- 16-valve, DOHC, liquid-cooled inline-four engine
- 998 L
The 2012 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R is the quintessential finished product when passion and technology merge. Redesigned and retooled a year ago, the 2012 ZX-10R is chalk-full of new technology that elevates the bike above all others in its class.
It’s very hard for a bike to boast such claims, but this one can rightfully do so without even batting an eyelash. The ZX-10R is powered by a potent 998cc, 16-valve, DOHC, liquid-cooled inline-four engine. This power plant has been tuned to optimize power delivery, center of gravity, and actual engine placement within the chassis while the steady release of torque allows the bike to eliminate power peaks and valleys that make it difficult for racers and track-day riders to open the throttle with confidence.
On top of the impressive power train, the ZX-10R also comes with new Kawasaki technology: the highly advanced and customizable Sport-Kawasaki Traction Control that allows riders to harness and capitalize on the ZX-10R’s amazing blend of power and responsive handling. The system is called Sport-Kawasaki Traction Control, or S-KTRC, and works by crunching numbers from a variety of parameters and sensors, including wheel speed and slip, engine rpm, throttle position, acceleration, etc. The S-KTRC system also relies on complex software buried in the ZX-10R’s Electronic Control Unit (ECU) working to quickly reduce power at the right time where slippage exceeds the optimal traction zone. This allows the S-KTRC system to maintain the optimum level of tire grip to maximize forward motion, resulting in an improved lap time and better rider confidence across the board. Working on three different modes of operation - Level 1 (Max-Grip), Level 2, (Intermediate), and Level 3 (Slipper Conditions) - the S-KTRC system allows for a fast, smooth, and powerful ride on any condition imaginable.
That’s why the 2012 ZX-10R is considered as being in a class of its own.
Find out more about the Yamaha ZX-10R after the jump.
- Design is compact, narrow and lightweight
- Camshafts, crankshaft and pistons designed to complement the engine’s prodigious power production
- Large intake valves, camshaft profiles and port shapes help maximize power production and smooth power delivery
- Chromoly camshafts enhance durability
- Single-shaft secondary balancer helps reduce vibration; its use allows several vibration-damping parts to be simplified and lightened
- Strong connecting rods suit the power potential of this engine
- ECU is small enough to be tucked away in a slot in the airbox assembly
- One-piece upper crankcase and cylinder casting offers maximum rigidity
- Low-friction oil pump reduces parasitic power loss
- A lightweight radiator with tightly packed cores provides efficient engine cooling
- A liquid-cooled aluminum oil cooler promotes high-efficiency heat dissipation
- Intake and exhaust valves are titanium to reduce reciprocating weight and stress at high rpm
- Aluminum-alloy frame offers optimal flex and rigidity characteristics for balanced handling on street or track
- Chassis geometry allows sharp steering characteristics and crisp handling with no corresponding tradeoff in chassis stability at speed
- Frame is an all-cast construction of only seven pieces, with ideal wall thicknesses that provide adequate strength and optimized rigidity
- Front end weight aids aggressive, on-the-gas corner exits
- Modifying or removing the exhaust pre-chamber (for racetrack applications only) enables two chain links to be removed, which offers riders the opportunity to alter chassis geometry by shortening the wheelbase by up to 16mm to suit different track layouts
- Like the frame, the alloy swingarm is an all-cast design, with just three pieces
- Narrow subframe layout contributes to the compact and slim tail section
- Shock and linkage are positioned above the swingarm
- The design offers excellent road-holding, smooth suspension action, and stability and feedback when cornering
- The design positions the shock’s upper link to spread out the load and contribute to enhanced overall frame rigidity and chassis balance
- The fully adjustable shock features a piggyback reservoir and dual (high
- and low-speed) compression damping, which enables fine tuning for racing or track-day use
- The Big Piston Fork (BPF) and Back-link suspension system contribute to rider control and faster lap times
- Instruments feature a high-visibility bar-graph LED tachometer positioned above a multi-window LCD info panel that offers riders a massive quantity of information
- The tachometer also functions as a shift indicator: LEDs flash when the pre-set rpm is reached, and riders can set shift rpm according to preference
- The multi-function LCD features two display modes: Standard and Race. Switching to Race Mode alters the Speed display by changing it to Gear Position, and by changing the Clock display to Speed
- Additional functions include odometer, dual trip meters, average fuel consumption, instant fuel consumption, Power Mode (x3), S-KTRC (x4), S-KTRC level indicator, low fuel indicator, Economical Riding indicator (shows most favorable fuel consumption), water temperature and a host of indicator lamps.
|Engine||Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four|
|Bore x Stroke||76.0 x 55.0 mm|
|Fuel System||DFI® with four 47mm Keihin throttle bodies with oval sub-throttles, two injectors per cylinder|
|Ignition||TCBI with digital advance and Sport-Kawasaki Traction Control (S-KTRC)|
|Rake/Trail||25 Deg / 4.2 in.|
|Front Tire Size||120/70 ZR17|
|Rear Tire Size||190/55 ZR17|
|Front Suspension / wheel travel||43mm inverted Big Piston Fork (BPF), adjustable rebound and compression damping, spring preload adjustability / 4.7 in.|
|Rear Suspension / wheel travel||Horizontal back-link with gas-charged shock, stepless, dual-range (low-/high-speed) compression damping, stepless rebound damping, fully adjustable spring preload / 5.5 in.|
|Front Brakes||Kawasaki Intelligent anti-lock Braking (KIBS), dual semi-floating 310mm petal discs with dual four-piston radial-mount calipers|
|Rear Brakes||KIBS-controlled, single 220mm petal disc with aluminum single-piston caliper|
|Fuel Capacity||4.5 gal.|
|Seat Height||32.0 in.|
|Overall length||81.7 in.|
|Overall width||28.2 in.|
|Overall height||43.9 in.|
Power Specs----"2012 Kawasaki ZX-10R is a luxury motorsport that has engine specs and high technology. 2012 Kawasaki ZX-10R has a specs that reportedly may not be much different from the specs of the ZX-10R made"