- liquid-cooled, fuel-injected engine
- Honda automatic five-speed transmission
- 420 L
The Honda FourTrax Rancher is a customizable heaven for ATV customers. Not only does it offer a choice of transmission between a fully automatic version or an Electronic Shift program that allows for push-button shifts on command, it also offers a steady mix of solid engines with wide torque bands, a sturdy chassis, and an excellent suspension set-up.
In terms of the powertrain, the FourTrax Rancher comes with a dependable 420cc liquid-cooled, fuel-injected engine that comes with either a Honda automatic five-speed transmission featuring auto-shifting or a manual shifting push-button featuring Honda’s very own Electric Shift Program. On top of that, the ATV was also built using a rugged frame and suspension set-up that provides an exceptional 9.1" of ground clearance. Meanwhile, the independent double-wishbone front suspension uses premium shock absorbers to provide 6.3" of wheel travel for a plush, comfortable ride while also minimizing geometry variations, maintaining rear wheel alignment, and contributing to more responsive overall handling.
Overall, the Honda FourTrax Rancher is considered one of the best ATVs in the market, thanks to its impressive blend of innovation, sophistication, and hard-working credentials. Add that with the company’s aggressive ATV technology and you have an ATV that delivers premium performance while also providing one of the best values for your hard-earned money.
There’s a reason why the FourTrax Rancher has been one of the best-selling line of ATVs in America. The plethora of new features on the 2012 model only adds to the model’s ever-increasing popularity amongst ATV fans in the land.
Find out more about the Honda FourTrax Rancher’s full specs after the jump.
- Powerful 420cc longitudinally mounted engine eliminates 90-degree power transfers and boasts exceptional horsepower and torque. Overhead-valve design provides compact engine dimensions for excellent ground clearance.
- Cylinder head redesigned with higher compression, revised camshaft profile and larger intake valves (38 vs. 35mm) and exhaust valves (33 vs. 30mm) to ensure strong mid-range and top-end power.
- Programmed Fuel-Injection (PGM-FI) features a 34mm throttle body, 12-hole Denso injector, and Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) for crisp performance, excellent economy and trouble-free operation in cold conditions and varying altitudes.
- Large 7.2-liter airbox with washable, reusable foam air filter provides more air to the engine for increased performance.
- New high-capacity oil system features a high-flow filter and a two-rotor pump to provide oil for the engine and the pressurized transmission clutches.
- Rubber-cushion engine mounting and gear-driven counterbalancer reduce vibration.
- Large radiator with cooling fan ensures optimal engine cooling under difficult operating conditions.
- Stainless-steel exhaust header and muffler for superior corrosion resistance.
- Three-chamber muffler baffling uses no packing material that can blow out, providing long-lasting performance.
- New lightweight, automatic transmission offers fivespeed auto-shifting or push-button manual shifting with Honda’s Electric Shift Program (ESP). After the heavy duty centrifugal clutch engages, two Electronic Control Module (ECM)-controlled clutches mounted in the gearbox upshift/downshift to provide smooth, lurch-free shifts. When descending hills in automatic mode, the transmission downshifts, providing excellent engine braking.
- If the rider forgets to downshift when stopping in ESP mode, the transmission downshifts to third gear to prevent engine lugging.
- Excellent fuel economy results from the transmission’s high efficiency.
- TraxLok 4WD/2WD selector lever allows 4WD or 2WD operation.
- Rugged frame and suspension provide an exceptional 9.1 inches of ground clearance.
- Independent double-wishbone front suspension uses premium shock absorbers to provide 6.3 inches of wheel travel for a plush, comfortable ride.
- Honda’s double wishbone, Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) provides 6.3 inches of wheel travel and minimizes geometry variations as the suspension travels through its stroke, maintaining rear wheel alignment, contributing to responsive overall handling, and reducing tire wear and maintenance intervals.
- Revolutionary Electric Power Steering (EPS).
- Dual hydraulic front and single rear disc brakes provide exceptional stopping power and feature brake pads that minimize wear from dust and sand.
- Rear center disc brake and self-adjusting mechanical rear parking brake are mounted on the rear driveshaft, contributing to the AT’s considerable ground clearance.
- Tough, large-diameter 24x8-12 front, and wide 24x10-11 rear tires provide excellent ground clearance while maintaining precise handling.
- Engine design produces low emissions and meets EPA and California Air Resources Board (CARB) off-road emissions standards.
- Convenient electric starting, with optional recoil starter and an automatic internal-decompression system.
- Large, lightweight plastic fuel tank with 3.5-gallon capacity
- Multifunction LCD digital instrumentation is compact, tough and waterproof, featuring large readouts for gear position, speedometer, odometer, resettable tripmeter and hour meter. Instrument housing includes indicator lights for Reverse, Neutral, water-temperature, PGM-FI, 4WD and Power Steering (for EPS model).
- Thickly padded seat provides all-day comfort.
- Large cargo racks front and rear carry payloads of 66 and 133 pounds, respectively.
- Heavy-duty trailer hitch with 850-pound towing capacity.
- Snorkel-type air-intake system is specially designed to resist water.
- Closed crankcase vent system safeguards against engine oil contamination.
- USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler designed for quiet operation without wool packing for long-lasting performance.
- Powerful 371-watt AC generator.
- Tough 12-amp-hour maintenance-free battery.
- Twin-headlight system with 30-watt bulbs features multireflector lenses for optimal light distribution.
- Combination LED stoplight and taillight.
- Durable, comfortable, easy-to-use controls.
- Keyed ignition switch for added security.
- Large fenders give excellent mud protection.
- Specially designed floorboards allow the rider’s feet to grip the footrests while helping to keep mud and debris away.
- Full-length synthetic lower skid plate with integrated front brush guard.
- Constant-velocity-joint boot guards help prevent damage to boot covers.
- Handlebar switches, controls and warning labels use easy-to-understand graphic labels.
- Standard equipment includes a tire-pressure gauge.
- Assembled in Timmonsville, South Carolina.
- Transferable one-year limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Purchase of a new, previously unregistered Honda USAcertified unit by an individual retail user in the United States qualifies the owner for a one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Riders Club of America (HRCA). Visit www.hrca.honda.com for details.
- Flag Kit.
- Recoil Starter.
- 12-Volt Accessory Socket.
|MODEL||TRX420FA9/TRX420FPA9 (with EPS)|
|ENGINE TYPE||420cc liquid-cooled OHV semi-dry-sump longitudinally mounted single-cylinder four-stroke|
|BORE AND STROKE||86.5mm x 71.5mm|
|INDUCTION||Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI), 34mm throttle body|
|IGNITION||Full-transistorized type with electronic advance|
|STARTER||Electric with optional auxiliary recoil|
|TRANSMISSION||Automatic/ESP five-speed with Reverse|
|DRIVELINE||Direct front and rear driveshafts|
|SUSPENSION Front||Independent double-wishbone; 6.3 inches travel|
|SUSPENSION Rear||Independent double-wishbone; 6.3 inches travel|
|BRAKESFront||Dual hydraulic discs|
|BRAKES Rear||Single hydraulic disc|
|SEAT HEIGHT||32.4 inches|
|GROUND CLEARANCE||9.1 inches|
|TURNING RADIUS||10.5 feet|
|FUEL CAPACITY||3.5 gallons (including 1.0 gallon reserve)|
|COLORS||Black, Red, Olive, Natural Gear Camouflage|
|CURB WEIGHT||623/642 pounds|