The ZZRÂ®600 provides a superb combination of back road prowess, sport-touring comfort and the agility of a great daily commuter - and like any bike descended from the race-winning NinjaÂ® sport bike line, it looks good doing it.
The ZZR®600 sets the standard for practical middleweight performance while offering class-leading comfort and cutting edge style. Well on its way to legend status, this modern sportbike has earned a healthy respect from the motorcycling public and finicky motojournalists alike, thanks to its excellent overall balance and scintillating performance.
The ZZR600 is powered by a 599cc, liquid-cooled, inline, four-cylinder engine with dual overhead cams and four valves per cylinder. Kawasaki’s Twin Ram Air Induction system, which features a leading-edge air scoop at the front of the bike’s fairing, forces cool air into the ZZR600’s airbox and then onto its four 36mm carburetors.
The carburetors also feature the Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC), which monitors the throttle position and adjusts ignition timing for the engine’s four spark-plug mounted ignition coils, maximizing the ZZR’s performance at every rpm.
The high-tech engine is matched to a close-ratio six-speed transmission, providing the ZZR600 rider with the best gear for any riding situation, whether it’s freeway droning or handling some back road twisties.
A lightweight aluminum perimeter frame provides the backbone of the ZZR600’s chassis, while suspension duties are handled by a fully adjustable 46mm cartridge-type front fork and fully adjustable UNI-TRAK® rear suspension.
Stopping power is provided by six-piston calipers gripping dual 300mm semi-floating front disc brakes, matched by a 220mm rear disc brake.
The ZZR600 is shod with high-performance radial tires mounted on 17-inch aluminum wheels. The 120/65ZR17 front and 180/55ZR17 rear tires provide maximum traction and help provide a smooth ride over bumpy surface streets and freeway expansion joints.
Kawasaki ZZR600 Specifications
- Engine: Four-stroke DOHC inline four, 16 valves
- Displacement: 599cc
- Starting: Electric
- Bore x stroke: 66.0 x 43.8mm
- Compression ratio: 12.8:1
- Cooling: Liquid
- Carburetion: (4) Mikuni BDSR 36R
- Ignition: Digital
- Transmission: Six speed
- Final drive: Chain
- Frame: Aluminum perimeter design
- Rake / trail: 23.5 degrees / 3.7 in.
- Front suspension / wheel travel: 46mm Cartridge Front Fork, fully adjustable / 4.7 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® rear linkage, 20-way compression and
- rebound damping, ride height adjustment / 5.3 in.
- Front tire: 120/65ZR17
- Rear tire: 180/55ZR17
- Front brakes: 300mm dual hydraulic disc with six-piston calipers
- Rear brake: 220mm hydraulic disc
- Overall length: 79.9 in.
- Overall width: 28.7 in.
- Overall height: 46.3 in.
- Seat height: 32.3 in.
- Ground clearance: 5.7 in.
- Dry weight: 377 lbs. (49-state model), 381.5 lbs. (Calif. model)
- Wheelbase: 55.1 in.
- Fuel capacity: 4.8 gal.
- Color: Galaxy Silver
599cc Four-Cylinder DOHC Engine
- To decrease engine weight and improve heat transfer, the cylinders have linerless, electroplated aluminum bores
- The combustion chamber uses a pentroof/semi-hemi design with a higher compression ratio for more low-end torque and more power throughout the rev range
- The alternator, sump, cylinder head, clutch, and cam chain covers are magnesium to cut weight
- The automatic fan is on the left side of the curved aluminum radiator to save space
- A liquid-cooled oil cooler helps keep the oil cool
Twin Ram Air Induction
- Large ducts for more air pressure, which increases high speed power
- The extended opening increases pressure in the system for excellent volumetric efficiency
Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC)
- K-TRIC monitors throttle position and engine rpm, and controls ignition advance for the best power, fuel economy and detonation resistance
Transistor Controlled Breakerless Ignition with Digital Advance
- A 16-bit central processing unit responds more quickly to engine needs
- Never needs adjustment
- The rotor has 12 projections to update the processor often
Spark Plug-Mounted Ignition Coils
- Four small ignition coils are in the spark plug caps to reduce overall weight, take up less room, and provide strong, consistent spark
- To meet emissions limits and make even more power at the same time, all models have a pre-catalyzer in the pipe leading to the muffler
- California models also have a catalyzer in the muffler
Fully Adjustable 46mm Cartridge Front Fork
- Large 46mm fork tubes are extra rigid to improve handling performance on the street
Bottom-Link UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
- Extruded aluminum swingarm is lightweight and rigid
- Upper shock mount is threaded for ride height adjustment
Dual Semi-Floating Front Disc Brakes
- The six-piston opposed front brake calipers have differential size pistons and aggressive pad material for excellent feel and bite
- 300mm discus are 5mm thick to stand up to extreme use
220mm Rear Disc Brake
- Small overall diameter saves weight
- Lightweight, single-piston caliper produces quick, sure stops
Lightweight Aluminum Perimeter Frame
- Short wheelbase and steep head angle produce quick, responsive handling
- Rigid design provides good handling and durability
- The speedometer includes a coolant temperature gauge, odometer, trip meter, and a clock
- The tachometer incorporates a coolant warning light
Comfortable Riding Position
- The handlebars are an easy reach, a nice flat seat gives comfort for long rides and wide mirrors reveal more than your shoulders
- The fairing and windscreen offer an easy ride with great protection from the elements
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories
- Available accessories include tank bra, locks, alarm and bike cover
The simple, sleek lines of the ZZR600’s aerodynamic bodywork are distinctly Kawasaki in appearance, striking an elegant-but-athletic balance with its aluminum frame, angled front fairing, performance-enhancing air scoop and three-spoke wheels.
Plus, the ZZR600 makes long-distance rides a pleasure with a stepped flat seat, bars that are easy to reach and wide mirrors that provide an exceptional view.
The instrument cluster for the ZZR600 is entirely electronic and includes a speedometer, tachometer, coolant temperature gauge, odometer, trip meter and – one of the most desirable of features – a digital clock.