The KFXÂ®400 is for serious sport riders who demand high-performance for the track, trails and dunes. And the KFX400 delivers, thanks to its high-tech, four-stroke engine, manual transmission, lightweight racing-type chassis and disc brakes.
This four-wheeled Kawasaki is propelled by a highly responsive 398cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine with double overhead cams and four valves atop a chrome composite-plated aluminum alloy cylinder. Fed by a 37mm high-performance carburetor, it includes electric start and has a counterbalancer to reduce vibration.
The KFX400 engine utilizes a “dry sump” design, shortening overall engine height so it can be placed lower in the chassis for enhanced stability while providing higher ground clearance.
Transmitting power from the engine to the rear wheels is a high-performance five-speed-plus-reverse manual transmission and efficient O-ring chain.
Such power requires a chassis to match, so the KFX400 ATV engine rides in a high-tensile steel frame and subframe. Suspension duties are handled by dual front A-arms with fully adjustable shocks that provide 8.5 inches of travel, while an aluminum-alloy swingarm with fully adjustable shock provides 9.1 inches of travel on the rear. Contributing to the KFX400’s low, 373-pound dry weight are competition-inspired aluminum-alloy wheels, and stopping power is provided by dual front disc brakes and a single rear disc brake.
Kawasaki KFX 400 Specifications
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, four-stroke, single cylinder with DOHC and four-valves
- Displacement: 398cc
- Carburetion: Mikuni BSR37
- Starting: Electric
- Transmission: Five-speed-plus-reverse manual, multi-plate wet clutch
- Final drive: #520 O-ring chain
- Frame type: High-tensile tubular steel alloy
- Front suspension / wheel travel: Dual A-arms with coil-over-shock, adjustable preload / 8.3 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: Swingarm with preload-adjustable shock / 9.1 in.
- Front tires: 22x7-10 radial
- Rear tires: 20x10-9 radial
- Front brakes / rear brake: Dual hydraulic discus / Disc
- Overall length: 72.0 in.
- Overall width: 45.9 in.
- Wheelbase: 49.0 in.
- Ground clearance: 10.4 in.
- Lighting: Dual 30W halogen
- Dry weight: 373 lbs.
- Fuel capacity: 2.6 gal.
- Footpegs: Serrated steel
- Colors: Kawasaki Lime Green, Blazing Orange
- High-performance four-stroke engine delivers exceptionally broad torque curve for maximum traction for a variety of sport-riding conditions
- Twin air intakes on the front fenders provide extra cooling to the radiator
- Dry-sump lubrication allows the engine to be kept low in the chassis for superior weight distribution and handling while providing higher ground clearance
- 37mm carburetor increases engine performance
- Electric start makes getting started easy
- Five-speed manual transmission helps the rider keep the engine in the powerband
- Reverse gear makes backing up convenient and easy
- Efficient chain final drive provides maximum power to the rear wheel
- Swingarm utilizes eccentric chain adjusters, making chain adjustment easier
- Dual A-arm front suspension and rear swingarm help to soak up the bumps and jumps
- Front shocks feature fully adjustable compression and rebound damping as well as adjustable preload for multiple suspension tuning options
- Triple disc brakes provide exceptional stopping power
- Dual halogen headlights brighten the path for nighttime riding
- Serrated steel footpegs help to keep the rider’s feet from slipping in wet or muddy riding conditions