From the moment you jump on the saddle of the Versys 650 Sport you are assaulted by a rush of adrenaline. This aggressive motorcycle was created for those who want a strong and versatile partner for their short or long journeys. Needless to say that thanks to its versatility, the Versys 650 Sport can join you in any adventure on two wheels.
Its power comes from a muscular four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder parallel twin engine with a displacement of 649cc. This beast is fed by a 5.0 gal. fuel tank and its power is controlled by a six speed transmission.
As far as ergonomics are concerned the Kawasaki Versys 650 Sport features an adjustable windscreen, a comfortable saddle, rubber bushings on the rear engine mounts and hollow rubber inserts atop the footpegs.
The Kawasaki Versys 650 Sport is offered with a 12 months warranty and has a starting price of $7,999.
Hit the jump for more information on the Kawasaki Versys 650 Sport.
A Well-Rounded Choice for Almost Any Ride
If versatility were a sport, the Kawasaki Versys® sportbike would be its champion. Gifted with calm manners and a comfortable riding position while commuting, a serious sporty attitude while carving in the canyons and the ability to urge you farther during a backroads tour, the Versys is a fitting companion for just about any adventure. It accomplishes it all thanks to superb engineering and a compact and efficient 649cc parallel-twin engine.
Aggressive styling complements the Versys’ dynamic flexibility and strengths, and an adjustable windscreen helps it to accommodate a wide variety of riders. To enhance its comfort during long days in the saddle, rubber bushings on the rear engine mounts and hollow rubber inserts atop the footpegs help to isolate the rider’s feet from engine vibration, resulting in a smoother, more relaxed ride.
The Versys’ compact, liquid-cooled, fuel-injected, 649cc, parallel-twin engine was the perfect powerplant for this light and nimble do-anything bike right from the start: it’s lively enough for advanced riders and predictable enough to inspire confidence in rank novices. The torquey twin delivers a deep ribbon of power in the lower and middle parts of its rev range, making the Versys a great commuter and relaxed traveling companion. Its surprising genius becomes readily apparent once the roads turn twisty, because despite its comfort and civility, the fun-to-ride Versys also offers genuine sportbike handling and excellent fuel economy. With its big, 5-gallon fuel tank, you can go a long way between fill-ups.
Long-travel high-tech suspension is critical to the Versys’ multi-role mission. A Showa rear shock with two-stage damping firms up progressively as the wheel moves through its stroke, providing an initially plush ride that firms to near-sportbike levels as suspension loads escalate. The bike’s short, compact engine makes it possible to use a longer than average gull-wing swingarm to reduce throttle-induced suspension movement and excellent handling. An adjustable, long-travel 41mm tapered-tube inverted fork soaks up bumps big and small, and like the rear end, firms up nicely as the pace increases.
Absolutely key to the Versys’ success is a comfortable, carefully designed cockpit that provides a mostly upright, natural seating position and features a stepped seat constructed to provide optimum comfort for both rider and passenger. The comfort theme is further enhanced by the adjustable windscreen, which offers three different positions. An easy-to-read and informative instrument panel allows riders to quickly scan the gauges and keep their eyes on the road. Possibly the most versatile motorcycle out there, the Versys excels at almost any task it’s given, from gridlock traffic jams to canyon carving to long-distance touring.
