The 2012 Kawasaki Teryx4 750 comes with a comprehensive list of new technologies that help it reward its driver and passengers with a fun and enjoyable journey.
One of the most important upgrades is the addition of 2 extra seats that make the RUV significantly more practical as now it can transport up to 4 passengers. There is also offered a rigid protective cage that was carefully forged to keep all 4 passengers safe on tough terrains.
Compared to the previous generation, the 2012 Teryx4 750 is a completely new machine that apart from the two extra seats it also comes with an all-new chassis and an improved V-twin engine that rewards you with slightly more power than the old unit.
It is also worthy of being mentioned that the RUV features a Double-X frame design with two X-shaped cross members bridging the box structures from corner to corner.
Hit the jump for more information on the Kawasaki Teryx4 750 4x4.
All the Performance, Style, Function and Fun You Expect from a Teryx 750 4x4 – with Room for Four!
Twice as much of a good thing is always better, right? Absolutely. So you knew Kawasaki would eventually double the Teryx’s substantial fun and function factor by adding two seats – enough for more friends, extra help or the whole family.
The result is the all-new 2012 Teryx4™ 750 4x4 – a top-of-the-line four-seat RUV with truly amazing capabilities.
Of course, Kawasaki didn’t just bolt two extra seats to the Teryx 750’s chassis and call it a day. Engineers figured out exactly what was needed to do the four-seat Rec/Utility concept right, redesigning the entire machine from tip to tail with an all-new chassis and a thoroughly reworked V-twin engine pumping out extra power for the additional load the Teryx4 will gladly carry.
The foundation of any top-tier RUV four-wheeler – especially one with four seats and significant carrying capacity – is its frame, so Kawasaki engineers used detailed computer analysis and loads of off-road testing when developing the Teryx4’s all-new square-tube steel frame. Unlike the more conventional designs found on many lighter-duty two-seat RUV models, the Teryx4 features a Double-X frame design with two X-shaped cross members bridging the box structures from corner to corner.
Like the frame, the Teryx4’s 749cc V-twin four-stroke engine is also new, offering 15 percent more power than the already stout unit in the 2-seat Teryx, along with all the durability to deal with the rigors of spirited fun in challenging off-road environments. The V-twin design is revered for its stump-pulling power and easy-to-harness flexibility, which makes it the perfect powerplant for a machine like the Teryx4, which thrives on instantaneous and controllable low- and mid-range response partnered with eye-opening hauling ability. In fact, engineers purposely gave the big Vee a bit of a dual personality: there’s exciting, arm-straightening yank when ridden solo or with a single passenger, but plenty of torque and grunt for carrying more people or heavier loads – much of it due to revised camshaft profiles and equal-length exhaust headers.
Liquid cooling – assisted by a large-volume radiator and large-diameter fan – keeps temperatures down and reliability up with help from an array of superb engineering: optimized piston-wall thickness; special surface treatments to piston pins, small and big end bearing surfaces; idealized crank journal bearing sizes; robust transmission design; and much more.
Electronic fuel injection – featuring new fine-atomizing 12-hole injectors – offers easy starts and perfect throttle response at sea level and at the higher elevations you’ll want to discover again and again. The FI system offers automatic mixture compensation, automatic idle adjustment and easy, choke-free starting via a sophisticated array of sensors for inlet air pressure, throttle position, crankshaft position, rpm and coolant temperature.
- Teryx4’s perfectly balanced liquid-cooled, 749cc SOHC, four-valve-per-cylinder fuel-injected, 90-degree V-twin engine pumps out substantial power, especially in the low
- and mid-range, precisely where a four-seat RUV needs it
- Peak power has also been raised in addition to the focus on low
- and mid-range grunt
- Oversquare (85 x 66mm) engine dimensions and high-flow four-valve cylinder heads contribute to the Teryx’s superb acceleration, low
- and mid-range pulling power and overall engine flexibility
- 90-degree V-twin configuration offers perfect primary balance, resulting in low engine vibration and maximum comfort for driver and passengers
- Transmission design features a shift-drum/shift-fork assembly for improved operation and durability, along with a centrifugal wet clutch in place of the previous belted design for improved operation
- Aluminum cylinders are electrofusion-plated for light weight and excellent heat dispersion – all of which add durability and reliability
- Valve timing, lift and ignition timing have all been optimized; along with a revised exhaust system, the new powerplant pumps out ideal power for a four-person RUV
- Piston wall thickness, connecting rod bearing surfaces and crank journal surfaces have all been upgraded for added durability
- Engine can be started in gear as long as the brake pedal is depressed
- Engine is positioned mid-ship, providing optimum front/rear balance and optimal handling
- A heavy-duty liquid cooling system keeps temperatures under control in the harshest conditions, and provides long-term dependability
