Finding its way to the winner’s circle is what this motorcycle is all about. The 2006 NinjaÂ® ZXâ„¢-6RR, the racing-homologated sibling of the Ninja ZX-6R, was designed for serious on-track performance, and it takes its charge very seriously.
The Ninja ZX-6RR features ultra-aerodynamic bodywork with Ram Air, GP-style swingarm, under-seat exhaust system, six-spoke wheels, petal-style disc brakes, inverted forks and a powerful engine.
Along with the ZX-6R, the Ninja ZX-6RR is one of the most aerodynamically efficient sportbikes Kawasaki has ever created. Specifically, the fairing helps to divide the air stream farther ahead of the bike; by moving the “bubble” of still air farther forward in the cockpit, the rider experiences less buffeting around the head and shoulders.
The point of convergence - where the divided air streams comes together behind the rider - is critical to aerodynamic efficiency, so Kawasaki engineers designed the tail section to smoothly blend the air together while minimizing turbulence. The result is quicker roll-on acceleration and higher top speeds at the race track, as well as enhanced rider comfort and control.
The body work also includes a central Ram Air duct and a flush-surface LED tail light, as well as an aerodynamic front fender.
From the cockpit, the Ninja ZX-6RR rider will notice several leading-edge features that put this bike at the forefront of design and performance. Foremost is the split-seam fuel tank/airbox cover. The rear half is the actual fuel tank, designed to fit neatly between the frame spars and down behind the engine’s fuel injection system, while the front half covers a quick-access air box. By centralizing the fuel mass near the center of the bike, chassis responsiveness is enhanced - weight transfers from turn to turn are lighter, and the chassis is exceptionally stable under acceleration and braking.
The advanced split-seam design also enabled engineers to make the airbox larger, thus enhancing engine performance. It also makes filter access quick and easy. Plus, a depression in the top of the fuel tank enables the rider to tuck in for improved aerodynamics.
The final tribute to aerodynamic efficiency is the under-seat muffler, which gives the Ninja ZX-6RR a slim, racy look.
Exhilarating Power and Performance
No sportbike can garner mass approval on good looks alone, and here again, the Ninja ZX-6RR sets the standards of performance for the middle-weight class. The engine includes a fuel injection system with 38mm oval-shaped sub-throttle valves fed by twin injectors and Ram Air.
The Ninja ZX-6RR utilizes oval-shaped sub-throttle technology. Combined with the Ram Air design, the oval-shaped throttle bodies increase airflow without making the fuel delivery assembly wider - for maximum intake efficiency while helping to maintain a slim chassis profile.
The 599cc engine also features polished intake ports and large exhaust valves for improved on-track performance. Also, the engine control (ECU) unit has enough memory for controlling the exhaust valve and second set of fuel injectors.
The Ninja ZX-6RR features a durable, close ratio, smooth-shifting six-speed transmission, with ratios similar to those of the previous racing kit transmission. It also utilizes a back-torque limiting clutch. Designed to maximize on-track performance, the back-torque limiter helps to reduce rear-wheel hop that may occur when downshifting at high-rpm.
The matte-black aluminum frame features a short wheelbase, and combined with a long, braced aluminum swingarm, to give the Ninja ZX-6RR superior cornering performance and stability. The chassis also includes a steering damper boss on the left frame rail.
The fully adjustable Showa fork delivers outstanding cornering performance and includes TiSiCN coating on the inner tubes to reduce stiction. At the rear, the UNI-TRAK® linkage ratios provide linear action and the shock settings further enhance ride quality and track performance.
Radial-mounted, four-piston front brake calipers deliver exceptional feel and performance; four independent brake pads are used - one for each piston - for more even wear and improved heat resistance. The 300mm petal-style front discs are 5.5mm thick for high heat capacity and the front brake master cylinder uses direct action for better rider feedback. Also, the caliper for the 220mm rear disc brake mounts directly to the swingarm, negating the need for an independent brake tie-rod. The NINJA ZX-6RR has the added benefit of low-expansion brake hoses for improved brake feel.
For exceptional cornering performance, the NINJA ZX-6RR rides on light, six-spoke wheels shod with 120/65ZR17 front and 180/55ZR17 rear tires.
The riding position is designed for performance. By pulling back the steering head assembly, the distance between the handlebars and footpegs is reduced, which provides the rider with an idealized position for performance riding. Combined with the frame dimensions, seat and fuel tank, the rider sits “in” the bike, rather than “on” it.
The NINJA ZX-6RR’s racing-style instrument panel features a bar-type LCD tachometer, digital LCD speedometer, stopwatch-style lap timer and adjustable shift indicator lamp, which includes Off, Low and Bright settings. A digital temperature gauge, clock and tripmeter are also included.
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6RR Specifications
- Engine Type: 4-Stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC,
- 4 Valve Cylinder Head, Transverse In-Line 4-Cylinder
- Displacement: 599 cc
- Bore & Stroke: 67.0 x 42.5 mm
- Maximum Torque: 50.8 lb-ft @ 12,000 rpm
- Compression Ratio: 13.9:1
- Carburetor: DFI with Keihin 38mm Throttle Bodies (4)
- Transmission: 6-Speed
- Final Drive: X-Ring Chain
- Rake/Trail: 25.5°/4.3 in.
- Front Wheel Travel: 4.7 in.
- Rear Wheel Travel: 5.3 in.
- Front Tire Size: 120/65-ZR17
- Rear Tire Size: 180/55-ZR17
- Wheelbase: 55.1 in.
- Front Suspension: 41mm Inverted Cartridge Fork with Adjustable Preload, Stepless Rebound and Compression Damping,TiSiCN Coating
- Rear Suspension: Uni-Trak with Adjustable Preload, Stepless Rebound, High and Low Speed Compression Damping, and Ride Height
- Front Brake Type: Dual 300mm Floating Discs with Radial-Mount, Opposed 4-Piston Calipers
- Rear Brake Type: Single 220mm Disc
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 4.5 gal.
- Seat Height: 32.3 in.
- Dry Weight: 362 lb.
- Color: Lime Green/Flat Sonic Black
- Designed for number one performance on the circuit and winding roads
- Polished intake ports, porting, combustion chambers and large exhaust valves, plus racing cams, all contribute to increased performance
- Power boosting features includes oval-shaped sub-throttles and dual injectors
- Exhaust valve integral with the under-seat muffler improves low- and mid-range engine performance
- State of the art aerodynamics give this middle-weight SuperSport superb CdA
- Back-torque limiting clutch is standard
- Frame and swingarm combined with chassis dimensions improve cornering performance
- 300mm petal-style front disc brakes with radial-mount calipers and direct-action brake master cylinder provide excellent performance and feel
- Riding position lets the rider take advantage of the awesome performance
- To suit non-modified stock racing classes, the six-speed transmission features close ratios similar to those of the racing kit transmission
- Inner fork tubes feature a TiSiCN coating to reduce stiction and improve suspension action
- Damping valve for the rear shock offers a wide range of settings for racing
- Steering damper boss provided on the left frame rail
- Low-expansion front brake hoses improve brake feel