Kawasaki’s introduction of the new Brute Forceâ„¢ 650 4x4i ATV has been smoothed by the tremendous success achieved by its slightly larger brethren, the Brute Force 750 4x4i. This economical new addition to the Kawasaki family of V-twin powered sport-utility all-terrain vehicles couples the luxurious ride inherent with front and rear independent suspension and the qualities of this durable and powerful 633cc engine.
Offering virtually the same power characteristics as the 750 4x4i, this new ATV entry will shine under the most grueling circumstances in both low-to-mid range rpm and high rpm ranges. The 90-degree, liquid-cooled four-stroke powerplant will be there to answer any needs posed by its target audience of adventure enthusiasts and sportsmen.
The engine features a bore and stroke of 80mm x 63mm, linerless aluminum cylinders based on its big brother’s, and an all-new lightweight crankshaft.
Helping to lighten the load, engineers have used aluminum to replace steel in the construction of the front exhaust pipe cover, new two-piece center exhaust pipe cover, and the muffler cover. Transmission gears in the Brute Force 650 4x4i feature holes to lighten the overall weight and several other minor changes have been introduced to optimize the power-to-weight ratio.
Its new chassis has a revised caster angle for the front A-arms-upper and lower-resulting in light and responsive steering as well as excellent ground-following abilities. Shock absorber spring rates and initial preload settings for both front and rear have been revised to improve ride comfort. Riding comfort was also considered when this unit was slated for a seat using a softer urethane foam cushion.
The Brute Force 650 4x4i transfers power from its V-twin engine to the wheels through a dual range continuously variable transmission (CVT) featuring high, low, and reverse. The rider can select two- or four-wheel drive by simply pressing a handlebar-mounted button.
Stopping the 650 4x4i are dual 200mm front discs and an enclosed wet multi-plate rear brake system. Its towing capacity is a hefty 1,250 pounds, and it will carry a combined 264 pounds on its front and rear racks.
It may be the slightly smaller one in Kawasaki’s stable of IRS-equipped ATVs, but it doesn’t sacrifice anything in the “looks” department. Designers gave the Brute Force 650 4x4i a rugged, take-on-anything type of appearance with a new front guard design that will both attract onlookers and satisfy owners. It will come cloaked in either Woodsman Green, Aztec Red, or Realtree Hardwoods Green® HD™ camouflage.
Kawasaki Brute Force 650 4X4i Camo Specifications
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, 90-degree, four-stroke V-twin
- Valve system: SOHC, four valves per cylinder
- Displacement : 633 cm³
- Starting system: Electric & Recoil
- Bore x stroke: 80 x 63mm
- Compression ratio: 9.9:1
- Lubrication: Forced lubrication, wet stump
- Ignition: Digital DC-CDI
- Transmission: Dual range CVT with reverse
- Final drive: 2WD / 4WD, shaft
- Frame: Double-cradle, high-tensile tubular steel
- Suspension, front/wheel travel : Double wishbone, 6.7 in.
- Suspension, rear/wheel travel : Double wishbone, 7.9 in.
- Tires, front : AT25 x 8-12
- Tires, rear : AT25 x 10-12
- Brakes, front: Dual 7.9 in discs with 2-piston calipers
- Brakes, rear : Enclosed wet multi-plate
- Overall length: 86.4 in.
- Overall width : 46.3 in.
- Overall height : 48.4 in.
- Wheelbase : 50.4 in.
- Ground clearance : 10.1 in.
- Seat height : 35.7 in.
- Rack capacity, front/rear : 88/176 lbs.
- Towing capacity : 1,250 lbs.
- Dry weight : 606 lbs.
- Fuel capacity : 5.4 gal.
