If you’re sick and tired of the not-so-comfortable sport bikes and you’re searching for a bike that offers a higher level of comfort without compromising all the fun, you should take a closer look at the Kawasaki KLR 650. Thanks to its split personality, the Kawasaki KLR 650 feels comfortable around town but also on the savage, muddy terrains. It’s tough, but flexible character helped the KLR 650 gain a pretty good reputation in the dual sports segment.
The bike is powered by a liquid-cooled DOHC 651cc engine which is easy to control across the power band and smoother than expected. Needles to say, that the wide power band and the smart gear ratios will help you deal well with both low and high speed driving.
The stopping power is assured by a dual-piston caliper gripping a 280mm petal-style disc in the front, and a 240mm petal-style disc squeezed by a single-piston caliper in the rear.
Hit the jump for more information on the Kawasaki KLR 650.
For the better part of the last decade, the KLR™650 has sat atop the industry sales charts in the dual-sport category, and for many very good reasons. Designed to be the adventurer’s tool of choice, this rugged motorcycle delivers fuel efficiency, cargo-carrying capabilities, effective wind protection and unbelievable value, so that adventurous riders need only pick their course and hit the road, or dirt, as the case may be.
A single-cylinder, 651cc four-stroke engine propels this globe-trotting explorer. Its healthy low-end grunt and easy to modulate throttle provide the perfect power profile to maximize traction, carve through trails or deal with rush-hour traffic jams.
Matching the engine’s abilities every step of the way is the KLR650’s suspension. A 41mm fork with 7.9 inches of suspension travel up front, and a Uni-Trak® linkage system providing 7.3 inches of wheel travel in the rear combine to make the KLR650 a fun, functional commuter during the week and an adept backroad blaster on weekends.
Braking duties are handled by a dual-piston caliper gripping a 280mm petal-style disc in the front, and a 240mm petal-style disc squeezed by a single-piston caliper in the rear. This suspension and brake package boosts the KLR650’s on-road performance without diminishing its versatile off-road capabilities.
An expansive, saddlebag-friendly, rear luggage rack that can be fitted with a tail bag helps to make the KLR650 a worthy touring companion. A large, 5.8-gallon fuel tank and exemplary fuel economy mean the KLR650 can cover an amazing amount of ground between fill-ups.
That fuel range can translate into a long day in the saddle, so good wind protection is a must. This important job is handled by the frame-mounted bodywork, which includes a tall windscreen and large shrouds. Rider comfort is enhanced further by the seat design and plush urethane foam. A high-capacity 36-watt alternator pumps out enough juice for a high-output headlight and has the extra capacity to power the add-on electronic gadgets that no touring rider can live without.
The KLR650’s competent on-road performance continues once the pavement stops. A tough engine guard keeps loose rocks and gravel at bay, while its U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor grants the KLR650 access to any terrain open to licensed vehicles. Add the optional Kawasaki tank, tail and saddlebags, and you have a recipe for long-distance exploration, beckoning KLR650 owners to enjoy on- and off-road adventures.
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
- Ultimate on
- and off-road motorcycle is the best-selling dual-sport seven years in a row
- Durable 651cc single-cylinder engine produces smooth, user-friendly power
- Comfortable wind protection and 5.8-gallon fuel tank allows for long-range adventure touring
- Aluminum rear cargo rack provides plenty of space for luggage
- 41mm telescopic fork supplies all-day rider comfort
- Adjustable Uni-Trak® rear suspension offers a smooth, controlled ride
- Twin-piston front disc brake and single-piston rear disc brake furnish excellent stopping power
Long Sitance Minded 651cc Four-Stroke Single
- Cam timing and tuning combination aid in producing a broad, user-friendly powerband
- Smooth bends on the one-piece exhaust pipe permit exhaust efficiency at all rpm
- Light, silent cam chain contributes to a quieter engine
- Double engine balancer helps engine run smoothly from idle to redline for less fatigue on long rides
- Advanced piston ring design helps minimize oil consumption
- Oil-level window permits easy and accurate inspection
Four-Valve Cylinder Head
- Compact combustion chamber allows increased compression ratio with less detonation yet provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
- Boosts low-end torque with sufficient power at all rpm
- Secondary air (ASV) system helps reduce harmful exhaust emissions
- Thin and lightweight Denso radiator fitted with a lightweight and thin cooling fan for maximum cooling efficiency, even at low speeds
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
- Allows tighter engine clearances for quieter running
- Includes a temperature gauge
Fully Transistorized Ignition
- Fully transistorized ignition unit more precisely controls timing no matter how fast the rpm changes
- Long, trouble-free lifespan
- Easy and convenient starting
- Convenient location makes starting and warm-up easier
- The engine’s broad torque curve means only five speeds are needed for off-road sprinting and relaxed highway cruising
- O-ring drive chain for reduced maintenance and long chain service life
- Beefy, 41mm front fork with 7.9 inches of travel is rigid and plush enough to tackle on
- and off-road terrain and provide all-day comfort to the rider
- High-mounted front fender for any adventure-touring situation
- Rear Uni-Trak® suspension features a five-way preload shock absorber with four-way rebound damping and 7.3 inches of rear wheel travel
- Progressive rate provides a smooth, controlled ride
- D-section swingarm contributes to the bike’s excellent traction
- 4mm spokes provide wheel stiffness, further enhancing handling performance and improving steering response
- Semi-double cradle frame made of high-tech, round-section, high-tensile steel
- Detachable rear subframe provides access to the rear shock, airbox and carburetor for easy maintenance
- Large rear cargo rack included
- Protects engine from rocks and trail debris when the going gets tough
Front And Rear Dics Brakes
- Lightweight 280mm front and 240mm rear petal-style discs offer excellent braking
- Dual-bulb headlamp offers great night illumination
- Tail light, parking light and the high-mounted turn signals improve the KLR650’s visibility at night or in poor visibility conditions
Large 5.8-Gallon Fuel Tank
- Generous capacity permits serious adventure touring
Additional Comfort and touring Features
- Bodywork includes a large fairing for great wind protection
- Alternator output is 17 amps, with a total capacity of 36 watts to provide ample power for the headlight as well as add-on grip heaters and other accessories
- Easy-to-read instrument panel is mounted to the frame and includes a large-face speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip meter and water temperature gauge
- Urethane seat foam offers all-day comfort for long-distance riding
- Optional extended warranty
|Engine||Four-stroke, DOHC, four-valve single|
|Bore x Stroke||100.0 x 83.0mm|
|Frame Type||Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel|
|Rake/Trail||28 degrees / 4.4 in.|
|Front suspension / wheel travel||41mm telescopic fork / 7.9 in.|
|Rear suspension / wheel travel||Uni-Trak® single-shock system with 5-way preload and stepless rebound damping / 7.3 in.|
|Front Tire Size||90/90x21|
|Rear Tire Size||130/80x17|
|Front brakes / rear brakes||Single 280mm petal-type disc, two-piston caliper / Single 240mm disc, single-piston caliper|
|Overall length||90.4 in.|
|Overall width||37.8 in.|
|Overall height||53.1 in.|
|Ground clearance||8.3 in.|
|Seat height||35.0 in.|
|Curb weight||432 lbs.|
|Fuel capacity||6.1 gal.|
|Color Choices||Ebony, Pearl Solar Yellow, Candy Lime Green/Ebony|
|Good Times™ Protection Plan||12, 24, 36 or 48 months|