- single-cylinder engine
- six-speed transmission
- 249 L
When you need a nimble and versatile bike that can also pose as an effective commuter, look no further than the Kawasaki KX 250S.
The bike is built to be a double-duty machine, capable of traveling on any surface with the kind of all-world versatility that Kawasaki bikes are known for. The KX 250S blends excellent craftsmanship with performance capabilities few other bikes in its class can match. As a bike that’s suited for the rigors of off-road riding, the KX 250S boasts of additional protection for the exposed underside of the machine in the form of an aluminum engine guard. Dual lightweight, high-capacity Denso radiators and an electric fan are also part of the set-up, providing ample cooling, especially when the bike is exposed to the radiant heat of the sun.
The KX 250S is powered by an efficient 249cc single-cylinder engine that’s best suited for maneuvering through urban traffic or exploring the trails. The engine is mounted in a light, high-tensile steel perimeter frame, providing a low center of gravity that then translates into superior maneuvering on tight trails. A highly refined six-speed transmission is then mated to the bike, boasting of the right gears that can take on any terrain it travels on, be it the dirty trail or paved open road. The engine set-up also boasts of a 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor that gives great throttle response and broad, smooth power across a wide rpm range.
Some bikes are built for a single purpose while others are built to become everyday rides. The Kawasaki KX 250S is a card-carrying member of the latter group, and for all of its qualities, it’s definitely deserving of your attention.
Find out more about the Kawasaki KX 250S after the jump.
- Compact engine design is lightweight and high revving, with a broad torque curve
- Good mass centralization for superior handling
- Flat-top piston and pentroof combustion chamber deliver an 11:1 compression ratio
- Lightweight piston, piston pin and connecting rod enable higher revs for maximum power
- Aluminum cylinder features electrofusion coating, which allows a tight clearance between piston and cylinder for greater horsepower and increased engine life thanks to superior heat transfer and lubrication retention properties
- A gear-driven engine balancer provides smooth power delivery from idle to redline
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow, to boost low-end torque while providing improved high-rpm breathing efficiency for more power
- 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor delivers the optimum amount of fuel at all rpm, resulting in improved throttle response, greater power and excellent fuel economy
- Meets strict CARB regulations, so it’s available in all 50 states
- 9.1-inches of rear wheel travel for straight-line stability, great handling and a low seat height
- Progressive linkage rate provides a smooth ride and excellent bottoming resistance
- The gas-charged remote-reservoir shock features 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping
- On and off-road capability means maximum versatility
- 249cc engine is liquid cooled for long engine life
- Adjustable 43mm fork offers excellent rigidity and consistent damping
- Adjustable Uni-Trak rear suspension helps ensure a smooth ride and great handling
- Fully digital instrumentation has easy-to-read speedometer and tachometer
- Starting is easy with push-button electric start
- Six-speed transmission provides the right gear for any situation
- Brakes feature petal-style discs for superior stopping power
The KLX250S’s straight-line stability is enhanced by a rigid square-section main frame, yet its short wheelbase gives it outstanding turning aptitude. Complementing the chassis is a lightweight aluminum swingarm employing a highly rigid D-shaped cross section. KX racing-type chain adjusters allow for precise chain adjustments.
The KLX250S’s custom spring and damping settings, with slightly less wheel travel than a dedicated off-road machine, give a more planted feel in corners and make it easier for riders to reach the ground. The 43mm inverted cartridge-style front fork features 16-way adjustable compression damping and 10.0-inches of travel. The Uni-Trak linkage-type rear suspension has 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping, providing 9.1-inches of wheel travel. Strong, 4mm-thick spokes in the 21-inch front and 18-inch rear wheels provide excellent rigidity for enhanced off-road durability. The KLX250S also stops hard, thanks to twin-piston calipers squeezing a 250mm semi-floating petal-shaped disc up front and a 240mm petal-shaped disc at the rear.
Aggressively styled bodywork finishes off this powerful and rugged package, and a custom seat filled with firm urethane and a carefully chosen handlebar pull it all together for long, comfortable days on the road and off it.
Riders seeking enduro handling and modern engine performance in a dual-purpose motorcycle designed for effortless street riding will find it at their local Kawasaki dealership. The KLX250S offers serious capabilities in a fun, easy-to-ride package, regardless of where the adventure takes it.
|Engine||Four-stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, four-valve single|
|Bore x Stroke||72.0 x 61.2mm|
|Frame Type||Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel|
|Rake/Trail||26.5 degrees / 4.1 in.|
|Front suspension / wheel travel||43mm Inverted Cartridge Fork with 16-Way Compression Damping Adjustment / 10.0 in.|
|Rear suspension / wheel travel||Uni-Trak® with Adjustable Preload, 16-Way Compression and Rebound Damping Adjustment / 9.1 in.|
|Front Tire Size||80/100x21|
|Rear Tire Size||100/100x18|
|Front brakes / rear brakes||50mm semi-floating petal disc with two-piston hydraulic caliper / 240mm petal disc with single-piston hydraulic caliper|
|Overall length||86.6 in.|
|Overall width||32.3 in.|
|Overall Height||47.4 in.|
|Seat height||35.0 in.|
|Ground clearance||11.2 in.|
|Fuel capacity||2.0 gal.|
|Curb weight||297.7 lbs.|
|Color Choices||Lime Green, Red|
Infosportbike---"When the adventure takes riders off the beaten track, KLX250S is the right tool for the job. Built as well as on-and off-road, running light and nimble, perfect for KLX250S dual-sport fun. This is a powerful single-cylinder engine suitable for maneuvering in city traffic or trails to explore. No matter where the journey takes, it will improve the long KLX suspension, impressive handling and reliable liquid-cooled engine."