- Instruments : Speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, clock, hour meter, fuel gauge, 2x4/4x4 indicator, neutral indicator, reverse indicator, low fuel warning light, low oil warning light
- Colors : Realtree Hardwoods Green® HD™
- Perfectly-Balanced V-Twin Engine
- KAPS Automatic Transmission
- Kawasaki Engine Break Control
- Exclusive Variable Limited-Slip Front Differential
- Sealed Rear Brake System
- 633cc four-stroke, liquid-cooled V-twin
- All-aluminum cylinders with Electrofusion(KP) coating are durable and help the engine produce more power. The aluminum bores eliminate cast iron cylinders liners to improve heat dispersion and reduce weight.
- V-twin design and oversquare bore and stroke help produce high torque with a broad, user-friendly curve.
- 90-degree cylinder offset produces perfect primary balance to minimize vibration for rider comfort.
4-Valve Cylinder Head (KP)
- Intake ports designed to provide a straight fuel path from the carburetors for improved efficiency and more power.
- 4 valves provide maximum valve area for optimal flow.
- Boosts low-end torque.
Twin Downdraft Carburetors
- Twin CVKR-34 carburetors are 2mm larger than the Brute Force 650 4x4 and are now mounted in a downdraft position, providing the fuel mixture with a straight shot into the combustion chamber.
- Larger-capacity radiator provides consistent cooling, allowing closer engine tolerances, quieter running, and ultimate durability.
- Thermostatically-controlled fan keeps engine cool even at very low vehicle speeds.
- Snorkel Air Intake(KP)
- Airbox design provides easy access to simplify maintenance.
- Oval-type air filter provides large intake area and reduces dust build-up on the filter.
Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System
- The drive converter shaft is hard chrome finished for durability.
- Shifting timed in higher rpm range for snappy throttle response and class-leading acceleration.
- Strong CVT belt handles the increased power.
- Water drain hole in drive pulley cover prevents mud from clogging release bearing for added durability.
- Belt Check indicator lamp is easy to see.
- Continuously variable transmission is fully automatic.
Kawasaki Engine Break Control (KP)
- Engine brake actuator controller maintains proper adjustment during servicing and maintains reliability of engine brake activation.
- Automatically applied under certain conditions to provide engine braking for additional slowing power when descending hills
- Exclusive Kawasaki design adds no additional weight to drive converter for faster engine spooling and throttle response.
- Automatically compensates for CVT belt wear to maintain consistent engagement.
Exclusive Variable Limited-Slip Front Differential (KP)
- Allows riders to control the amount of slip in the limited-slip front differential.
Electrically “Selectable” 2WD/4WD(KP)
- Choose between 2WD and 4WD for changing terrain and applications with the flip of a switch.
Independent Front Suspension
- Double wishbone (KP) and coil-over-shock absorbers with adjustable preload provide a comfortable ride with 6.7 inches of suspension travel.
- Revised caster angle for the A-arms provides lighter steering.
- Aluminum steering knuckles are tough and feature added protection for the CV boots.
- Constant velocity joints at the front wheels have a wide operating range for durability, The joints can also be independently disassembled to simplify maintenance.
Independent Rear Suspension
- Double wishbone (KP) and preload adjustable shock for each rear wheel provides superior ride comfort and ground following ability.
- Torsion bar helps control body roll.
Sealed Rear Brake System (KP)
- Multi-disk rear brake system is totally enclosed within the frame-mounted rear gear case.
- Operates in a sealed oil bath so that the brake is unaffected by water, mud, dust and debris.
- Compact design provides more ground clearance at the rear end.
- Thermoplastic olefin bodywork has a high gloss finish for great looks and is more scratch resistant than polyethylene plastic so it stays looking good longer
- Dual compartments on the front fenders provide convenient storage. Optional storage cylinder at the rear matches the muffler shape for a sporty, balanced appearance.
- Comfortable, upright seating position combines with the independent rear suspension for a luxurious ride.
- Wide seat for increased rider comfort
- Trailer hitch bracket with 1,250 lbs. towing capacity is standard equipment.
- Digital speedometer, odometer, twin trip meters, clock, hour meter and fuel gage are mounted at a steep angle and has a visor to make the meter more visible from the upright seating position.
- Tire and wheel design provides an integrated look with aggressive bodywork as well as superb traction.