The 2013 Kawasaki Mule 4000 is a tough and reliable vehicle, equipped with a series of new technologies which help you deal effortless even with the toughest jobs.
The vehicle’s go anywhere ability is offered by its heavy-duty chassis and the capable industrial grade four-stroke V-twin engine with digital fuel injection. The engine has a capacity of 617 cc, is managed by a digital Electronic Control Unit and offers a governed top speed of 25 mph.
The engine is mounted on a heavy-duty ladder type frame which sits on DeDion type rear leaf-spring suspension.
The 2013 Kawasaki Mule 4000 is also fitted with a new strong tubular steel front brush guard designed to protect the nose from minor impacts, while the cab is protected by a steel roll over structure.
Other new features offered for 2013 include a digital fuel gauge and hour meter, a new dash-mounted horn button, a sportier steering wheel and a new 2” hitch receiver hitch that enables towing of up to 1,200 lbs.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2013 Kawasaki Mule 4000.
Kawasaki Mule 4000
Unmatched Strength, Usability and Value
The Kawasaki Mule™ 4000 is ready to work. As the foundation of Kawasaki’s full-sized 4000 series utility line, it offers all the hardware and technology you need to tackle really big jobs, including a heavy-duty chassis and a powerful industrial grade four-stroke V-twin engine with digital fuel injection. The Mule 4000 also offers serious towing capacity, a fully automatic transmission, locking rear differential and a tilting cargo bed.
For 2013, a new strong tubular steel front brush guard improves durability and helps protect the nose from trail debris and minor impacts. Other new features include an easy to read digital fuel gauge and hour meter, a new dash-mounted horn button that eliminates unintended honking while turning, a new sport-style steering wheel that’s 33% thicker and covered in softer material for enhanced comfort, and a new 2” hitch receiver hitch that enables towing of up to 1,200 lbs.
Power is key in this class of machine, and the Mule 4000 has plenty. Its industrial strength liquid-cooled 617cc four-stroke V-twin is managed by a digital Electronic Control Unit (ECU) and features a fuel injection system that compensates for variations in atmospheric pressure, engine and air temperature. The result is smooth and consistent power, easy starting, crisp throttle response and precise fuel metering, which helps reduce fuel consumption and lower emissions. The ECU incorporates an automatic fast idle speed control that activates when the engine is cold, eliminating the need for a manual choke. The electronics also regulate maximum engine speed, so there’s no need for a mechanical governor.
To make the going easy, the Mule 4000 features a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that provides quick acceleration and efficient pulling power. A dependable and low-maintenance shaft drive system transfers power to a dual-mode differential that can be locked to maximize rear wheel traction, or unlocked to improve handling and minimize ground disturbance when negotiating tight turns.
Like its accurate, light-steering rack-and-pinion system, the Mule 4000’s easy-to-operate controls are highly user friendly and positioned to maximize comfort and convenience. The gear selector is located on the dash within easy reach and the headlights are activated by a simple push-button switch. Instrumentation includes an easy-to-see coolant temperature warning light, a digital fuel gauge and hour meter, and dash-mounted horn. The convenient air restriction gauge indicates when the Mule 4000’s air filter needs cleaning or replacement. Located beneath the seat, the fuse box and oil dipstick are easily accessed, making maintenance chores a cinch.
The Mule 4000’s roomy and comfortable cab is surrounded by the large-diameter steel tube frame structure. With its modern and rugged bodywork, the Mule 4000 is a natural in tough work environments. Its body panels are manufactured from durable, color-molded plastic that helps hide minor scuffs and scratches. The front hood can be opened with the pull of a dash-mounted knob and allows access to a deep storage space equipped with convenient D-rings to help secure cargo. Additionally, two levers make opening and closing the tailgate a secure and easy process.
The convenience factor on the Mule 4000 extends beyond easy-access latches or controls; it can also boast of owner-friendly features such as the winch-ready tabs located under the front grille, which greatly simplify the winch mounting process.
