Honda’s dirt bikes are among the best models in their segment and the XR650L makes no exception. This bike puts off road performance on the first place and regardless of what type of road lies beneath you, it is able to deal with it with poise. Whether it’s the off road or on-the-road, the XR650L spews out versatility, thanks to a great combination of power, suspension, durability, and fuel efficiency. The Honda XR650L also offers all the benefits of light weight, smart electric starter and excellent fuel economy.
Power comes from a strong 644cc overhead cam engine that is able to keep the bike lively in any situation. Meanwhile, the air cooling lessens the maintenance chores along with the engine’s gear-driven counterbalancer, which declines tiring vibrations.
As far as suspensions are concerned, the Honda XR650L is packed with a 43mm air-adjustable leading-axle Showa cartridge fork up front and a rear Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload, 20-position compression and 20-position rebound damping adjustability.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2012 Honda XR650L.
If you’re looking for one motorcycle that can do it all, Honda’s time-tested XR650L is that machine. Off-road it has the power, suspension, and durability a dirt rider demands. On-road its light overall weight, electric starter and excellent fuel economy make it the perfect commuter, even for long trips.
Its bulletproof 644cc overhead cam engine produces huge torque and power. Air cooling keeps things simple and reduces maintenance chores. And the engine’s gear-driven counterbalancer reduces tiring vibrations.
Baja tough, the XR650L has the versatility to take you anywhere you want to go on a motorcycle, without the hassle of having to trailer a dirtbike. New graphics for 2012 keep it looking up to date, too.
Electric to Start. Electric to Ride.
The XR650L’s push-button electric start means it’s easy to get going, even on cold mornings or if your bike’s been sitting all week. The proven design and components make it super reliable, too.
The 650 that Beat Baja.
Honda’s air-cooled 600-class motorcycles were perfected in Baja, so you know the XR650L can easily handle your daily commute. Powerful, compact, durable and fuel efficient, you can’t beat it.
Features of Honda XR650L
Check out the features that make the XR650L such a competent machine on both the street and in the dirt: Semi-double-cradle steel frame. 43mm Showa cartridge fork with 16-position compression damping adjustability. Lightweight aluminum box-section swingarm with quick-detach rear wheel. Items like that make it a great dirt bike, while front and rear disc brakes, push-button electric starter, and a compact speedometer, steel fuel tank, and superior fuel economy make it an excellent street machine.
Turn the key and push the button—that’s all it takes to get your XR650L going. The electric starter takes all the drama out of restarting off road, or getting underway on a cold morning or after the bike’s been sitting all week.
The XR650L is fully equipped for the street: Horn, turn blinkers, license-plate light, mirrors, speedometer and more. There’s even a grab strap and foot pegs for a passenger.
Dry-sump design keeps the engine compact and eliminates the oil pan for superior ground clearance and damage resistance. With the engine oil in the frame, the frame itself acts like a giant oil cooler.
Disc brakes front and rear provide superior stopping power. Both front and rear disc rotors are drilled for lightness and better wet-weather performance.
Four-stroke single-cylinder engine offers good fuel economy and a wide powerband. The XR650L’s proven powerplant requires very little maintenance.
Pro-Link® Rear Suspension
Honda’s Pro-Link rear suspension system offers compliant and comfortable ride quality with a high level of wheel control. Initial rates are soft for supple action over small bumps and ripples, while increasingly stiffer rates resist bottoming and maintain rear-wheel control over rougher surfaces.
The XR650L’s steel frame is built to handle the rigors of off-road travel. In addition, the frame’s backbone doubles as the engine’s oil tank, saving weight and space.
- Bulletproof 644cc SOHC four-stroke engine produces power and torque ideally suited for both on- and off-road riding.
- Radial Four-Valve Combustion Chamber (RFVC) allows excellent combustion efficiency and high power output.
- 42.5mm constant-velocity (CV) carburetor offers crisp throttle response, excellent rideability and maximum power.
