The Honda VFR1200FA DCT is one of the strongest motorcycles built by the Japanese manufacturer. This mechanical monster is packed with a long list of modern features especially developed to improve high speeds performances.
As far as power is concerned the Honda VFR1200FA DCT is equipped with a liquid-cooled 76-degree, V-4 engine with asymmetrical front/rear cylinder layout and PGM-FI electronic fuel injection. The V-54 unit is fed by a decently sized 19-litre fuel tank that offers a pretty generous riding range.
The engine is linked to a modern Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) that includes two automatic modes and a Manual mode with paddle-style shifters.
The Honda VFR1200FA DCT rides on a front 43 mm cartridge fork with spring preload adjustability and a Pro-Link single gas-charged shock with remote spring preload adjustability and rebound damping adjustability.
The Honda VFR1200FA DCT can be yours for not less than $16,999.
Hit the jump for more information on the Honda VFR1200FA DCT.
If you love the sort of super-trick technology found in a MotoGP or Formula One paddock, we know you’re going to love the Honda VFR1200FA DCT. This is a bike that oozes high-tech cool. From its compact Unicam valve train that cuts weight and adds combustion efficacy, to its unequal-length exhaust headers that improve power output and produce a sweet, throaty sound, to its Throttle By Wire and Traction Control systems, the VFR1200FA DCT is nothing short of a technological tour de force. And there’s plenty more advanced thinking everywhere you look on this bike, including the innovative Dual Clutch Transmission. Using technology borrowed from high-end sports cars, DCT provides two automatic shifting modes in addition to a paddle-shift six-speed manual mode. You can ride city streets and endless highways effortlessly, yet still enjoy sportbike-like character on your favourite twisty backroad. Whether you’re a technophile, or just someone who likes to ride the best, when you twist the throttle on a Honda VFR1200FA DCT, you’re riding into the future.
Engine and Drivetrain
- The VFR1200FA DCT’s Traction Control system carefully monitors a range of different parameters, looking for unusual fluctuations that could suggest an imminent loss of traction at the rear tire. If the system believes wheelspin is imminent, engine power is momentarily reduced, thereby maintaining traction.
- Light and compact 1,237 cc liquid-cooled 76-degree V-4 engine pumps out amazing levels of power with a distinctive feel and sound.
- By combining many of Honda’s most advanced technologies, engineers managed to create a remarkably compact engine.
- Unique cylinder layout locates the rear cylinders side by side but close together, and the front cylinders more widely spaced. This layout allows for a slim, compact “waist” that fits comfortably between the rider’s legs. It also improves mass centralization, thereby contributing to the bike’s balanced feel and ease of control.
- The engine also incorporates a special high-strength Symmetrically Coupled Phase-shift Crankshaft that features a 28-degree crankpin offset that works in concert with the 76-degree V angle to essentially negate primary engine vibration for smooth running. And because the powerplant therefore has perfect primary balance, the need for a balance shaft is eliminated, which allows for a more compact engine and also yields a weight savings of nearly 1.4 kg (3 lb).
- Lightweight and compact Unicam™ valve train allows for significantly shorter and smaller cylinder heads with no loss in efficiency. It’s the same technology used in Honda’s potent CRF motocross bikes.
- Also borrowed from the CRF range and the RC211V MotoGP bike is the sealed crankcase system that reduces the pumping loss created through piston movement, marking the first time this system has been used on a street motorcycle.
- The engine’s performance is delivered where it’s most useful and most enjoyable. Its linear torque curve is focused in the low-end and midrange, making it possible for the rider to simply roll on and off the throttle while powering through bends. This effortless control makes the VFR1200FA DCT great fun to ride – this is a sportbike with real-world-usable power.
- Asymmetrical exhaust lengths between front and rear cylinders further improve power output and add to the VFR1200FA DCT’s unique sound and feel.
- Engineered to provide excellent cornering clearance and minimal intrusion to the feet of the rider and passenger, the high-volume, twin-outlet muffler produces an unobtrusive but fantastically stirring note. At low revs the sound is almost like a human heartbeat. Further up the rev range, once the internal servo-operated exhaust valve is opened, the sound changes to a truly inspiring, hard-edged V-4 howl.
