Put your helmet on, jump on the saddle and grab the gorgeous handlebars. As you fire up the engine you start to hear its mighty roar filling your ears and then a rush of blood starts pumping through your heart making you feel like the king of the road. This is exactly how the Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic makes you feel.
Its four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, 52-degree V-twin engine doesn’t reward you only with a spectacular sound, but is also one of the most powerful units in its class, developing a maximum torque of 108 lb.ft at 2250 rpm.
Then, there is the bad-boy design language which has all it needs to take your breath away. The slightly raised handlebar, the custom looking fuel tank and refined saddle are combined with a set of front 130/90x16and rear 170/70x16 tires mounted on classy 16 inch wheels.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic.
The system utilizes an Accelerator Position Sensor (APS) and a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), which feed data to the ECU that adjusts the throttle plates to tailor intake airflow accordingly. The system offers a natural throttle feel because the APS is activated by a throttle body pulley connected by cables to the throttle grip. The 1700 Classic’s fuel injection uses one sensor in place of the usual three for simplicity and weight savings. Besides the obvious advantages of fuel injection, such as improved fuel economy and automatic altitude mixture adjustment, the system also permits easy hands-off warm-up and idle speed control. This cruising-oriented machine features FI and exhaust tuning optimized to deliver peak torque at a lower rpm – ideal for urban or backroad environments.
A quiet and smooth six-speed transmission features overdriven fifth and sixth gears that contribute to more relaxed riding and better fuel economy at highway speeds. The Vulcan 1700 Classic transfers power from the transmission to the rear wheel through a narrow carbon fiber final drive belt with 40-percent higher tensile strength than a Kevlar unit of the same width.
Designed to be as light and slim as possible, the Classic’s single backbone double cradle frame offers a short seat-to-steering head distance, with a correspondingly short wheelbase. That easy-reach handlebar facilitates slow-speed maneuvering and helps maximize rider confidence. Adding to the light and easy handling are suspension components matched to the Vulcan 1700 Classic’s intended mission. An elegantly simple rear swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks provides 3.1 inches of rear suspension travel, and features air spring preload and four-way rebound adjustment. Up front, a large 43mm fork offers precise steering feedback, a supple ride and 5.5 inches of travel.
The Vulcan 1700 Classic rolls on nine-spoke cast wheels that run fat, tubeless tires – 130/90 front and 170/70 rear – that complement its muscular styling. Dual 300mm front disc brakes featuring twin-piston calipers and a single 300mm rear disc brake with a two-piston caliper help bring this stylish machine to steady, powerful stops.
Packed with technology and blessed with the sort of jaw-dropping looks that’ll keep you the envy of your riding buddies, the Vulcan 1700 Classic is the perfect cruising package. Just try not to drool on it.
- Liquid cooled, four valves per cylinder, fuel-injected 1,700cc 52-degree V-twin engine
- Long-stroke 102 x 104mm bore and stroke dimensions help deliver massive torque and distinctive V-twin feel
- Valve system uses a single overhead cam arrangement instead of pushrods for quick revability and enhanced mid
- to high-rpm power
- Semi-dry sump allows low crankshaft placement and long stroke without increasing engine height
- Single-pin crank accentuates the engine’s V-twin character by providing strong power pulses
- Large capacity airbox is located on both sides of the engine
- Small-diameter iridium sparkplugs reach deep into the combustion chamber for high combustion efficiency, especially during low-load operation
- Dual staggered mufflers offer a rich sound and stylish appearance
- Engine tuning offers superior acceleration in the 50 to 70 mph range
- Even in overdrive, the engine pulls strongly, facilitating overtaking at highway speed
- Compact frame features a shorter wheelbase and short distance between the seat and steering head for an ideal ergonomic layout and easy maneuverability
- Light and as slim as possible, the frame minimizes the number of forged parts and trims any unnecessary metal. The only forged parts are areas that require additional strength – the down-tube joint, engine brackets, side-stand bracket, and rear fender/shock absorber bracket
- The compact design contributes to light handling and facilitates maneuverability at low speeds, especially when executing precise slow-speed maneuvers like parking or making U-turns
- Air-adjustable spring preload can be tuned to match varying rider and passenger loads
- 4-way rebound damping adjustments help the shocks compensate for changes in spring pressure
- Chromed shock covers contribute to the bike’s luxurious finish
- Liquid-cooled 1,700cc V-twin engine produces massive torque
- Fuel injection system optimized for power in the low
- to mid-rpm range
- Compact frame for easy maneuverability and handling
- Electronic throttle valve system helps produce smooth power
- Adjustable rear suspension
- 9-spoke cast wheels add to the classic V-twin look and feel
- Instrumentation includes digital LCD screen that displays a wealth of information
|Engine||Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valves per cylinder, 52-degree V-twin|
|Displacement||1,700cc / 103.7ci|
|Bore x Stroke||102 x 104mm|
|Maximum Torque||108 lb-ft @ 2250|
|Cooling System||Liquid, plus cooling fins|
|Induction||Digital fuel injection, dual 42mm throttle bodies|
|Ignition||TCBI with Digital Advance|
|Transmission||Six-speed with overdrive and positive neutral finder|
|Frame Type||Steel, double-cradle with box-section single-tube backbone|
|Rake/Trail||30° / 6.7 in.|
|Front Suspension / wheel travel||43mm hydraulic fork / 5.5 in.|
|Rear Suspension / wheel travel||Swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks, with 4-way rebound damping / 3.1 in.|
|Front Tire Size||130/90x16|
|Rear Tire Size||170/70x16|
|Brakes, front / rear||Dual 300 mm discs, dual twin-piston calipers / Single 300 mm disc, twin-piston caliper|
|Overall length||98.4 in.|
|Overall width||40.4 in.|
|Overall height||45.5 in.|
|Ground clearance||5.1 in.|
|Seat height||28.3 in.|
|Curb weight||761 lbs.|
|Fuel capacity||5.3 gal.|
Motorcycle USA----"The Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic produces smooth power from the 1700cc V-twin engine with the electric throttle valve system. Functioning with a mighty ECU and a smooth fuel injection system, the electronic throttle valve improves response without detracting from the engine’s unique V-twin feel, delivering ultra-precise intake flow to the engine under nearly any circumstances."