The old motorcycles continue to inspire today’s designers and one of the models that offers a perfect blend of classic and contemporary lines is the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom.
As far as styling goes, the 2012 Vulcan 900 Custom features a flat handlebar, forward footpegs and stylish cast wheels, including a solid-look rear wheel. Moreover, the motorcycle also comes with the 180-series rear tire which is the largest in its class.
The Vulcan 900 Custom is not only a shiny good looking motorcycle. It’s also packed with one of the most capable engines in its class, a fuel-injected 903cc unit that cranks out 58.2 lb.-ft. @ 3,500 rpm and is paired with a five speed gearbox. Though, the really good news is that the 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom is offered at a pretty affordable price tag ($8,309).
Hit the jump for more information on the 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom.
Perhaps one of the most striking examples of this Vulcan cruiser’s distinctive look is its large-diameter 21-inch front cast wheel – itself somewhat rare in the custom-building world. The wheel features spokes arranged in pairs for a special visual appeal. Balancing the lightweight look of the front end is a low, wide rear wheel featuring a 180mm tire on a 15-inch cast wheel that gives the rider the feeling of sitting on a one-of-a-kind, made-to-order motorcycle.
Bridging the visual contrast between the front and rear wheels is a sleek and subtle fuel tank. Its flowing lines easily lead the eye along the careful and delicate curves that blend together the highly customized form of this gem of mid-sized cruisers. A matte black frame provides an understated framework for the Kawasaki artistry that is the appealing and gutsy, fuel-injected V-Twin Vulcan 900 Custom. Its stylish aesthetics grace a platform that’s perfect for customization with Kawasaki accessories.
Ready for anything from local streets to highway speeds, the Vulcan 900 Custom’s good power, excellent stability, easy maneuverability, and startling good looks make this Kawasaki the one to own.
Want an even more exclusive ride? Then the “Special Edition” model may satisfy that craving. The Vulcan 900 Custom SE comes with all the trappings of an expensive handmade creation for a fraction of the cost and none of the maintenance headaches. It features a special black-out treatment on the air cleaner, engine cases, and exhaust. To go along with the special black-out treatment, this year’s Special Edition features solid black wheels. The 2012 Vulcan 900 Custom SE is finished off with a Special Edition Candy Sparking Orange paint scheme with a tribal pinstripe graphic on the tank and rear fender.
- Smooth and reliable engine tuned to deliver a healthy dose of torque at low rpm
- Gear-driven balancer allows the use of a single-pin crankshaft without excessive vibration
- Rubber mounted to reduce engine vibration at all speeds
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow, creating more power and low-end torque
- Single overhead cam design is simple, lightweight and practical
- Long intake tracts narrow near the combustion chamber to increase intake flow speed for more efficient filling, increased torque and better low-end response
- Chromed headlamp, headlamp mount, lower triple clamp and turn signals as well as footpegs, shift lever and rear brake lever
- Clean headlight design is compact and isolated without a central fork cover or headlamp bar
- Small, minimalist fender and lack of front fork covers also contribute to the slender appearance of the front end
- Sporty, straight-style handlebar adds to the bike’s custom styling. Instead of handlebar clamps, twin tubes elegantly curve back from the upper triple clamp. Both the handlebar and twin tubes are completely chromed
- Forward-mounted footpegs instead of floorboards add to the custom image and improve rider control
- One-piece “gunfighter” style seat is designed for comfortable rider and passenger accommodation and a custom-style look
- Matte black frame emphasizes the chrome finishing
- Standard toe-operated shift lever instead of a heel-toe shifter complements the forward footpegs for a more open rider position
- 903cc liquid-cooled V-twin offers the optimal balance of performance and maneuverability
- Stylish cast wheels – solid-look rear and “twin-spoke” front
- Forward-mounted foot controls for laid-back riding position
- Fat 180-series rear tire is largest in class
- Stylish instrumentation includes convenient fuel gauge
- 5.3-gallon fuel tank is largest in class
- Efficient and stylish belt drive for long life
- Digital fuel injection for precise throttle response and improved fuel economy
|Engine||Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valves per cylinder V-twin|
|Displacement||903cc / 55.1 cu. in.|
|Bore x Stroke||88 x 74.2 mm|
|Maximum Torque||58.2 lb.-ft. @ 3,500 rpm|
|Fuel System||DFI® with dual 34mm Keihin throttle bodies (2)|
|Ignition||TCBI with Electronic Advance|
|Frame||Double cradle, high-tensile steel|
|Front Suspension / Wheel Travel||41mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 5.9 in.|
|Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel||Uni-Trak® swingarm, 7-way adjustable spring preload / 4.1 in.|
|Front Tire Size||80/90x21|
|Rear Tire Size||180/70x15|
|Front Brakes / Rear Brakes||300mm hydraulic disc / 270mm hydraulic disc|
|Fuel Capacity||5.3 gal.|
|Seat Height||27.0 in.|
|Overall Length||94.7 in.|
|Overall Width||35.2 in.|
|Overall Height||44.1 in.|
|Curb Weight||610.8 lbs.|
|Color Choices||Pearl Purplish Black Mica / Candy Sparkling Orange|
Ultimate MotorCycling----"From the cast 21-inch front wheel and rear 15-inch wheel with 180mm rear tire, the largest in its class, to the flat handlebars and forward footpegs, the 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom has that aggressive style bring motorcyclists back to the early days of customized motorcycles."