. A welded mini-ape handlebar adds a custom touch. Electronic cruise control, keyless ignition and an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) provide touring functionality."