The Honda DN-01 only made its debut a few years ago at the 2005 Tokyo Motor Show, marking the first time the world saw Honda ’s “comfortable sports cruiser." In the process, the DN-01 launched a completely new motorcycle category, one that featured bikes that delivered strong V-twin performance delivered through a continuously variable HFT transmission.
After years of testing and development, the DN-01 was officially launched for production in 2009, boasting of the same styling features it had during its 2005 debut while also carrying technological advancements from the concept version.
There are many things about the bike that scream one-of-a-kind. It’s not individual parts that do this, but the combination of all these parts that make for a completely exciting set-up. For starters, the low-slung, aerodynamic form hints at the bike’s sporting intentions and is reinforced by the three-piston, dual disc brakes in prominent view on the DN-01’s 41mm front fork and 17" alloy front wheel. In addition, the DN-01 comes with an impressive 680cc liquid-cooled four-valve V-twin engine that’s mated to a continuously variable HFT transmission with a hydromechanical design that features two automatic modes and a six-speed manual mode with push-button shifting.
Put everything together and its obvious that the DN-01 is a new-age bike for the new-age customer. Fans of cruiser bikes will love the flat, low saddle, the V-twin power and the shaft drive while technophiles will enjoy the bike’s programmed digital fuel injection system (PGM-FI), the anti-lock, combined braking system, and the modern digital instrumentation.
At the end of the day, the DN-01 is a motorcycle, one that Honda engineers clearly set out to create with the intent of revolutionizing the market. The bike’s overall tenet of combining a true sporting performance with a fully automatic transmission, a low seat height, and exceptional style all comes to life on the DN-01.
Find out more about full specs of the Honda DN-01 after the jump.
- Compact 680cc liquid-cooled SOHC 52-degree V-twin provides substantial torque and power for everyday commuting and spirited backroad riding. Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI, see Technology Section) with twin 40mm throttle bodies and high-performance 12-hole injectors provide excellent throttle response and fuel economy while contributing to low emissions.
- Auto enrichment system is integrated into PGM-FI to optimize the air/fuel mixture on cold starts and eliminates the need for a choke.
- ECU-controlled, closed-loop emissions control system with oxygen sensor manage the air/fuel mixture and reduce exhaust emissions.
- Front-mounted radiator receives ducted air from fairing shroud to maximize cooling. 2-into-1 stainless steel exhaust system with chrome-plated triangular-shaped tailpipe is designed to centralize mass for improved handling.
- HFT offers two fully automatic, infinitely variable transmission modes—"D" (Drive) mode for ordinary riding, and "S" (Sport) mode for sharper acceleration. In addition, a push-button-selectable, six-speed manual mode allows the rider to upshift/downshift with the simple operation of left-thumb-activated buttons.
- The ECU-controlled HFT automatically "downshifts" when climbing steep grades to maintain optimum power.
- HFT provides "lock-up" in cruising mode for maximum fuel economy.
- HFT features button-activated mechanical neutral, permitting engine revving when stopped. Mechanical neutral is automatically engaged whenever the engine is turned off, allowing easy maneuverability.
- Sturdy double-cradle steel tube frame provides exceptional strength and bolt-on seat rail simplifies servicing.
- Stout 41mm front fork with 4.2 inches of supple travel and progressive damping.
- Relaxed 28.5-degree rake and 4.5 inches of trail contribute to comfortable, stretched-out riding position and provide excellent straight-line handling.
- Single shock, Pro Arm Rear Suspension (see Technology Section).
- CBS plus ABS braking (see Technology Section) with two lightweight 296mm floating front rotors and a single 276mm rear rotor.
- Handsome, lightweight 17-inch five-spoke cast aluminum wheels with Z-rated 130/70 ZR17 (front) and 190/50 ZR17 (rear) radial tires offer sport-touring traction and comfort in wet and dry riding conditions.
- The DN-01’s sleek, aerodynamic bodywork is functional and beautiful.
- Low, polycarbonate windshield allows some air into the cockpit at lower speeds.
- Low 27.2-inch seat height with wide passenger seat provides all-day riding comfort and allows rider to put both feet down at stops or when parking the motorcycle.
- Well-placed mirrors provide an excellent rear view. Spacious rider footboards enhance riding comfort without compromising cornering performance.
- Handy one-touch, cable-actuated parking brake.
- White LED-backlit, LCD instrument panel provides multi-segment tachometer and large digital speedometer displays with dual-trip calculator, clock, six-segment fuel gauge and large turn signal and "neutral" indicators.
- Mass-centralized 4.0-gallon dual-compartment fuel tank with 0.8-gallon reserve.
- Dual-element headlights provide right-side low-beam operation—just like Honda CBR® models—while both beams illuminate in high-beam mode. A brilliant multi-segment LED taillight is integrated into the rear cowl.
- Widely spaced turn indicators are mounted on rearview mirrors for style and function.
- Detachable seat provides storage for a U-lock. (Lock not included.)
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- When you buy a new Honda Powersports Product, you may be eligible to receive a complimentary one-year membership in the Honda Riders Club of America®, which includes an exclusive Members-only magazine, rider training benefits, access to the -Members-only Clubhouse Web site and much more. Some limitations apply. For more information on the HRCA®, log on to hrca.honda.com.
Honda Genuine Accessories
- A Custom-Styled Backrest for extra passenger comfort.
- Rugged, full-coverage Body Cover.
- Center Cowl Cover (chrome or carbon fiber) to protect fuel tank.
- Gold Emblems - Kit includes gold colored 3-D badges (two "DN-01" and two "Honda" emblems).
|Engine Type||680cc liquid-cooled 52o V-Twin|
|Bore and Stroke||81mm x 66mm|
|Valve Train||SOHC; four valves per cylinder|
|Induction||PGM-FI with automatic enrichment circuit, 40mm throttle bodies and 12-hole injectors|
|Ignition||Digital transistorized with electronic advance|
|Transmission||HFT continuously variable, hydromechanical two-mode automatic with six-speed manual mode.|
|Suspension Front||41mm telescopic fork with 4.2 inches travel|
|Suspension Rear||Pro Arm single-side swingarm with single shock, seven-position spring preload adjustability; 4.7 inches travel|
|Brakes Front||ABS and CBS with dual full-floating 296mm discs and three-piston calipers|
|Brakes Rear||ABS and CBS with single 276mm disc and three-piston caliper|
|Tires||Front: 130/70 ZR17 radial|
|Rear||190/50 ZR17 radial|
|Rake (Caster angle)||28.5o|
|Trail||114mm (4.5 inches)|
|Seat Height||27.2 inches|
|Fuel Capacity||4.0 gallons, including 0.8-gallon reserve|
|Color||Candy Dark Red, Black|
|Curb Weight||595 pounds|