The venerable PrairieÂ® 700 4x4 is the direct descendent of the original Kawasaki 4x4 that revolutionized the world of all-terrain vehicles (ATVs). With seemingly unlimited power from its V-twin engine, a finely tuned automatic transmission and variable front differential control, the Prairie continues to win magazine shootouts and has set the standard for other brands to follow.
The heart of the Prairie 700 4x4 is a liquid-cooled, four-stroke, 90-degree V-twin engine, which borrows many of its features from Kawasaki’s popular KFX®700 sport ATV. These include engine cases, cylinders, cylinder heads, dual Keihin CVKR-D32 carburetors, and the same bore and stroke as that of the KFX700.
Power from the V-twin engine is transferred through Kawasaki’s continuously variable transmission (CVT) to the dependable shaft drive. Plus, with the flip of a switch, the Prairie 700 4x4 rider can select two- or four-wheel drive operation.
The Prairie 700 4x4 also features Kawasaki’s Variable Front Differential Control. When operating in four-wheel drive, the rider can pull a small lever on the left handlebar to vary the amount of differential slip. This helps the rider control the power delivered to each front wheel, so the wheel with traction will always receive some torque, a decided advantage when encountering deep mud or slippery uphill trails.
The Prairie 700 4x4 braking system has stopping power equal to its enhanced V-twin engine, with dual front disc brakes and the Kawasaki’s oil-bathed, multi-disc rear brake system to give the rider maximum control.
To assist the operator when descending steep hills, the Prairie 700 4x4 also features Kawasaki Engine Brake Control, which electronically monitors ground speed and uses the engine’s compression to help slow the ATV.
To provide a smooth, comfortable ride becoming of a Kawasaki, the Prairie 700 4x4 rides on MacPherson strut front suspension with 6.7 inches of travel and a rear aluminum swingarm with 7.2 inches of travel.
Other Prairie 700 4x4 comforts include a large saddle and adjustable footpegs atop full-sized floorboards. Plus, the cargo racks can carry 264 pounds.
Kwasaki Prairie 700 4X4 Specifications
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, 90-degree, 4-stroke V-twin
- Valve system: SOHC, four valves
- Displacement: 697cc
- Starting system: Electric with recoil back-up
- Bore x stroke: 82 x 66mm
- Compression ratio: 9.9:1
- Carburetion: (2) Keihin CVKR-D32
- Ignition: DC-CDI
- Transmission: Continuously variable transmission with Kawasaki Engine Brake Control, high and low range, plus reverse
- Final drive: Selectable four-wheel drive with Variable Front Differential Control, shaft
- Frame: Double cradle, tubular steel
- Front suspension / wheel travel: MacPherson / 6.7 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: Aluminum swingarm and single shock / 7.2 in.
- Front tires: AT25x8-12
- Rear tires: AT25x10-12
- Front brakes: (2) Dual-piston disc
- Rear brake: Sealed oil-bathed multi-disc
- Overall length: 86.2 in.
- Overall width: 46.5 in.
- Wheelbase: 50.8 in.
- Ground clearance: At center of chassis, 9.5 in. / at rear axle, 7.6 in.
- Seat height: 34.3 in.
- Lighting: 45W x 2 halogen
- Rack capacity, front / rear 88 lbs. / 176 lbs.
- Towing capacity: 1,250 lbs.
- Dry weight: 604 lbs.
- Fuel capacity: 4.5 gal.
- Instruments: Speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, clock, hour meter, fuel gauge, 2x4/4x4 indicator light, neutral indicator light, reverse indicator light, low fuel warning light, low oil warning light
- Colors: Woodsman Green, Aztec Red, Team Green™ Edition
- 90-degree, 697cc four-stroke engine shares many of the design features of the KFX®700 sport ATV, giving it exceptional performance and torque
- Continuously variable transmission has high and low forward gears plus reverse, so no shifting is required
- Selectable four-wheel drive gives the rider the ability to choose two-wheel or four-wheel drive
- Limited-slip front differential permits easy turning, yet the rider can utilize the Variable Front Differential Control to “lock” the front wheels for maximum traction on difficult terrain
- Electronically controlled Kawasaki Engine Brake Control helps to slow the ATV when traversing steep downhills
- Dual-piston caliper front disc brakes provide aggressive stopping power and are complemented by the industry’s first sealed, oil-bathed, multi-disc rear braking system
- MacPherson strut front suspension gives a smooth, comfortable ride
- Aluminum swingarm is sturdy and lightweight, and the shock features adjustable spring preload - A fully digital instrument panel provides the rider important information at a glance
- Bumper, front grille and cargo racks are rugged and practical-the racks can carry 264 pounds
- Tow hitch comes standard