- Horsepower @ RPM:
- 903 L
- Top Speed:
- 120 mph
KAWASAKI’S VULCANÂ® 900 CLASSIC LT BRINGS A NEW LEVEL OF PERFORMANCE AND STYLE TO THE MID-SIZE CRUISER CLASS This motorcycle has saddlebags, a special seat, passenger backrest, and windshield as standard issue.
Kawasaki is matching the introduction of its new Vulcan® 900 Classic with another new model with added performance and style. The new Vulcan 900 Classic LT will find a place right alongside its sibling when it comes to acceptance by a wide audience of riders, but the classic LT will be particularly attractive to those seeking an out-of-the-crate cruiser dressed up for cruising around town, or ready for open road touring.
This new V-twin entry for Kawasaki delivers all of the same riding characteristics as the Vulcan 900 Classic-featuring a category-leading 903cc engine displacement combined with “big-bike” look and feel, and torque to spare-but does it in an eye-appealing invitation to those for whom touring represents the ultimate get-away.
Kawasaki accessorizes the Vulcan 900 LT with saddlebags, a special seat, passenger backrest and an adjustable windshield. The only add-on that doesn’t show-up on the showroom hang-tag is the riding enjoyment that this new Vulcan addition will provide its owners.
The stylish saddlebags are made of reinforced top grain cowhide that has been carefully selected to minimize leather flaws and deep-dyed so the finish can’t be scraped off. These perfectly sized bags provide a slant-top opening, fastened with two 1.5-inch wide leather straps that feature chrome buckles and quick release stealth fasteners. Rounding out the look of these bags is an embossed Vulcan logo on the reinforced, dual panel lids, and chrome plated brass stud accents. Helping to protect both the bags and their contents are metal reinforced upper edges to help maintain shape, and rolled and riveted top lids to help keep unwanted moisture out.
The seat and passenger backrest combine to offer both comfort and a look that helps this touring machine take its place among the most stylish on the highway. The seat is detailed with chrome plated brass studs to match the bags, while the classic, tombstone-shaped passenger backrest sports identical studded appeal.
This long, low ride takes wind protection seriously; thick, optically correct acrylic plastic is used for the windscreen that’s shaped to smooth the airflow around the rider.
Once past the packaged look of the new Vulcan 900 Classic LT, the motorcyclist finds himself astride a ride that previously was only found with larger cruisers. Based on much of what has propelled acceptance of Kawasaki’s Vulcan 2000, the two new 900 Vulcan models deliver exceptional roll-on acceleration, easy maneuverability, and performance the equal of larger displacement competitors.
Curved engine fins add visual interest to the traditional look of the big, fuel-injected V-twin, while the four valves per cylinder, liquid cooled reliability, and smooth highway cruising aided by the engine’s counter balancer make this a worthy new entry in Kawasaki’s Vulcan stable.
The Vulcan 900 Classic LT features a belt drive that keeps the overall weight down and improves rear-end styling. Any mention of rear-end styling has to include this unit’s use of a large, 180mm wide rear tire, largest in the category. The beefy, “big-bike” look inherent with the larger tire adds to the guttural, classic V-twin sound that is produced by the use of a single-pin crankshaft. Both look and sound evoke the feel of a much larger motorcycle.
But the larger look and feel need not exclude any potential rider. The low seat height makes the Vulcan 900 accessible to shorter riders and its tapered and studded seat flows comfortably into the fuel tank and lower chassis rails and provides a narrowed shape, which makes it comfortable for all riders.
At home around town or when the open road calls for long-range stability, this motorcycle is built for hour upon hour of touring pleasure. The combination of wide handlebars and an ideal relationship between the bars, seat, and big-bike looking footboards offers an extremely comfortable mount for any motorcyclist. The ergonomically designed front bucket seat is comfortable enough for any distance, and the pillion pad make sharing the two-wheeled experience with a friend effortless.
Some of the other features that make the Vulcan 900 so appealing to such a wide audience are:
- It employs the same combustion chamber and intake/exhaust porting design concept as that used on Kawasaki’s Vulcan 2000 The dual throttle valves control an electronic fuel injection system that helps insure smooth responsiveness and easy-to-control torque characteristics
- Similar to the Vulcan 2000, it is equipped with an auto-fast idle system, featuring an rpm feedback relay that helps insure a fixed engine speed in all starting conditions
- Easy-to-control torque, thanks to the fuel injection system, making ultra-low speed riding surprisingly easy; matched with gutsy, low-rpm torque that makes the roll-on acceleration characteristics such a rider plus
- The fork offset and rake geometry are set for light, low-effort handling when maneuvering at low, in-town speeds The Vulcan 900 Classic LT will carry a 24-month factory warranty
- The new Vulcan 900 Classic LT will be in Kawasaki showrooms in two color combinations: Metallic Ocean Blue / Metallic Phantom Silver, and Ebony / Candy Fire Red. With either selection, owners of this new classic LT will be noticed by everyone they pass along the highway
Kawasaki Classic 900 Classis LT Specifications
- Engine Type: 4-Stroke, Liquid-Cooled, SOHC, 4-Valve Cylinder Head, V-Twin
- Displacement: 903 cc
- Bore and Stroke: 88 x 74.2 mm
- Maximum Torque: 60.8 lb.-ft. @ 3,700 rpm
- Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
- Fuel Injection: EFI with 34mm Keihin Throttle Bodies (2)
- Ignition: TCBI with Electronic Advance
- Transmission: 5-Speed
- Final Drive: Belt
- Rake/Trail: 32°/6.3 in.
