The VulcanÂ® 800 DrifterÂ® cruiser evokes images of the 1940s, when stylists endowed the motorcycles and cars of the day with flowing curves and deep luxuriant colors to create works of art.
Modern-day motorcyclists will appreciate riding the 800 Drifter as much as they’ll love its style. With the power of an 805cc V-twin engine, it features a single overhead cam and a single-pin crankshaft for that classic V-twin rumble, while a gear driven balancer helps to reduce vibration. Finned cylinders and four-valve heads are liquid-cooled for optimum thermal control. Concealed automatic cam chain tensioners preserve the engine’s clean lines and maintain precise cam timing, while a spin-on oil filter helps make maintenance a quick and easy job.
The Drifter’s 36mm carburetor features the Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC) throttle position sensor, which is connected to the digitally mapped ignition system. K-TRIC monitors throttle position and engine rpm, and controls ignition advance for the best power, fuel economy and detonation resistance.
At the rear of the single backbone, double-cradle frame is a sleek, triangulated steel swingarm and Kawasaki UNI-TRAK® linkage rear suspension system, which provides a smooth ride while maintaining the retro look of a hard tail cruiser. Front and rear disc brakes provide plenty of stopping power.
For comfort, the Drifter’s specially contoured solo saddle is nice and low, allowing the rider to comfortably plant both feet on the ground at stops. Wide floorboards allow for a relaxed sitting position, a heel-toe shifter makes changing gears in the five-speed transmission a snap, and self-canceling turn signals add to rider convenience.
Finally, the generous use of chrome on the engine covers, bullet-shaped headlight shell, fork and shock covers, handlebar and clamp, rear fender rail, and license-plate bracket enhance the custom look.
Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Drifter Specifications
- Engine: Four-stroke, SOHC, V-twin, 8 valves
- Displacement: 805cc
- Starting: Electric
- Bore x stroke: 88 x 66.2mm
- Compression ratio: 9.5:1
- Cooling: Liquid
- Carburetion: Keihin CVK36
- Ignition: Digital with Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control
- Transmission: Five-speed
- Final drive: Chain
- Frame: High-tensile steel, double cradle
- Rake / trail: 31.5 degrees / 6.2 in
- Front suspension / wheel travel: 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 5.9 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® single shock system with seven-way preload adjustment / 4.1 in.
- Front tire: 130/90x16 tubeless
- Rear tire: 140/90x16 tubeless
- Front brake / rear brake: Hydraulic disc / Disc
- Overall length: 98.0 in.
- Overall width: 39.6 in.
- Overall height: 44.3 in.
- Ground clearance: 6.3 in.
- Seat height: 29.9 in.
- Dry weight: 542 lbs.
- Wheelbase: 63.6 in.
- Colors: Ebony / Galaxy Silver
- MSRP: $7,399
V-Twin 805cc Engine with Gear-Driven Balancer
Four Valves Per Cylinder
- Torque from idle to redline
- Smooth and reliable
- Balancer allows use of single-pin crankshaft without the heavy vibration
Liquid and Air Cooling
- Better breathing for more power and low-end torque
- Single overhead cam design is simple, lightweight and practical
- Finned cylinders and heads combine with liquid cooling to provide exceptional thermal control
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
- Automatic fan keeps things cool even in traffic
36mm CVK Side Draft Carburetor With K-TRIC Throttle Position Sensor
- Ratios designed for great acceleration and relaxed highway cruising
- Exclusive Positive Neutral Finder
- A throttle-position sensor monitors engine load, allowing its micro-computer to determine the best ignition timing for more power and better fuel economy
Tank-Mounted Speedometer with Turn Signal Indicators and Caution Lamps
- - Right down-tube unbolts for easy engine access
- - High-tensile steel for strength and light weight
Transistor Controlled Breakerless Ignition with Digital Timing Advance (TCBI)
- Compact design complements the bike’s clean look
- Clean-design locking gas cap
- Modern instrument cluster with nostalgic style
41mm Front Fork
- A hot spark at all engine speeds for easy starting, smooth running and good fuel economy
- Virtually maintenance-free
- Excellent rigidity and 5.9 inches of travel
- Wide fork pitch for classic look
48-Spoke Custom Wheels
- Front and rear disc brakes provide sure stops
UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
- Chromed steel rims and spokes with "spool-style" polished aluminum front hub
Sleek Swingarm Design
- Single shock absorber with seven-way cam-type preload adjuster
- Triangulated, steel swingarm looks like a "hard tail"
- Engineered for rigidity and provides precise handling