There’s a point when a young rider’s physical growth and developing skill on the race track demands a motorcycle that can do more than keep up with their competitive nature - they need a bike that can power them to the front of the pack. The Kawasaki KXâ„¢85 provides that leading-edge of power and performance.
The KX85’s liquid-cooled, two-stroke, single-cylinder 84cc engine churns out an abundance of race-winning power. It’s equipped with high-tech features, such as an Electrofusion-coated cylinder with a narrow squish band and large volume to enhance top-end power. A machined finish to the bridges between the intake and exhaust ports helps prevent seizure and improves engine reliability.
Fuel delivery for the engine is provided by a 28mm carburetor that features a crescent-slide to position the needle closer to the intake ports. A Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System (KIPS®) and exhaust pipe capped with a KX250-style muffler contribute to the KX85’s tractable powerband, which provides control for riders of varying skill levels.
A smooth-shifting six-speed transmission, hard chrome-finished shift fork ends, a thick base on the clutch basket housing and an additional bushing on the input shaft for extra durability are all features that make the KX85 shine.
The KX85 stands above the competition with its advanced chassis. It utilizes a high-tensile steel perimeter frame, and a specially designed gas tank sits inside the frame, lowering the fuel load and center of gravity for improved handling - yet another design borrowed from the bigger KX motorcycles.
Long-travel suspension at both ends helps to smooth out the roughest course for riders of every size and skill level. The 36mm inverted cartridge front fork has the capability of 18-way compression damping adjustment. Out back, the spring preload, compression and rebound damping are all adjustable on the UNI-TRAK® rear suspension system.
And for 2006, the KX85 features aggressive Kawasaki Lime Green and Black graphics and a two-tone seat, just like the other KX models.
Those who race their KX85 at designated events are eligible to receive support from Team Green™, Kawasaki’s amateur racing support program. Each year, Team Green provides regional support vehicles and highly trained technicians at more than 100 events, offering technical information and assistance to those who race Kawasaki products. Kawasaki also offers a comprehensive contingency program for amateur and professional riders who place well at designated events.
Kawasaki KX 85 Specifications
- Engine: Two-stroke single with KIPS®
- Displacement: 84cc
- Bore x stroke: 48.5 x 45.8mm
- Cooling: Liquid
- Carburetion: Keihin PWK28
- Induction: Crankcase reed valve
- Compression ratio: 10.0:1 (low speed) – 9.2:1 (high speed)
- Ignition: Digital CDI
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final drive: Chain
- Frame: High-tensile steel perimeter design with subframe member
- Rake / trail: 27 degrees / 3.5 in.
- Front suspension / wheel travel: 36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 18-way compression damping / 10.8 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® single-shock system with 4-way compression and 16-way rebound damping, plus adjustable spring preload / 10.8 in.
- Front tire: 70/100x17
- Rear tire: 90/100x14
- Front brake / rear brake: Hydraulic disc / Disc
- Overall length: 71.7 in.
- Overall width: 28.9 in.
- Overall height: 41.5 in.
- Ground clearance: 13.4 in.
- Seat height: 33.1 in.
- Dry weight: 143.3 lbs.
- Fuel capacity: 1.5 gal.
- Wheelbase: 49.4 in.
- Color: Lime Green / Black
- MSRP: $2,999
- Even-running temperatures provide consistent power output
- Lightweight Electrofusion-coated cylinder improves heat transfer while resisting abrasion and seizure
- Bridges between intake and exhaust ports are machined finish for improved reliability
- Magneto with lower inertial moment improves low-rpm response
- Rotor comes with rare-earth magnets – the unitized piece is small, light and durable
- Connecting rod big-end bearing has more rigid cage for improved durability
- Intake port shape and revised cylinder skirt allow cooling air into the crankcase chamber
- Primary gear is secured using a lock-nut to help reduce mechanical noise
- Metafoam gaskets for the generator and water pump covers improve sealing
Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System (KIPS®)
- KIPS system varies exhaust-port height for increased horsepower and torque
- Produces a broad powerband with more low-end torque and mid-range, while retaining excellent top-end power
- Breather added to KIPS cover to improve high-rpm and overrun performance
- Thick base clutch hub rides on needle bearings for smooth action
- Large clutch plates are 119mm in diameter for durability and control
- Clutch-release lever ratio is designed for light clutch lever action- Clutch plate service cover simplifies maintenance and utilizes a metal-carbon composite gasket
- The fifth and sixth gears on the input shaft ride on bushings for added reliability
- Positive shifting action and rugged durability
- Shift forks are hard chrome finished to resist wear and seizing
- Convenient oil level window
- Bushings on the second, third and fourth gears on the output shaft increase durability
28mm Keihin PWK carburetor
- Large crescent slide carburetor positions the needle closer to intake ports for excellent throttle response and improves power
- Adjustable for various conditions
- Large right-side cutout improves airflow for increased power
- Foam air filter is reusable after cleaning
- Features large-diameter O-ring and groove on exhaust pipe for improved durability and easy installation
- Aluminum silencer re-packable like larger KX models
High-tensile Steel Perimeter Frame
- Wide footpegs for better control, made of cast steel for strength
- Thick footpeg brackets withstand today’s rigorous tracks
- Engine and chassis bolts have rust-resistant coating
- Gas tank design lowers center of gravity for improved handling
UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
- The swingarm uses large cross-section beams for more rigidity and control
- The swingarm incorporates cast-aluminum drive chain adjuster sections for easy chain adjustments and swingarm rigidity
- Flanged collars are used at the swingarm pivot bearings to protect the seals from mud
- Shock is fully adjustable for compression and rebound damping and spring preload
36mm Inverted Cartridge Fork
- Inverted forks are rigid, providing better steering response and control
- Compression damping is 18-way adjustable
- Aluminum upper fork tubes measure 49.5mm in diameter for flex-free performance
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
- Front brake lever shape offers better feel
- Forged-aluminum rear brake pedal is strong, lightweight and features two seals at the pivot for smooth operation
- Strong braking power is achieved with minimal effort
Front and Rear Wheels
- Rear hub features two wheel bearings on the drive side of the hub for durability
- Rear-axle diameter is large for more rigidity
- Front and rear hubs feature seals to better protect the wheel bearings
- Two-tone seat pattern and graphics just like larger KX models