- Amazingly versatile motorcycle is exceptionally comfortable to ride in a variety of situations, from commuting, to backroads, touring and even track days
- 649cc parallel twin with digital fuel injection (DFI®) provides smooth, responsive power
- Long-travel fork delivers excellent performance over a wide range of situations
- Adjustable single-shock rear suspension offers progressive damping as suspension load increases
- 3-way adjustable windscreen allows customizable wind protection
- Aluminum swingarm and 17-inch cast aluminum wheels reduce unsprung weight for better ride quality
- Under-engine exhaust promotes better weight centralization
- Aggressive styling gives the Versys a distinctive look
649cc DOHC Parallel Twin-cylinder Engine
- The most compact engine in its category helps reduce the dimensions of the entire motorcycle
- Triangular crank and transmission shaft layout keeps it short front to back
- A semi-dry sump oil system reduces overall engine height
- The narrow, chrome composite-plated aluminum cylinders help reduce engine width
- Tuned to deliver smooth, responsive power in the low
- to mid-rpm range for exceptional roll-on response – ideal for negotiating city traffic, tight backroads and anything in between
- A 180-degree crankshaft and a balancer shaft produce a remarkably smooth engine
- Oil jets on the connecting rod ends spray oil on the undersides of the pistons to aid cooling
- An under-engine muffler with 3-way catalyzer aids mass centralization for light handling and great looks
- Engine temperatures stay consistent for long engine life and sustained power in tough conditions
- Closer engine tolerances mean more horsepower
- Coolant routed through the engine cases reduces the number of external hoses
Digital Fuel Injection (DFI®)
- A pair of 38mm Keihin throttle bodies with ECU-controlled sub-throttle valves mean optimum performance and rideability
- Sub-throttles, located behind the main throttle valves, give the Versys precise throttle response and great feel as well
- An automatic fast idle system makes starting and warm-up easy, even on cold days
- Precise fuel injection provides great fuel mileage, and the 3-way catalyzer significantly reduces emissions
- Versys’ racing-style cassette transmission uses a compact layout that’s easily removable as a single unit from the engine cases for much easier gearbox maintenance Slender Trellis Frame
- The Versys’ exotic-looking trellis frame is small, light and narrow at the knees and pegs for excellent comfort and control
- 3D computer analysis in the design process achieved optimum stiffness balance for superior ride and handling
Single Shock Rear Suspension
- A distinctive aluminum gull-wing swingarm controlled by a lay-down single shock complements the distinctive frame design, with an integrated line flowing from steering head to rear hub
- The short, compact frame and engine design allow the swingarm to be longer, which improves overall handling
- The Showa shock has adjustable preload and rebound damping, and uses a free piston and two-stage damping valves for smooth action during initial compression that becomes firmer near the end of the stroke for a more planted feel
Adjustable Long-travel Front Fork
- A long-travel 41mm inverted fork delivers excellent performance over a wide range of conditions
- Tapered, relatively short outer tubes help provide the ideal stiffness balance to complement frame stiffness and chassis settings
- Fork height, spring preload and rebound damping can be adjusted to fine-tune the suspension to specific conditions, riding styles and loads
Petal-style Brake Discs
- Dual 300mm petal-style discs with two-piston calipers in front and a single 220mm petal disc with a single-piston caliper in back provide plenty of stopping power
- Same rotor design as found on the Ninja® supersport machines; petal design rotors offer improved cooling and warp resistance compared to traditional discs
- Like the ones you’ll find on the Ninja ZX™-6R and ZX-10R, these six-spoke wheels use less material between spokes so rim thickness is reduced along with overall wheel weight
- Lighter wheels increase overall performance – suspension, handling, acceleration/deceleration and initial turn-in
Very Comfortable Ergonomics
- Each section of the two-piece seat was designed with a different thickness and firmness of foam to optimize comfort for both rider and passenger
- The passenger seat and grab bars were designed to provide a natural seating position for added comfort
- An easy-to-read instrument panel has a large analog tachometer and digital readout for the speedometer, fuel gauge, odometer, dual trip meters and clock. White LED backlighting provides increased visibility at night
- Passenger grab rails, seat cover material, and a comfortable seating position make the Versys fun for passengers
- Rubber bushings at the rear engine mounts and hollow rubber-covered footpegs result in reduced engine vibration and a more comfortable ride
- The fairing, stacked dual headlight, front fender and mirrors, and a Z1000-style LED tail light give the Versys a distinctly bold and high-tech appearance
- The windscreen provides a large still-air pocket for comfort, and its three-position adjustability makes it adaptable to fit a variety of riders and climates
|Engine||Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder parallel twin|
|Bore x Stroke||83.0 x 60.0 mm|
|Fuel System||Digital fuel injection with two 38mm Keihin throttle bodies|
|Ignition||TCBI with electronic advance|
|Final Drive||O-Ring Chain|
|Frame Type||Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel|
|Rake/Trail||25 degrees/4.3 in.|
|Front Tire Size||120/70-17|
|Rear Tire Size||160/60-17|
|Front Suspension / Wheel Travel||41mm hydraulic telescopic fork with stepless adjustable rebound and preload / 5.9 in.|
|Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel||Single offset laydown shock with 13-position adjustable rebound damping and adjustable spring preload / 5.7 in.|
|Front brakes||Dual 300mm petal discs with two-piston caliper|
|Rear brakes||Single 220mm petal disc with single-piston caliper|
|Fuel Capacity||5.0 gal.|
|Seat Height||33.3 in.|
|Curb Weight||454.2 lbs.|
|Overall Length||83.7 in.|
|Overall Width||33.1 in.|
|Overall Height||52.4 in.|
|Color(s)||Pearl Stardust White, Candy Thunder Blue/Metallic Spark Black|