The Mule 4000 chassis is based around a heavy-duty ladder-type frame riding on a DeDion type rear leaf-spring suspension designed to carry heavy loads yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo bed is empty. The cab on the Mule 4000 is surrounded by an extremely strong large-diameter steel Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) that meets SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.4, and 7.5 requirements for wheeled tractors, and also meets the FMVSS 216 roof crush resistance requirement.
MacPherson struts handle front suspension duties and provide a good balance of comfort and load capacity. Sealed, self-adjusting hydraulic drum brakes at all four wheels offer progressive stopping power, and large 23-inch tires at all four corners provide maximum traction for a variety of surfaces as well as a comfortable ride.
The Mule 4000 utility vehicle can carry 800 pounds in its steel cargo bed and tow up to 1,200 pounds with its standard 2” receiver hitch (when equipped with the optional draw bar.) Other popular accessories include an enclosed cab, cab heater, snow plow, and soft or hard tops. These and many other Genuine Kawasaki Accessories are available through authorized Kawasaki dealers.
At a glance
- New strong tubular steel front brush guard improves durability and helps protect the nose from trail debris and minor impacts
- New easy to read digital fuel gauge and hour meter
- New dash-mounted horn button eliminates unintended honking
- New sport-style steering wheel is covered in softer material and 33% thicker than last year’s model for enhanced comfort
- New 2” hitch receiver hitch allows towing of up to 1,200 lbs
- Digital fuel injected four-stroke V-twin engine
- Modern styling and low operating costs
- User friendly dashboard and controls
- Extremely strong large-diameter steel Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) meets SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.4, and 7.5 requirements for wheeled tractors, and also meets FMVSS 216 roof crush resistance requirement
Liquid-cooled, V-twin Engine
- Industrial strength four-stroke, 617cc V-twin engine produces exceptional torque at low engine speeds
- Modern four-stroke design with overhead valves for efficient running and good fuel economy
- Large capacity radiator and fan maintain consistent engine temperatures, even in hot climates
- Rubber engine mounts minimize vibration, noise and wear to maximize operation comfort and diminish fatigue
Digital Fuel Injection
- Computer-controlled Digital Fuel injection (DFI®) system automatically compensates for atmospheric pressure, air and engine temperature for easy, prompt engine starting under a variety of conditions
- Automatic fast idle speed control eliminates the need for a choke, allowing the operator to drive off immediately after a cold engine start
- Throttle bodies feature sub-throttle valves for optimum performance and drivability. The sub-throttles are located behind the main throttle valves and controlled by the ECU for smooth throttle response
- Automatic digital ignition system helps ensure smooth, efficient operation
- Maximum engine speed is controlled by the ECU, eliminating the need for a mechanical governor
- Offers easy engine operation and reduced maintenance requirements
Cab Frame Air Intake
- Draws engine air and converter cooling air from the top of the cab frame where there is less dust, so the air filter stays cleaner longer
Environmentally Friendly Emissions
- DFI precision reduces fuel consumption and cuts exhaust emissions
- Positive crankcase pressure ventilation system sends blow-by gases back through the intake tract to be burned by the engine
- Muffler features a U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor
Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS)
- Fully automatic continuously variable transmission (CVT) features forward and reverse, and helps keep the engine in the right operating rpm for a variety of vehicle speeds, loads or terrain
- The CVT has a wide spread of drive ratios for quick acceleration and ample pulling power
- An open sided drive pulley cools better for longer belt life
- Offers adjustable belt deflection
- Dual-mode rear differential can be locked for extra pulling power and maximum traction or unlocked for more nimble handling, or when traversing delicate terrain
Independent Strut-type Front Suspension
