- Liquid-cooled parallel twin
- PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
- 471 L
With its sporty character, the capable engine and Honda’s legendary reliability, the CBR500RA has managed to conquer a lot of hearts.
This capable motorcycle was especially developed for those who are looking for a fun and comfortable motorcycle that feels comfortable on the city streets but also on the race track.
In terms of power, the Honda CBR500RA is equipped with a light 470 c, DOHC, fuel injected parallel-twin engine that puts out strong low and midrange power. The engine is mated on a six speed transmission.
All components are mounted on a lightweight diamond-shaped steel frame which is paired with a Pro-Link rear suspension with preload-adjustable shock and a front 41 mm telescopic fork.
The motorcycle rides on lightweight 17 inch wheels shod in 120/70ZR–17 front and 160/60ZR–17 rear tyres.
The Honda CBR500RA is offered with a starting price of $6,799.
Hit the jump for more information on the Honda CBR500RA.
The CBR500RA is a true Honda mid-size sportbike, purpose built for riders looking for a fun combination of power, handling, racy excitement and everyday usability. Its light and compact 470 cc DOHC fuel-injected parallel-twin engine emphasizes strong low and midrange power, using a blend of all-new technology and features developed for the CBR600RRA and CBR1000RRA. A sleek, aerodynamic fairing inspired by the CBR1000RRA and sporty 17-inch wheels with a unique Y-shaped spoke design make it easy to mistake the CBR500RA for one of the bigger-displacement CBRs, but light overall weight and a narrow width help to give it a nimble personality all its own. And with a seating position that’s more relaxed than on most sportbikes, the CBR500RA is perfectly happy to take you to work on the weekdays and then head far from home on the weekends. Plus, you get the added benefit of ABS brakes for superior stopping performance on all road surfaces. This is a bike with almost limitless potential; a bike that you’ll continue to find new ways to enjoy, year after year after year.
Engine and Drivetrain
- The all-new DOHC liquid-cooled parallel-twin engine uses a square bore & stroke of 67 mm x 66.8 mm for an optimum combination of strong low-end torque and horsepower and excellent top-end performance.
- The 67 mm bore size is the same as used on the CBR600RRA.
- Engine vibration is kept to a minimum by using crank pins phased at 180 degrees and a balancer shaft behind the cylinders, which also contributes to the engine’s compact size.
- PGM-FI electronic fuel injection keeps the engine running efficiently in all conditions and ensures crisp throttle response.
- Careful flow analysis of the cooling system resulted in a water pump that’s small and lightweight, yet still more than capable of keeping the engine running its best at high output levels.
- In order to maximize air-intake and exhaust efficiency, the profile from the air cleaner through the intake ports to the exhaust pipe was made as straight as possible.
- The four valves in each of the DOHC cylinder heads have narrow stems, thereby reducing weight and friction and increasing efficiency.
- A light and compact roller-rocker-arm assembly and shim-type valve adjustment allows a lower valve-spring load for reduced friction and a compact cylinder head.
- The pins in the silent cam chain have been treated with vanadium, which both reduces friction and improves durability.
- The lightweight pistons use the same advanced manufacturing process as those found in the CBR600RRA.
- To ensure precise cylinder shape, the engine uses the same centrifugal-cast thin-wall sleeves as found in the CBR600RRA.
- The oil pump’s internal relief structure uses the same design as found in the CBR1000RR, which reduces friction, improves aeration performance and simplifies the shape of the oil pan.
Chassis and Suspension
- The lightweight diamond-shaped steel frame was designed to allow a certain degree of yield, which enables it to better respond to changes in the road surface and to transmit just the right amount of feedback to the rider.
- The Pro-Link rear suspension with preload-adjustable shock and the conventional 41 mm telescopic fork are calibrated for a comfortable but sporty ride.
- The rear section of the frame was designed to facilitate a seat height of 785 mm, which allows most riders to easily plant their feet on the ground when stopped.
- Lightweight cast aluminum wheels with Y-shaped spokes not only look trick, they also contribute to the bike’s excellent manoeuvrability.
- Wave brake rotors with superlative heat-dissipating qualities are lighter than conventional discs of the same diameter, which help to further reduce the bike’s unsprung weight.
- Triple-piston brake calipers up front and a single-piston caliper at the back provide strong but easily controlled stopping power. Plus, ABS gives you extra peace of mind on reduced-traction road surfaces. (The CBR500R is also available with non-ABS brakes.)
- Ergonomics were carefully configured to ensure an unrestricted riding position that allows easy manoeuvring in town, an easy reach to the ground, as well as excellent comfort during long-distance highway trips.
- While the fuel tank on the CBR500RA looks sleek and sporty, it can still hold a generous 15.5 litres. Combined with the engine’s fuel-efficient performance, this translates into excellent range.
- A utility space under the seat accommodates a U-lock, wet weather gear or other items.
- The CB500RA features a full sport fairing designed to be both protective and aerodynamic.
|Engine Type||Liquid-cooled parallel twin|
|Bore & Stroke||67 x 66.8 mm|
|Valve Train||Chain-driven DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder|
|Fuel Delivery||PGM-FI electronic fuel injection|
|Final Drive||#520 O-ring-sealed chain|
|Front Suspension||41 mm telescopic fork; 108 mm (4.2 in.) travel|
|Rear Suspension||Pro-Link single shock with spring preload adjustment; 119 mm (4.7 in.) travel|
|Tires||120/70ZR–17 front; 160/60ZR–17 rear|
|Brakes||Front 320 mm single wavy hydraulic disc with double-piston caliper; Rear 240 mm single wavy hydraulic disc with single-piston caliper; ABS.|
|Seat Height||785 mm (30.9 in.)|
|Wheelbase||1,409 mm (55.5 in.)|
|Curb Weight||196 kg (432 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas - ready to ride|
|Fuel Capacity||15.5 litres|
|Colour||Tri-Colour, Graphic Black, Millennium Red|
|Warranty||12 months, unlimited mileage, freely transferable warranty; extended coverage available with Honda Plus|