- Horsepower @ RPM:
- 903 L
- Top Speed:
- 120 mph
KAWASAKI’S NEW VULCANÂ® 900 CLASSIC BRINGS BIG BIKE STYLE TO THE MID-SIZE CLASS
Styled to match the heavyweights, yet with all of the features that make the growing mid-size market so popular.
Cruising motorcycle enthusiasts, whether experienced or new to the fold, find themselves seeking that perfect combination of power, torque, styling, and comfort. For those just joining the mid-size cruising “family” prior choices have been short on many attributes that signify the rider’s perception of “why” they found motorcycles so appealing. And, for the experienced “big bike” riders, the inclination to seek a better balanced mid-size with the look and feel of the larger V-twins hasn’t been an option. Kawasaki evens the playing field for 2006, with the introduction of the Vulcan® 900 Classic, a motorcycle that will find a quick home with both of these groups.
Highlighted by styling that is drawn from the long, low look of Kawasaki’s Vulcan 2000 Classic, this entry in the mid-size cruising category is a sure winner. Both entry-level riders and those who have never been able to tap the feeling that goes with a heavyweight ride, will enjoy this maneuverable mid-size package.
Its 903 cc engine-delivering exceptional roll-on acceleration-places this Vulcan firmly at the top of its class. With a style and physical presence that were previously unavailable in this displacement arena, it will not only fit in with many larger cruisers, it will do so while offering a better value, easier maneuverability, and better performance than some. The Vulcan 900 lays claim to the highest power and torque in its class.
Designers matched the “extra” displacement of the Vulcan 900 power plant with “extra” physical charisma and class-leading ergonomics. The freshly styled fenders and fuel tank add a slight curve to the traditional cruiser shapes. Its polished chrome-accented air cleaner and chrome headlight design keep it connected to its cruiser roots. Adding to the stylistic “eye-candy” are a very modern flair emanating from its new bodywork, an LED taillight, and new low-slung seat height.
Curved engine fins add visual interest to the traditional look of the big, fuel-injected V-twin, while the four valves per cylinder, liquid-cooled reliability, and smooth highway cruising aided by the engine’s counter balancer make this a worthy new entry in Kawasaki’s Vulcan stable.
The Vulcan 900 Classic features a belt drive that not only keeps the overall weight down, but also improves rear-end styling and provides the rider with additional customizing opportunities. Any mention of rear-end styling has to include this unit’s use of a large, 180mm wide rear tire, largest in the category. The beefy, “big bike” look inherent with the larger tire adds to the guttural, classic V-twin sound that is produced by the use of a single-pin crankshaft. Both look and sound evoke the feel of a much larger motorcycle.
But the larger look and feel need not exclude any potential rider. The low seat height makes the Vulcan 900 accessible to shorter riders and its tapered seat flows comfortably into the large capacity fuel tank and lower chassis rails and provide a narrowed shape, which makes it comfortable for all riders.
At home around town or when the open road calls it, this motorcycle is built for hour upon hour of riding pleasure. The wide handlebars offer an ideal relationship between the seat, and footboards, making for an extremely comfortable mount. The ergonomically designed front bucket seat is comfortable enough for any distance, and the pillion pad make sharing the two-wheeled experience with a friend effortless.
Some of the other features that make the Vulcan 900 so appealing to such a wide audience are:
- It employs the same combustion chamber and intake/exhaust porting design concept as that used on Kawasaki’s Vulcan 2000 model
- The dual throttle valves control an electronic fuel injection system that helps insure smooth responsiveness and easy-to-control torque characteristics
- Similar to the Vulcan 2000, it is equipped with an auto-fast idle system, featuring an rpm feedback relay that helps insure a fixed engine speed in all starting conditions
- Easy-to-control torque, thanks to the fuel injection system, making ultra-low speed riding surprisingly easy; matched with gutsy, low-rpm torque that makes the roll-on acceleration characteristics such a rider plus
- The fork offset and rake geometry are set for light, low-effort handling when maneuvering at low, in-town speeds.
- Available in four color selections-Ebony, Candy Fire Red, Metallic Ocean Blue, and Galaxy Silver-the new Vulcan 900 Classic will give prideful owners more reason to hit the road.
