While the competition sells some nice big-bore all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) with single-cylinder engines and four-wheel drive, the Brute Force 650 4x4 comes with Kawasaki’s legendary V-twin engine, a leading-edge 4x4 system and angular good looks for about the same price.
The Brute Force 650 4x4 is powered by Kawasaki’s highly acclaimed liquid-cooled 633cc, 90-degree V-twin engine featuring single overhead cams and four valves per cylinder. It is fed by dual 32mm Keihin carburetors drawing fresh air from a snorkel intake located high in the frame near the steering head. Together, these powerplant features provide the rider with industry-leading torque and smooth-running operation unmatched by the competition.
Power is then transferred to Kawasaki’s much-acclaimed fully automatic continuously variable transmission (CVT). With high or low forward gears, plus neutral and reverse, this proven transmission functions seamlessly, providing excellent control for both low- and high-speed work or recreational riding. Plus, the Brute Force 650 4x4 can also be started in any gear, provided the brakes are applied.
Complementing the CVT is a switch on the right handle bar that gives the rider a choice of either two-wheel or four-wheel drive operation, and power is delivered to the wheels by dependable, low-maintenance shaft drive. In normal four-wheel drive mode, the front wheels provide extra traction for adverse terrain, while the limited-slip differential allows the rider to make tight turns and reduces steering effort.
As expected, the Brute Force 650 4x4 includes Kawasaki’s Variable Front Differential Control, a favorite feature often praised by editors of the leading ATV magazines. By pulling a small lever on the left handlebar, the rider can deliver equal amounts of power to both front wheels, a definite advantage for riders encountering deep mud and slippery uphill trails or when traversing over large objects such as logs or rocks.
The Brute Force 650 4x4 braking system also benefits from leading-edge Kawasaki design. Dual front disc brakes with dual-piston calipers are matched to Kawasaki’s sealed, oil-bathed, multi-disc rear brake system. As an integrated part of the shaft drive, the rear braking system is sealed in the aluminum swingarm where it operates in an oil bath. This protects the brake pads from mud, dust and debris, and is virtually maintenance-free.
Working in conjunction with the high-performance brakes is the Kawasaki Engine Brake Control system, which electronically monitors ground speed and uses the engine’s compression to help slow the ATV.
Kawasaki’s 4x4 ATVs have a well-deserved reputation for providing smooth, comfortable rides and the Brute Force 650 4x4 carries on this tradition. MacPherson strut front suspension with 6.7 inches of travel grace the front end, while the aluminum swingarm rear suspension features a fully adjustable spring, piggy-back reservoir and 7.2 inches of travel.
Additional comfort is provided by a large saddle and adjustable footpegs mounted atop full-size floorboards. To help reduce unsprung weight and further enhance the smooth ride, the Brute Force rides on aluminum wheels.
The Brute Force 650 4x4 is wrapped in tough-looking bodywork styled after its bigger sibling, the Brute Force 750 4x4i. With its modern, aggressively angled lines complemented by cat-eye headlights, the bodywork is made from Thermo-Plastic Olefin, which has an ultra-high gloss appearance and is scratch-resistant.
Other features include front and rear steel racks that can carry a total of 264 pounds of cargo, and a tow hitch so it can tow up to 1,250 pounds. Kawasaki engineers also provided space inside the front guard so it can accommodate a Warn 3000 winch or Super Winch 3000.
The Brute Force 650 4x4 comes with fully digital instrumentation, including speedometer, odometer, dual resettable trip meters, clock, hour meter, fuel gauge and 2x4/4x4 indicators. There is also a DC power outlet.
Combines the best of Kawasaki’s award-winning 4x4 ATVs
- The smooth torque of Kawasaki’s original V-twin engine
- An advanced chassis, suspension, automatic transmission and brakes
- Tough body style
- Big-bore performance and a long list of standard features at a mid-class price point
- 90-degree, liquid-cooled, four-valves per cylinder, 633cc, four-stroke engine produces massive torque yet is exceptionally smooth running
- Electronically controlled Kawasaki Engine Brake Control system helps to slow the ATV when traversing steep downhills
Transmission and Powertrain
- Fully automatic transmission has high and low forward gears plus reverse
- Selectable four-wheel drive gives the rider the ability to choose two-wheel or four-wheel drive
- The limited-slip front differential permits easy turning, yet the rider can utilize the Variable Front Differential Control to “lock” the front wheels for maximum traction on difficult terrain
- Dual-piston caliper front disc brakes provide aggressive stopping power
- The industry’s original sealed, oil-bathed, multi-disc rear braking system
- Aluminum swingarm is sturdy and lightweight, and the shock absorber features adjustable spring preload
- MacPherson strut front suspension provides a smooth, comfortable ride
- Full-size floorboards are comfortable and help protect the rider’s feet from mud and debris
- Cat-eye headlights add to the its clean and aggressive look
- A digital instrument panel provides the rider important information at a glance
- Can tow 1,250 pounds and steel racks can carry a total of 264 pounds
- Standard winch-mount can accommodate a Warn 3000 or Super Winch 3000
Engine: Liquid-cooled, 90-degree, 4-stroke V-twin
Valve system: SOHC, four valves
Starting system: Electric with recoil back up
Bore x stroke: 80 x 63mm
Compression ratio: 9.9:1
Carburetion: (2) Keihin CVKR-D32
Transmission: Dual-range CVT plus reverse with Kawasaki Engine Brake Control
Final drive: 2x4 / 4x4 shaft
Frame: Double cradle, tubular steel
Front suspension / wheel travel: MacPherson / 6.7 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Aluminum swingarm and single shock / 7.2 in.
Front tires: AT25x8-12
Rear tires: AT25x10-12
Front brakes: (2) Dual-piston disc
Rear brake: Sealed, oil-bathed, multi-disc
Overall length: 86.0 in.
Overall width: 47.7 in.
Wheelbase: 50.9 in.
Ground clearance: At center of chassis, 9.0 / at rear axle, 7.3 in.
Seat height: 33.9 in.
Lighting, headlights: (2) 45-watt headlights, taillight, brake light
Total rack capacity: 264 lbs.
Towing capacity: 1,250 lbs.
Dry weight: 602 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 4.8 gal.
Instruments: Speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, clock, hour meter, fuel gauge, 2x4 / 4x4 indicator light, neutral indicator light, reverse indicator light, low fuel warning light, low oil warning light
- $6,599 Woodsman Green, Aztec Red, Super Black;
- $6,949 Hardwoods Green HD