It’s the age-old tale of the small fry trying to make a name for itself in a world full of huge, muscle-bound menaces. If you were to write a story about the Kawasaki Bayou 250, that would be how you’d spin it.
But then again, the Bayou’s size belies something that’s far more important than just dimensions. This ATV is one formidable workhorse, one that’s not only simple to use and easy to love, but also has a powerful engine that will impress you more than you think.
Compact, nimble, and excellent for just about any surface it rides on, the Kawasaki Bayou 250 is the epitome of a versatile ATV. The design of the bike is simple, yet highly efficient, with front and rear steel racks carrying a combined payload capacity of 110 pounds.
At the heart of the Bayou 250 is a 228cc air-cooled four-stroke engine that comes with a five-speed transmission with reverse and connected to a reliable and quiet shaft drive. The smooth and reliable power the Bayou 250 produces is more than enough for an ATV of this size. Combine that with a hassle-free electric starter that offers push-button starting convenience and a recoil starter that offers additional starting option in the event of a low battery and you have an ATV that’s as tough as nails without any of the hang-ups.
Speaking of toughness, the Bayou 250 is all that and some, thanks to an independent A-arm front suspension and a semi-independent multi-link rear suspension - the only ATV of its class to offer this - providing a smooth, compliant ride without any of the complexity or maintenance required by a fully independent design.
Find out more about the Kawasaki Bayou 250 after the jump.
Engine and Transmission
- 228cc Air-cooled Four-stroke engine
- Smooth and reliable power
- Hassle-free electric starter offers push-button starting convenience
- Recoil starter offers additional starting option in the event of a low battery
- Semi-automatic five-speed transmission with reverse is durable and easy to operate
- Shaft drive is reliable, quiet and very low maintenance Environmentally Friendly Emissions
- Quiet muffler is equipped with a catalytic converter
- Complies with EPA and CARB regulations
- Main jet changed to match jetting requirements of the catalytic converter additions
Chassis and Suspension
- Steel cargo racks can carry a combined weight of 110 pounds
- Triple drum brakes offer progressive stopping power
- 450-pound towing capacity
- Molded bodywork is tough and easy to clean
- Independent A-arm front suspension offers comfortable ride
- Only ATV in its class with a semi-independent rear suspension
- Easy-to-read fuel gauge allows the rider to check the fuel level at a glance
- 12-volt connector provides convenient power for your electrical accessories
|Engine||Air-cooled, four-stroke, single cylinder|
|Bore x Stroke||69.0 x 61.0mm|
|Compression ratio||8.9: 1|
|Carburetion||Single 24mm Mikuni VM24SS|
|Ignition||Solid state with electronic ignition backup|
|Transmission||Five-speed-plus reverse with automatic clutch|
|Frame Type||Double cradle, steel|
|Suspension front / wheel travel||Single A-arm, independent / 4.5 in.|
|Suspension rear / wheel travel||Semi-independent Quad-Link with dual shocks / 4.9 in.|
|Front Tire Size||AT21x8-9 tubeless|
|Rear Tire Size||AT22x10-10 tubeless|
|Front brakes / rear brakes||Dual drums / Drum|
|Overall length||70.1 in.|
|Overall width||40.2 in.|
|Ground clearance||Center of chassis – 7.5 in., at rear axle – 6.1 in.|
|Seat height||28.7 in.|
|Lighting||25W x 2|
|Rack capacity, front / rear||44 / 66 lbs.|
|Towing capacity||450 lbs.|
|Fuel capacity||2.6 gal.|
|Curb weight||427.8 lbs.|
|Instruments||Neutral indicator, reverse indicator|
|Color Choices||Woodsman Green, Adventure Blue|
|Good Times Protection Plan||12, 24, 36 or 48 months|