- MacPherson strut long-travel front suspension provides a comfortable ride and excellent load-carrying capability
- Firm springs help prevent bottoming and provide increased ground clearance
DeDion Rear Suspension
- Overload-style leaf springs can handle heavy loads, yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo box is empty
- Semi-independent action offers improved handling over traditional leaf spring layouts
Four-wheel, Self-adjusting Sealed Hydraulic Drum Brakes
- Four wheel brakes are self-adjusting
- The brake drums have an added flange and seal to resist mud and water contamination
- Low maintenance design
Wheels and Tires
- 23-inch tires with stiff sidewalls for extra ground clearance and an improved ride
- The rear wheel bearings use two rollers in one large bearing for added durability
- The wheel bearing seals on all four wheels have three lips for better protection
Front Hood with Storage Tub
- Offers quick, easy access with the pull of a dash-mounted knob
- Deeper under hood storage tub holds cargo out of sight
- Includes four D-rings for securing loads
Tilting Cargo Bed
- Steel cargo bed can carry up to 800 pounds
- Tilts for quick unloading
- Thick tailgate panel and secure locking pins reduce noise and vibration, add durability
- Adjustable bed latches
Rugged and Capable
- New 2” receiver hitch allows towing of up to 1,200 pounds with optional Kawasaki draw bar
- Durable bodywork features modern styling inspired by heavy-duty trucks
- New strong tubular steel front guard improves durability and helps protect the nose from brush, trail debris and minor impacts
- Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) meets SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.4, and 7.5 requirements for wheeled tractors, and also meets FMVSS 216 roof crush resistance requirement
- Durable chassis includes winch-ready mounts to simplify winch installation
- Oil dipstick and filler tube are located under the seat, for quick, easy access
- Cyclone-type engine air cleaner has flow meter to indicate when filter requires maintenance
- Convenient automotive-style fuse box uses easy-to-find blade-type fuses
- New digital fuel gauge and hour meter makes it easier to see how much fuel is in the tank
- New dash-mounted horn eliminates unintended honking while turning
- New sport-style steering wheel is 33% thicker than last year’s model
- Rack-and-pinion steering is light and precise
- Dashboard has dual glove boxes and cupholders for both the driver and passenger
- Comfortable bench seat can carry up to three occupants
- 12V DC outlet with 10 amp capacity
- Parking brake and coolant temperature warning lights are easier to see
- Push button headlight switch activates 35-watt cat-eye headlights
Popular Accessory Items
- Soft or Hard Top
- Enclosed Cab
- Snow Plow
|Engine||Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, overhead valve V-twin|
|Bore x Stroke||76 x 68mm|
|Compression ratio||10.3: 1|
|Carburetor||Digital Fuel Injection|
|Air filter||Snorkel-type with cyclone-type two-stage dry replaceable element|
|Oil filter||Automotive-type spin-on canister|
|Electrical||12V DC, 18 amp-hour battery, alternator|
|Transmission||Continuously variable transmission (CVT) with forward and reverse|
|Final drive||Shaft, dual-mode rear differential|
|Exhaust||Muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor|
|Front suspension / wheel travel||Independent, MacPherson strut / 3.9 in.|
|Rear suspension / wheel travel||Semi-independent, De Dion axle with leaf springs and shocks / 2.8 in.|
|Steering||Rack and pinion|
|Brakes||Four-wheel hydraulic drums, sealed|
|Fuel capacity||6.2 gal.|
|Curb Weight||1,312 lbs.|
|Overall length||118.3 in.|
|Overall width||62.0 in.|
|Overall height||75.8 in.|
|Ground clearance||7.5 in.|
|Roll over protective structure (ROPS)||This structure meets ROPS requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, and 7.5. This structure also meets FMVSS 216 Roof Crush resistance requirement|
|Cargo bed dimensions (LxWxH)||46.3 x 51.6 x 11.3 in. / 15.6 cu. ft.|
|Load capacity||1,330 lbs.|
|Cargo Bed Capacity||800 lbs.|
|Towing capacity||1,200 lbs.|
|Turning radius||11.0 ft.|
|Top speed||25 mph, governed|
|Instruments||Parking brake warning light, coolant temperature warning light, horn, 12V DC outlet, (2) 5/21-watt taillight, brake light, (2) 35-watt sealed-beam headlight|
|Color Choices||Dark Royal Red, Scout Green|
|Good Times™ Protection Plan||12, 24, 36 or 48 months|