- The Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) includes two automatic modes and a Manual mode with paddle-style shifters, and is similar to systems found on high-end sports cars. Its mechanical efficiency matches that of a manual gearbox, meaning you get to enjoy the convenience of an automatic with the unbridled performance of a manual.
- A throttle-by-wire system replaces the throttle cable with sophisticated electronics. It provides light, precise fuel metering at all engine rpm, the system’s accuracy gives the rider increased levels of control.
- The next-generation shaft-drive system routes the shaft below the swingarm pivot point to eliminate the squat and lift of conventional shaft drives without resorting to complex and heavy countermeasures as found on some competing models. Special dampers eliminate any excessive slack or jerkiness in the system, resulting in smooth on- and off-throttle transitions.
Chassis and Suspension
- The patented layered fairing design creates a uniquely beautiful shape and, at the same time, optimal airflow and heat management. The fairing incorporates two layers. Air entering between the layers and through two oval-shaped spaces in the front of the fairing is channelled in exactly the directions needed to enhance the bike’s stability at higher speeds. Plus, by channelling air through smaller apertures before it reaches the radiators and thereby increasing its velocity, engine cooling is optimized and the hot, exhausted air is carried quickly away from the rider and passenger for a cooler, more comfortable ride. The heat generated by the engine is also channelled away to keep hot air away from the rider.
- Honda Pro-Arm single-side swingarm with single gas-charged shock features a handy remote spring-preload adjuster, rebound damping adjustability, and 130 mm (5.1 inches) of travel. At the front the VFR1200FA DCT boasts a stout, sport-oriented 43 mm inverted cartridge fork with spring preload adjustability and 108 mm (4.3 inches) of travel.
- The VFR1200FA DCT is equipped with a sophisticated braking system that’s ideal for all-round sportbike use. Powerful new six-piston calipers for the front and a dual-piston caliper at the rear act on large full-floating discs (320 mm front; 276 mm rear). Honda’s Combined Braking System creates the optimal balance of front and rear braking forces, while the compact and lightweight Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) lets you brake with confidence on even difficult surfaces.
- Large 19-litre fuel tank means more kilometres of fun between gas stops.
- New-technology seat construction permits a higher level of seat shaping and forming detail for excellent rider and passenger comfort and a sleek look.
- Integral saddlebag mounts come standard.
- New painting technologies, specially developed at Honda’s new high-tech Kumamoto factory, result in a level of finish far above normal production standards.
- The handlebar and the layout of the controls are the result of careful study of ergonomics and rider needs. The designers looked at the time required to reach controls comfortably and the ease of operation— particularly during cornering.
|Engine Type||Liquid-cooled 76-degree V-4 with asymmetrical front/rear cylinder layout|
|Bore & Stroke||81 mm x 60 mm|
|Valve Train||Chain-driven SOHC Unicam, 4 valves per cylinder|
|Fuel Delivery||PGM-FI electronic fuel injection|
|Transmission||Dual Clutch Transmission with two automatic shift modes and a manual shift mode via paddle-style shifters|
|Front Suspension||43 mm cartridge fork with spring preload adjustability; 108 mm (4.3 in.) travel|
|Rear Suspension||Pro Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link single gas-charged shock with remote spring preload adjustability and rebound damping adjustability; 130 mm (5.1 in.) travel|
|Tires||120/70ZR - 17 radial front; 190/55ZR - 17 radial rear|
|Brakes||Front dual 320 mm discs with six-piston calipers; rear single 276 mm disc with two-piston caliper. Combined Braking System with ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)|
|Seat Height||810 mm (31.9 in.)|
|Wheelbase||1,545 mm (60.8 in.)|
|Curb Weight||278 kg (613 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas – ready to ride|
|Fuel Capacity||19 litres|
|Colour||Candy Prominence Red|
|Warranty||12 months, unlimited mileage, freely transferable warranty; extended coverage available with Honda Plus|