- Large-capacity radiator is compact and placed high in the chassis for protection against mud and debris, while a large cooling fan increases cooling capacity, especially during slower going
- Engine weight is reduced via numerous advanced technologies, including lightened crank webs, rare earth magnet usage, a small generator, and paring excess material wherever possible
- An ignition cut-out protects the brake system by preventing riding with the parking brake engaged
- Large-diameter cooling-system hoses maximize coolant flow and overall capacity, while the coolant reservoir is located beneath the flip-up front cover for easy maintenance
- High-performance preload adjustable gas-charged Kayaba shocks up front provide excellent fade-resistant damping performance in the toughest conditions while providing 7.8 inches of plush, controlled wheel travel
- Independent rear suspension with fully adjustable piggyback-reservoir shocks provides 8.3 inches of wheel travel and the best possible performance and handling at high speeds
- The piggyback reservoirs on the rear shocks help reduce oil frothing under hard conditions by keeping the shocks cooler under strain
- A rear torsion bar helps minimize body roll, maximizing chassis performance
- All-new model for 2012
- Room for four means twice the personal payload and twice the fun. And with the rear seats mounted higher than those in front, rear-seat passengers have a better view forward – and have an easier time getting in and out
- Perfectly balanced 749cc V-twin engine with digital fuel injection offers more power, especially in the low and mid range, exactly where a four-seat RUV needs it
- All-new Double-X frame design offers rigidity and durability for the Teryx4’s extra weight and higher carrying capacity
- All-new bodywork package offers good looks and extreme durability for the long haul, with scratch-resistant material used throughout
- Sport-focused suspension front and rear offers an ideal compromise between sporty control and superb ride comfort
- Roomy interior lets driver and passengers stretch out, while ample cargo space means you can take along plenty of supplies and gear
- Short wheelbase versus the competition allows a short 16.7-foot turning radius (handy in tight situations) and the ability to climb over obstacles that would ground longer and lower vehicles
- Superb off-road ability, including high-grade Maxxis Bighorn 26-inch tires on 12-inch rims, 10.8 inches of ground clearance, a 17-degree break-over angle, and 23.6-inch water fording depth
- Continuously variable transmission (CVT) and category-first centrifugal clutch offer sporty performance and the slow-speed throttle precision needed in tricky or slow-speed conditions
- Electronic three-mode 4WD is controlled by a handy cockpit switch and allows instantaneous changes from 2WD to 4WD and 4WD with differential lock for maximum traction situations
- Dual 200mm front discs and a sealed multi-plate rear brake system help provide stopping power
- Convenience features include standard colored doors, auto-style parking brake, roomy cargo area with four tie-down loops, full instrumentation, hand-holds, two-tone seats, over fenders for mud protection, opening front hood for easy maintenance and much more
- Multi-function instrumentation offers the driver a host of important information, including speed, hour meter, fuel level and much more
|Engine||Liquid-cooled, 90-degree, four-stroke V-twin|
|Valve system||SOHC, four valves per cylinder|
|Bore x stroke||85 x 66mm|
|Fuel system||DFI®, 2 x Mikuni 36mm throttle bodies|
|Ignition||TCBI w/ electronic advance|
|Transmission||Continuously variable belt-drive transmission with high and low range, plus reverse and wet centrifugal clutch|
|Final drive||Selectable four-wheel drive with locking Front Differential, shaft|
|Frame||Double-X reinforced design using large-diameter, thin-walled, high-tensile tubular steel|
|Front suspension / wheel travel||Dual A-arm with preload adjustable gas charged shocks / 7.8 in.|
|Rear suspension / wheel travel||Adjustable Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) with fully adjustable, gas charged, reservoir shocks / 8.3 in.|
|Front tires||Maxxis 26x9-12|
|Rear tires||Maxxis 26x11-12|
|Front brakes||Dual hydraulic discs with 2-piston calipers|
|Rear brake||Sealed, oil-bathed, multi-disc|
|Overall length||125.2 in.|
|Overall width||62.0 in.|
|Overall height||77.3 in.|
|Ground clearance||10.8 in.|
|Lighting||(2) 35W headlights, (2) 8 W taillight, 24 W stoplight|
|Cargo bed capacity||249 lbs., 47.6 W x 17.9 L x 8.7 in. H|
|Towing capacity||1,300 lbs.|
|Curb weight||1,616 lbs.|
|Fuel capacity||7.9 gal.|
|Instruments||Multi-function digital meter with speedometer, fuel gauge, clock hour meter, odometer, dual trip meter and parking brake, CVT belt, R/N/P/4WD, water temp and oil pressure indicators|
|Color||Sunbeam Red, Scout Green|
Motorcycle USA----"Kawasaki installed the latest drive-train technology with a Continuously Variable Transmission. Since part of what allows the Teryx4 to operate effectively under maximum load is its clutch, a centrifugal clutch assembly was installed for the first time in its class to offer precision handling during slow-speed maneuvering. In terms of durability, the oil-bathed clutch design also significantly boosts the lifespan of the CVT belt. The transmission also features instant-switch access to 2WD, 4WD and 4WD+Front Differential Lock, with a dash-mounted switch giving drivers instant control."