The Blackline is a Harley-Davidson Softail pared to the bone with visual elements of the original bobber movement combined with a raw style embraced by today’s young bike builders. The rear fender is bobbed high-and-tight over a slim, 144 mm tire that emphasizes an authentic hardtail profile.
The rider hugs the frame on the lowest two-up seat offered by Harley-Davidson, while reaching high for the new Split Drag handlebar. The rigid powertrain allows tight packaging of the engine and frame to create a solid connection between the rider and the power that moves the Blackline.
Power comes from an air-cooled, twin cam 103B engine which has a displacement of 1690 cc. The engine is combined with a 6-Speed Cruise Drive gear box and delivers an average fuel consumption of 42 mpg (city/highway). As far as torque is concerned the Harley-Davidson Softail FXS Blackline puts out 134 Nm @ 3,250 rpm.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2012 Harley-Davidson Softail FXS Blackline.
Harley-Davidson offers more Big Twin performance for 2012 as its Twin Cam 103™ powertrain is standard equipment on Softail® and Touring motorcycle models and most Dyna® motorcycle models. Harley-Davidson will offer two new models for 2012. The V-Rod® 10th Anniversary Edition celebrates a decade of power-cruiser performance, while the new Dyna® Switchback is a convertible custom-touring motorcycle with detachable hard saddlebags and windshield. In addition, the Night Rod Special has significant updates for 2012 with refreshed bodywork and optimized rider ergonomics. Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO)TM rolls out the gleaming new CVO Road Glide® Custom, a limited-production, high-performance touring masterpiece.
Harley-Davidson believes every motorcycle it sells can be a custom of one. Harley-Davidson H-D1™ is a comprehensive offering of customization tools for the Harley-Davidson motorcycle owner. H-D1 tools include Harley-Davidson Genuine Motor Accessories listings in print and on-line catalogs, Fit Shop and consultation services at Harley-Davidson dealerships, and factory customization and Bike Builder tools on www.harley-davidson.com. H-D1 offers almost unlimited opportunities to optimize fit, function, style and performance and turn a Harley into a motorcycle that is truly personalized to its owner.
Harley- Davidson heads into 2012 with 32 models, each born of experience that spans generations and a passion for riding that will never diminish.
- The Twin Cam 103™ engine powers all 2012 Dyna®, Softail® and Touring models with the exception of the Dyna Street Bob® and Dyna Super Glide® Custom. This engine produces up to 100 ft lbs. peak torque, an increase of approximately 6 percent over the Twin Cam 96 engine it replaces as standard power for many of these models. The Twin Cam 103 is equipped with automatic compression release. It features identifying badges on the derby cover, timer cover and air cleaner trim ring.
- A Security Package that pairs Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Smart Security System with proximity-based, hands-free security fob is available for all 2012 V-Rod®, Dyna®, Softail®, Touring and CVO™ models. The Security Package is standard equipment on CVO™ models and on the Road Glide® Ultra, the Electra Glide® Ultra Limited, and the Road King® Classic. The Security Package is a factory-installed option for all other models.
- The Night Rod® Special is updated with new tapered tail section, lighter-weight wheels, an inverted front fork and improved ergonomics. Harley-Davidson celebrates a decade of power cruising with the V-Rod® 10th Anniversary Edition motorcycle, finished in Brilliant Silver Pearl bodywork that evokes the anodized aluminum bodywork of the original V-Rod model that introduced the liquid-cooled Revolution V-Twin engine in 2002. All V-Rod models will carry V-Rod 10th Anniversary badges.
- The new Dyna Switchback combines hard saddlebags and a windshield with the eager handling and Twin Cam 103 performance of the Dyna chassis. It’s a custom-touring bike ready for a long weekend trip, until the detachable bags and windshield are removed. Then in seconds the Switchback becomes a custom street cruiser with a gleaming headlamp nacelle, five-spoke cast-aluminum wheels and a mini-ape handlebar. This convertible concept makes the versatile Switchback two motorcycles in one.
- All Harley-Davidson Softail models get the performance boost of the Twin Cam 103 engine for 2012. The Fat Boy and Fat Boy Lo have a new reduced-reach handlebar for more-comfortable ergonomics. A lower, narrower seat shape places the Fat Boy rider in a new "in the bike" position. The Softail Deluxe and Heritage Softail Classic will be available with a new optional "tubeless" Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced wheel option for ease of tire replacement and repair.
- The Twin Cam 103 powertrain gives all Harley-Davidson Touring models assertive power for passing. On Touring models, the Twin Cam 103 is equipped with an oil cooler. All Touring models except the Ultra Limited will offer a new "tubeless" Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced wheel option.
- The Harley-Davidson Sportster® line appeals to a broad range of riders with six 2012 models ranging from the race-inspired XR1200X™ to the accessible SuperLow® to Dark Custom roadsters like the Iron 883™, Nightster® and Forty-Eight®. The Sportster® 1200 Custom can be personalized for fit, function and style with H-D1 factory customization, a process that allows customers to use the Bike Builder tool on harley-davidson.com to build the motorcycle from a selection of options that are installed as the bike is assembled by Harley-Davidson Motor Company or are installed by a dealer after the motorcycle is delivered. New 1200 Custom color options have been added to Bike Builder for 2012.
