- two-stroke engine
- six-speed transmission
- 84 L
Kids today are getting more and more sophisticated about their hobbies, so much so that seeing a little tyke riding a motorcycle isn’t an uncommon occurrence anymore. That being said, it’s much easier to get these kids introduced to the world of motor bikes by going the route of a small and nimble ride as opposed to going straight to the big leagues.
One such bike that can accommodate the young ones is the Kawasaki KX85. In terms of its overall look, the KX85 comes with a black-painted, high-tensile steel perimeter frame with a specially designed fuel tank sitting inside the cage to keep the fuel load and, thus, the center of mass as low as possible for improved handling. All this is wrapped in lime green body panels, with lightweight black aluminum wheels and aggressive graphics. The result is a factory-look racer with factory-like performance.
This little rocket ship is also powered by a simple two-stroke, 84cc engine that actually puts out eye-popping power relative to its size. The KX85’s engine is mated to a six-speed transmission that delivers smooth and positive shifting along with enhanced durability, proving that this intro bike is tougher than it looks. Further enhancing the KX85’s tractable power are the Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System (KIPS) and tuned exhaust pipe that provides better drive out of corners and a linear power delivery for young riders of varying skill levels.
More than just the engine, the Kawasaki KX85 comes with an advanced chassis package with a 36mm cartridge fork that has 18-way compression damping adjustability and settings designed to make mince meat of even the toughest of tracks. The UNI-TRAK shock in the back features fully adjustable spring preload, compression, and rebound damping for superior rear wheel control.
Find out more about the Kawasaki KX85 after the jump.
- Lightweight Electrofusion-coated cylinder improves heat transfer while resisting abrasion and seizure
- Intake and exhaust port bridges are machine-finished for reduced wear and improved reliability
- Liquid cooling means even-running temperatures and consistent power output
- Rotor comes with rare-earth magnets; the unitized piece is small, light and more efficient; low inertial moment improves low-rpm response
- Connecting rod big-end bearing has more rigid cage for improved durability
- Intake port shape and cylinder skirt allow cooling air into the crankcase chamber
- Primary gear is secured using a lock-nut to help reduce mechanical noise
- Metafoam gaskets for the generator and water pump covers improve sealing
- Swingarm uses large cross-section beams for improved rigidity and control
- Cast-aluminum drive chain adjuster sections allow easy chain adjustments
- Shock is fully adjustable for compression and rebound damping and spring preload
- Positive shifting action and rugged durability
- Fifth and sixth gears ride on bushings for added reliability
- Shift forks are hard chrome-finished to resist wear and seizing
- Convenient oil-level window offers easy level checks
- Bushings on the second, third and fourth gears increase durability
|Engine||Two-stroke single with KIPS|
|Bore x Stroke||48.5 x 45.8mm|
|Induction||Crankcase reed valve|
|Compression ratio||10.0:1 (low speed) – 9.2:1 (high speed)|
|Frame Type||High-tensile steel perimeter design with subframe member|
|Rake/Trail||27 degrees / 3.5 in.|
|Front suspension / wheel travel||36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 18 position compression damping adjustment/ 10.8 in.|
|Rear suspension / wheel travel||UNI-TRAK single shock system with 4 position compression and 20 position damping adjustment plus adjustable spring preload/ 10.8 in.|
|Front Tire Size||70/100x17|
|Rear Tire Size||90/100x14|
|Front brakes / rear brakes||Hydraulic disc / Disc|
|Overall length||71.7 in.|
|Overall width||28.9 in.|
|Overall height||41.5 in.|
|Ground clearance||13.4 in.|
|Seat height||33.1 in.|
|Curb weight||152.1 lbs.|
|Fuel capacity||1.5 gal.|
|Color Choices||Lime Green|
Motorcycle USA----"The Kawasaki KX85 is a fast little machine that is equipped with the UNI-TRAK shock in back that features fully adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping for superior rear wheel control. The KX85’s six-speed transmission delivers smooth and positive shifting along with enhanced durability thanks to hard chrome-finished shift fork ends, a thick base on the clutch basket housing and an additional bushing on the input shaft."