Kawasaki Classic 900 Specifications
- Engine Type: 4-Stroke, Liquid-Cooled, SOHC, 4-Valve Cylinder Head, V-Twin
- Displacement: 903 cc
- Bore and Stroke: 88 x 74.2 mm
- Maximum Torque: 60.8 lb.-ft. @ 3,700 rpm
- Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
- Fuel Injection: EFI with 34mm Keihin Throttle Bodies (2)
- Ignition: TCBI with Electronic Advance
- Transmission: 5-Speed
- Final Drive: Belt
- Rake/Trail: 32°/6.3 in.
- Front Wheel Travel: 5.9 in.
- Rear Wheel Travel: 4.1 in.
- Front Tire Size: 130/90-16
- Rear Tire Size: 180/70-15
- Wheelbase: 64.8 in.
- Front Suspension: 41mm Hydraulic Telescopic Fork
- Rear Suspension: Uni-Track swingarm
- Front Brake Type: Single 272mm Disc with 2-Piston Caliper
- Rear Brake Type: Single 242mm Disc
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 5.3 gal.
- Seat Height: 26.8 in.
- Overall Length: 97.0 in.
- Overall Width: 39.6 in.
- Overall Height: 41.9 in.
- Dry Weight: 557.9 lbs.
- Color: Ebony, Metallic Ocean Blue, Candy Fire Red, Galaxy Silver
- MSRP: $7,299
- 903cc V-twin SOHC engine tuned to deliver lots of torque from low rpm
- Smooth and reliable
- Gear-driven balancer allows use of single pin crankshaft without heavy vibration
Four-valve Cylinder Head
- Better breathing for more power and low-end torque
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
- Single overhead cam design is simple, lightweight and practical
- Extremely efficient intake tracts feature ports that narrow near the combustion chamber to increase intake flow speed for more efficient filling and increased torque
- Long intake tracts for great low-end response
Liquid and Air Cooling
- Finned cylinders and head combine with liquid cooling to provide exception thermal control
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power
- Automatic fan keeps things cool even in traffic
- Includes temperature warning light
Concealed Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner
- Maintains precise valve timing with maintenance
- Assures greater reliability
- Hidden from view to preserve the engine’s clean, basic look
- Eliminates engine vibration at all speeds
Dual Slash-Cut Mufflers
- Big slash-cut mufflers look great and contain honeycomb catalyzers to reduce emissions
Positive Neutral Finder
- Just life the shift pedal from first gear at a stop to find neural easy, every time
- A Kawasaki exclusive
Electronic Fuel Injection
- Dual throttle bodies with sub throttles provide optimum performance and rideability
- The sub throttles, located behind the main throttle valve, are controlled by the ECU so that the DFI system retains more precise throttle response, similar to a constant velocity carburetor
- Fine-atomizing fuel injectors produce a fine fuel mist for better acceleration, combustion and fuel consumption
- Lower unsprung weight than shaft drive to improve ride quality and suspension action
- More efficient so more power reaches the rear wheel
- Low maintenance and low noise
Double Cradle Frame
- Large-diameter box section backbone is very rigid, allows use of a larger fuel tank, and helps contribute to high stability and lightweight handling at low speeds
- Triangular swingarm appears to be a hardtail design, but acts on a single shock hidden beneath the seat
- Long and low for minimal seat height, maximum visual impact
- Fork offset and frame geometry combine for light, low-effort handling at ultra-low speeds
- Long wheelbase adds to highway stability
Low Stepped Seat
- Ultra-low 26.8-inch seat height allows riders to easily plant both feet on the ground at stops
- Laid-back riding comfort for two
Tank-Mounted Speedometer with Turn Signal Indicators and Caution Lamps
- Gives you the information you need at-a-glance
- Compact design complements the bike’s clean look
Push-to-Cancel Turn Signals
- No fumbling, just a simple push on the switch cancels the turn signals
41mm Front Fork
- Excellent rigidity and 5.9 inches of travel
- 32 degrees rake angle for excellent straight line ability
- Wide fork pitch for classic look
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
- A 272mm front and 242mm rear disc have twin-piston calipers for some of the best stopping power in the class
Spoke Custom Wheels
- Chromed steel rims and spokes
- “Spool-style” polished aluminum front hub
Wide Rear Tire
- 180mm rear tire provides added stability while projecting a powerful image
- Wider tire than that found on most large-displacement cruisers