- Reliable electric starter system allows easy push-button starting.
- Gear-driven counterbalancer minimizes bothersome and tiring vibration.
- Free-flowing, 2-into-1 exhaust system with quiet, USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler.
- Maintenance-free automatic cam-chain tensioner and maintenance-free CD ignition with electronic advance keep you out of the shop and on the road.
- Dry-sump engine maximizes power by minimizing crankshaft windage and engine temperature.
- Durable five-speed transmission offers a gear for every on- or off-road situation.
- Heavy-duty, multi-plate clutch.
- Heavy-duty, low-maintenance #520 O-ring-sealed drive chain.
- Semi-double-cradle steel frame is lightweight, strong and offers precise handling manners.
- 43mm XR™-spec Showa cartridge fork features 16-position compression damping adjustability and superb off-road performance.
- Pro-Link® Rear Suspension.
- Lightweight, strong and durable aluminum box-section swingarm with quick-detach rear wheel.
- Front and rear disc brakes offer superb stopping power.
- Lightweight yet super-strong wheels.
- Frame-mounted passenger footrests allow two-up riding capability.
- Aggressive, dual-purpose front and rear tires offer excellent performance both on and off road.
- 18-inch rear wheel for greater tire selection.
- Lightweight rims and hubs feature straight-pull spokes.
- Honda Racing-inspired colors and graphics.
- Combination headlight/number plate and dual airflow shrouds direct cool air to the engine.
- Enduro-style headlight features high/low beams.
- Motocross-style seat is comfortable and allows maximum rider movement.
- Large, durable fenders keep debris off the rider.
- Lightweight tubular engine guard.
- Wide-section, folding, cleated footpegs are comfortable and self-cleaning.
- High-output 12-volt electrical system.
- Flex-mounted turn signals resist breakage.
- Compact speedometer features tripmeter/odometer, a Neutral light as well as high-beam, turn-signal and sidestand indicators.
- Easy-to-use choke allows for simple cold-weather starts.
- Push-to-cancel turn-signal switch.
- High-quality controls include comfortable grips and brush guards.
- Transferable one-year limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
|Engine Type|| 644cc air-cooled, dry-sump, single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Bore and Stroke|| 100mm x 82mm|
|Compression ratio|| 8.3:1|
|Valve Train|| SOHC; four-valve RFVC|
|Induction|| 39.5mm diaphragm-type CV carburetor|
|Ignition|| CD with electronic advance|
|Final Drive|| #520 O-ring-sealed chain; 15T/45T|
|Suspension Front|| 43mm air-adjustable leading-axle Showa cartridge fork with 16-position compression damping adjustability; 11.6 inches travel|
|Rear|| Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload, 20-position compression and 20-position rebound damping adjustability; 11.0 inches travel|
|Brakes Front|| Single disc with twin-piston caliper|
|Rear|| Single disc|
|Tires Front|| 3.00-21|
|Wheelbase|| 57.3 inches|
|Rake (Caster angle)||27.0°|
|Trail|| 102mm (4.0 inches)|
|Seat Height|| 37.0 inches|
|Ground Clearance|| 13.0 inches|
|Fuel Capacity|| 2.8 gallons, including 0.6-gallon reserve|
|Estimated Fuel Economy||52 mpg|
|Curb Weight|| 346 pounds|
Totalmotorcycle ---- "If you’re looking for one motorcycle that can do it all, Honda’s time-tested XR650L is that machine"
Ultimatemotorcycling ---- " Honda announced a wide array of bikes (and quads) this week, among them, the 2012 XR650L"
Bikez ---- "If you´re looking for one motorcycle that can do it all, Honda´s time-tested XR650L is that machine. Off-road it has the power, suspension, and durability a dirt rider demands. On-road its light overall weight, electric starter and excellent fuel economy make it the perfect commuter, even for long trips"