Not everybody is fully equipped in jumping into a full-fledged motocross bike off the bat. Some people need to get used to them and Kawasaki has the perfect bike for the job: The KX100.
As one of the best entry-level motocross bikes for novice riders, the KX100 helps bridge the gap between classes, providing growing adolescent riders with a machine that accommodates both their growing skill base and their physical size while also giving them an ideal tool to hone their skills before jumping onto a bigger bike.
The KX100 is a simply designed bike that offers nothing in excess. If there was any, the aggressive graphics in the bike that matches its black frame could probably constitute as that. But more than just stickers and graphics, the KX100 comes with a 99cc liquid-cooled two-stroke engine that offers more power and a broader spread of it than the KX85. It also has a 28mm Keihin carburetor and carbon-fiber reed valve assembly, providing a crisp throttle response while the Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System helps produce a powerband with good low-end torque and a strong top-end rush. The power then passes onto a smooth-shifting six-speed transmission, giving the KX a gear for every situation on the race track.
As far as its handling and set-up are concerned, the KX100 comes with an adjustable long-travel suspension at both ends to help smooth even the roughest motocross circuits. The 36mm inverted cartridge fork has compression damping adjustment capability, whereas the UNI-TRAK rear suspension system has a shock absorber that’s more than capable for a variety of purposes, including spring preload, compression, and rebound damping. As for the brakes, the KX100 has front and rear discs that are mounted with shoulder bolts for easier maintenance.
Find out more bout the Kawasaki KX100 after the jump.
- Utilizes a separate clutch cover on the engine’s right side for quick servicing without removing the water pump cover
- Liquid-cooling assures even-running temperatures, consistent power output and greater reliability
- Bridges between intake and exhaust ports are machine-finished for increased durability
- Rotor utilizes rare-earth magnets – the unitized piece is small, light and more efficient; low inertial moment improves low-rpm response
- Connecting rod big-end bearing has a more rigid cage for improved durability
- Intake port shape and cylinder skirt allow cooling air into the crankcase chamber
- Primary gear is secured using a lock-nut to help reduce mechanical noise
- Metafoam gaskets for the generator and water pump covers improve sealing
- KIPS system varies exhaust port height for increased horsepower and torque at all rpm
- Produces a broad powerband with more low-end torque while retaining excellent top-end power
- Breather in KIPS cover improves high-rpm and overrun performance
- Swingarm uses large cross-section beams for more rigidity and control
- Swingarm incorporates cast-aluminum drive chain adjuster sections for easy chain adjustments
- Flanged collars at the bearings to protect seals from mud
- Fully adjustable shock with compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload adjustability
- Clutch hub rides on needle bearings for smooth action
- Large clutch plates measure 119mm in diameter for added durability and control
- Clutch-release lever ratio provides light clutch lever action
- Thick clutch basket housing improves durability
- Clutch plate service cover simplifies maintenance and utilizes a metal-carbon composite gasket
|Engine||Two-stroke single with KIPS®|
|Bore x Stroke||52.5 x 45.8mm|
|Induction||Two-petal reed valve|
|Compression ratio||9.6:1 (low speed) – 8.8:1 (high speed)|
|Frame Type||High-tensile steel perimeter design with subframe member|
|Rake/Trail||27 degrees / 4.1 in.|
|Front suspension / wheel travel||36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 18 position compression damping adjustment/ 10.8 in.|
|Rear suspension / wheel travel||UNI-TRAK® single shock system with 4 position compression and 20 position rebound damping adjustment plus adjustable spring preload/ 10.8 in.|
|Front Tire Size ||70/100x19|
|Rear Tire Size||90/100x16|
|Front brakes / rear brakes||Hydraulic disc / Disc|
|Overall length||75.2 in.|
|Overall width||28.9 in.|
|Overall height||43.5 in.|
|Ground clearance||15.0 in.|
|Seat height||34.3 in.|
|Curb weight||156.5 lbs.|
|Fuel capacity||1.5 gal.|
|Color Choices||Lime Green|
MotorCycle USA----"The Kawasaki KX100 is a bike that will allow the beginner rider to still be confident riding while getting ready for the higher 250cc engine. The Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System helps produce a powerband with good low-end torque and a strong top-end rush."