- Front Wheel Travel: 5.9 in.
- Rear Wheel Travel: 4.1 in.
- Front Tire Size: 130/90-16
- Rear Tire Size: 180/70-15
- Wheelbase: 64.8 in.
- Front Suspension: 41mm Hydraulic Telescopic Fork
- Rear Suspension: Uni-Trak swingarm
- Front Brake Type: Single 272mm Disc with 2-Piston Caliper
- Rear Brake Type: Single 242mm Disc
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 5.3 gal.
- Seat Height: 26.8 in.
- Overall Length: 97.0 in.
- Overall Width: 39.6 in.
- Overall Height: 58.3 in.
- Dry Weight: 595.4 lbs.
- Color: Metallic Ocean Blue/Metallic Phantom Silver, Ebony/Candy Fire Red
- MSRP: $8,499
- 903cc V-twin SOHC engine tuned to deliver lots of torque from low rpm
- Smooth and reliable
- Gear-driven balancer allows use of single pin crankshaft without heavy vibration
Four-valve Cylinder Head
- Better breathing for more power and low-end torque
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
- Single overhead cam design is simple, lightweight and practical
- Extremely efficient intake tracts feature ports that narrow near the combustion chamber to increase intake flow speed for more efficient filling and increased torque
- Long intake tracts for great low-end response
Liquid and Air Cooling
- Finned cylinders and head combine with liquid cooling to provide exception thermal control
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power
- Automatic fan keeps things cool even in traffic
- Includes temperature warning light
Concealed Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner
- Maintains precise valve timing with maintenance
- Assures greater reliability
- Hidden from view to preserve the engine’s clean, basic look
- Eliminates engine vibration at all speeds
Dual Slash-Cut Mufflers
- Big slash-cut mufflers look great and contain honeycomb catalyzers to reduce emissions
Positive Neutral Finder
- Just life the shift pedal from first gear at a stop to find neural easy, every time
- A Kawasaki exclusive
Electronic Fuel Injection
- Dual throttle bodies with sub throttles provide optimum performance and rideability
- The sub throttles, located behind the main throttle valve, are controlled by the ECU so that the DFI system retains more precise throttle response, similar to a constant velocity carburetor
- Fine-atomizing fuel injectors produce a fine fuel mist for better acceleration, combustion and fuel consumption
- Lower unsprung weight than shaft drive to improve ride quality and suspension action
- More efficient so more power reaches the rear wheel
- Low maintenance and low noise
Double Cradle Frame
- Large-diameter box section backbone is very rigid, allows use of a larger fuel tank, and helps contribute to high stability and lightweight handling at low speeds
- Triangular swingarm appears to be a hardtail design, but acts on a single shock hidden beneath the seat
- Long and low for minimal seat height, maximum visual impact
- Fork offset and frame geometry combine for light, low-effort handling at ultra-low speeds
- Long wheelbase adds to highway stability
Low Stepped Seat
- Ultra-low 26.8-inch seat height allows riders to easily plant both feet on the ground at stops
- Laid-back riding comfort for two
Tank-Mounted Speedometer with Turn Signal Indicators and Caution Lamps
- Gives you the information you need at-a-glance
- Compact design complements the bike’s clean look
Push-to-Cancel Turn Signals
- No fumbling, just a simple push on the switch cancels the turn signals
41mm Front Fork
- Excellent rigidity and 5.9 inches of travel
- 32 degrees rake angle for excellent straight line ability
- Wide fork pitch for classic look
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
- A 272mm front and 242mm rear disc have twin-piston calipers for some of the best stopping power in the class
Spoke Custom Wheels
- Chromed steel rims and spokes
- “Spool-style” polished aluminum front hub
Wide Rear Tire
- 180mm rear tire provides added stability while projecting a powerful image
- Wider tire than that found on most large-displacement cruisers
- Made of reinforced top grain cowhide that is carefully selected with minimal flaws and deep dyed so that the finish can’t be scraped off
- Slant top opening lid, fastened with two 1.5-inch wide leather straps with chrome buckles and quick release stealth fasteners
- Dual panel lid construction with embossed Vulcan logo detail
- One-half inch diameter chrome plated brass stud accents
- Metal reinforced upper edge so bags hold their shape
- Rolled and riveted top lid minimizes water entry
- Detailed with ½-inch diameter chrome plated brass studs
- Classic tombstone shape
- Strong chrome plated steel supports
- Pad cover detailed with chrome plated brass studs
- Thick, optically correct acrylic plastic windscreen is shaped for smooth airflow and cruiser style
- Strong chrome plated steel supports
- Two-position adjustable height