- The new CVO Road Glide Custom is one of four limited-production 2012 models from Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO)TM, each turned out with bold paint, gleaming chrome, and the most-powerful V-Twin engines offered in production Harley-Davidson motorcycles. CVO Road Glide Custom is a hot-rod bagger with a frame-mounted fairing topped with a smoked Wind Splitter windshield, a high-output, amplified Harman/Kardon® Advanced Audio system, and a color-matched, low-profile fuel tank console.
NEW Rigid-mounted, counter-balanced Twin Cam
103B™ V-Twin engine with Electronic Sequential
Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
NEW Paint color options
- Powertrain styling with gloss black powdercoat finish on the rocker box covers, crankcase, outer primary cover, and transmission side cover. The cylinders are silver powdercoat with machined highlights. The derby cover and timing covers are chromed.
- Round air cleaner cover in brilliant chrome
- Black Denim powdercoat frame and swingarm.
- Profile Laced aluminum wheels with black anodized rims
- Wide FX front end with black powdercoat triple clamps and black painted fork lowers.
- Split Drag™ internally-wired handlebar mounts directly to the top triple clamp
- Asymmetric five-gallon Softail® fuel tank is clean on the left side, with low-profile fuel fill on the right. Die cast “Blackline” trim panel flowing down the center of the tank covers the fuel pump hardware.
- Analog speedometer on a triple-clamp mount that also holds indicator lights. LCD screen on the speedometer includes low-fuel warning and “miles to empty” display function.
- Bobbed rear fender with combination stop/turn/tail lights in black housings, and a new composite license plate holder and light module that mounts on the lower edge of the fender.
- Raw forged rear fender supports are finished in Black Denim powdercoat
- One-piece, two-up seat and passenger pillion. Laden rider seat height is 24 inches, the lowest two-up seat offered by Harley-Davidson.
- 5.75-inch diameter headlamp in gloss black shell
- Polished forward foot controls.
- Over/under chrome shotgun exhaust
The Blackline™ is a Harley-Davidson®
pared to the bone. Visual elements of the original
bobber movement are combined with the raw,
hand-hewn style embraced by today’s young
builders. Up front you’ll find the unique Split
Drag™ handlebar and triple clamp-mounted
speedo. Out back is a skinny, 144 mm rear tire
and chopped fender. And in between rides a
sleek fuel tank with low-profile fuel cap and trim
panel, a retro round air-cleaner and a lowerthan-low 24-inch seat height. And for 2012, it
all rides on top of a powerful Twin Cam 103B®
engine. The Blackline model gets all the details
right without adding anything unnecessary,
reflecting the true spirit of the long, black road.
The Softail rear suspension mimics the clean
lines of a vintage hardtail frame but offers the
comfort of a modern suspension that is hidden
under the chassis. The rigid powertrain allows
tight packaging of the engine and frame and
creates a solid connection between the rider and
the power that moves the motorcycle.
- 6-speed Cruise Drive® transmission
- Horseshoe oil tank
- Optional Harley-Davidson® Smart Security System with hands-free security fob
|Engine||Air-cooled, Twin Cam 103B™|
|Fuel System||Electronic Sequential Port |
Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
|Transmission||6-Speed Cruise Drive®|
|Miles Per Gallon||42 MPG combined City/Hwy|
|Seat Height (laden) (in./mm)||24/610|
|• Front||D402F MH90-21 54H|
|• Rear||D402 MU85B16 77H|
|• Front||Black Anodized |
Profile Laced Aluminum
21 in. x 2.15 in.
(533 mm x 55 mm)
|• Rear||Black Anodized |
Profile Laced Aluminum
16 in. x 3 in.
(406 mm x 76 mm)
|Fuel Capacity (U.S. gals/liters)||5/18.9|
|Weight as Shipped (lbs./kg)||638.5/290|
|Frame||Mild steel tubular frame; rectangular |
section backbone; stamped, cast,
and forged junctions; forged fender
supports; MIG welded
|Swingarm||Mild steel, round tube sections, |
forged junctions; MIG welded
|Front Forks||41.3 mm telescopic|
|Rear Shocks||Hidden, horizontal-mounted, coil-over|
|Wheels:||Black Anodized Aluminum Profile Laced|
|• Front||21 in. x 2.15 in. (533 mm x 55 mm)|
|• Rear||16 in. x 3 in. (406 mm x 76 mm)|
|• Caliper Type||4-piston front and 2-piston rear|
|• Rotor Type|
(diameter x width):
|Patented, uniform expansion rotors|
|• Front||11.5 in. x .2 in. (292 mm x 5.1 mm)|
|• Rear||11.5 in. x .23 in. (292mm x 5.8 mm)|
|• Anti-lock Braking System||Available|
|Solids||Vivid Black, Black Denim|
|Two-Tones||Big Blue Pearl/Vivid Black, H-D Orange/Vivid Black|
Ultimate Motorcycling----"With this no-nonsense power comes no non-sense styling, from the SplitDrag Handlebar and tripleclamp mounted speedo, to the 2012 Harley-Davidson Blackline’s Softail rear-suspension mimics a bobber-hardtail platform, but offers the comfort of modern suspension hidden beneath the chassis."