- 4-stroke, V-Twin
- Digital fuel injection with dual 42 mm throttle bodies
- 1700 cc
The Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic is a comfortable cruiser equipped with a comprehensive list of modern features.
However, the motorcycle’s center piece is its four stroke, liquid cooled, SOHC, four valves per cylinder, 52-degree, V-twin engine which has a displacement of 1,700 cc. The engine rewards you with a peak torque of 108 lb-ft achieved at 2250 rpm and is mated on a six-speed transmission with overdrive and positive neutral finder.
The motorcycle’s speed is kept under control by dual 300 mm front and a single 300 mm rear disc which are squeezed by twin-piston calipers.
The Vulcan 1700 Classic sits on nine-spoke cast wheels that are shod in 130/90 front and 170/70 rear tubeless tires.
All elements are mounted on single backbone double cradle frame that offers a great rigidity at high speeds and a short wheelbase.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic.
Cruising is all about doing things in style and comfort, enjoying life’s little luxuries and taking the time to smell the roses. So settle in, head out on the highway and cruise ... Kawasaki-style.
Packed with Style, Thrumming with Power
The stunningly beautiful Vulcan® 1700 Classic cruiser evokes that certain feeling in riders: one that beckons you aboard with its gorgeous curves and drop-dead custom styling and says “let’s ride.” It’s beautiful from so many angles – from its raked front end to the fat rear fender complemented by a fat rear tire – exemplifying classic boulevard styling. And the deep paintwork, thick chrome and detail touches will rock your world the first time you lay eyeballs upon it.
But the jewel in the crown is the Classic’s advanced technology and staggering functionality, led by a 103.7-inch V-twin engine that throbs with power. This a big-inch cruiser with the type of top-shelf performance and reliability that totally backs up its bad-ass boulevard look.
Like its Vulcan 1700 brethren, the Classic’s V-twin dominates the proceedings with a thoroughly retro look as well as asphalt-wrinkling output. The heart of the matter is a pair of massive pistons moving within two liquid-cooled but beautifully finned cylinder blocks arrayed at 52 degrees for optimum balance and a distinct V-twin thump. Internal dimensions are thoroughly long-stroke – 102 x 104mm – for mammoth low- and mid-range power, exactly the sort of big-inch thrust and V-twin feel cruiser riders crave.
Working with a powerful ECU and a smart fuel injection system, the electronic throttle valve enhances response without detracting from the engine’s distinctive V-twin feel, delivering ultra-precise intake flow to the engine under nearly any conditions.
The system utilizes an Accelerator Position Sensor (APS) and a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), which feed data to the ECU that adjusts the throttle plates to tailor intake airflow accordingly. The system offers a natural throttle feel because the APS is activated by a throttle body pulley connected by cables to the throttle grip. The 1700 Classic’s fuel injection uses one sensor in place of the usual three for simplicity and weight savings. Besides the obvious advantages of fuel injection, such as improved fuel economy and automatic altitude mixture adjustment, the system also permits easy hands-off warm-up and idle speed control. This cruising-oriented machine features FI and exhaust tuning optimized to deliver peak torque at a lower rpm – ideal for urban or backroad environments.
A quiet and smooth six-speed transmission features overdriven fifth and sixth gears that contribute to more relaxed riding and better fuel economy at highway speeds. The Vulcan 1700 Classic transfers power from the transmission to the rear wheel through a narrow carbon fiber final drive belt with 40-percent higher tensile strength than a Kevlar unit of the same width.
Designed to be as light and slim as possible, the Classic’s single backbone double cradle frame offers a short seat-to-steering head distance, with a correspondingly short wheelbase. That easy-reach handlebar facilitates slow-speed maneuvering and helps maximize rider confidence. Adding to the light and easy handling are suspension components matched to the Vulcan 1700 Classic’s intended mission. An elegantly simple rear swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks provides 3.1 inches of rear suspension travel, and features air spring preload and four-way rebound adjustment. Up front, a large 43mm fork offers precise steering feedback, a supple ride and 5.5 inches of travel.
The Vulcan 1700 Classic rolls on nine-spoke cast wheels that run fat, tubeless tires – 130/90 front and 170/70 rear – that complement its muscular styling. Dual 300mm front disc brakes featuring twin-piston calipers and a single 300mm rear disc brake with a two-piston caliper help bring this stylish machine to steady, powerful stops.
Packed with technology and blessed with the sort of jaw-dropping looks that’ll keep you the envy of your riding buddies, the Vulcan 1700 Classic is the perfect cruising package. Just try not to drool on it.
2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic Key Features
• Liquid-cooled 1,700cc V-twin engine produces massive torque
• Fuel injection system optimized for power in the low
• to mid-rpm range
• Compact frame for easy maneuverability and handling
• Electronic throttle valve system helps produce smooth power
• Adjustable rear suspension
• 9-spoke cast wheels add to the classic V-twin look and feel
• Instrumentation includes digital LCD screen that displays a wealth of information
2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic Features and Benefits
Powerful 1,700cc V-twin engine
• Liquid cooled, four valves per cylinder, fuel-injected 1,700cc 52-degree V-twin engine
• Long-stroke 102 x 104mm bore and stroke dimensions help deliver massive torque and distinctive V-twin feel
• Valve system uses a single overhead cam arrangement instead of pushrods for quick revability and enhanced mid
• to high-rpm power
• Semi-dry sump allows low crankshaft placement and long stroke without increasing engine height
• Single-pin crank accentuates the engine’s V-twin character by providing strong power pulses
• Large capacity airbox is located on both sides of the engine
• Small-diameter iridium sparkplugs reach deep into the combustion chamber for high combustion efficiency, especially during low-load operation
• Dual staggered mufflers offer a rich sound and stylish appearance
• Engine tuning offers superior acceleration in the 50 to 70 mph range
• Even in overdrive, the engine pulls strongly, facilitating overtaking at highway speed
• The Vulcan 1700 takes advantage of FI and exhaust tuning optimized for maximum performance in the low
• to mid-rpm range, giving it plenty of grunt on the boulevard
• Utilizes one sensor in place of the usual three for simplicity and light weight
• Based on the systems used by the Ninja® 650R and Vulcan 900 motorcycles
Electronic Throttle Valve System
• Fully electronic throttle actuation system enables the ECU to control the volume of intake air (via throttle valve angle) and fuel (via fuel injector timing) delivered to the engine
• Optimized fuel injector timing and throttle valve position results in accurate, powerful engine response
• Control of both fuel injection and airflow provides easy starting and precise cold-engine idle speed control
• The ETV works like a standard cable-operated throttle; the throttle grip is connected to cables, so the feel at the grip for the rider is the same
• Twisting the throttle turns a pulley on the throttle body that triggers the Accelerator Position Sensor (APS) to send a signal to the ECU, which then modulates the throttle valves via a DC motor
• Accurate throttle position is relayed to the ECU by a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
• APS and TPS send two sets of signals to the ECU for system redundancy in the unlikely event of a sensor failure
On Board Diagnostics
• Diagnostic system allows self testing of the electronic systems on the Vulcan 1700
• Displays codes on the instrumentation that can be read by owner from the accessory manual
Six-speed Transmission / Final Drive
• 5th and 6th gear are overdrive ratios, contributing to stress-free riding and better fuel economy when cruising at highway speeds
• 28mm carbon fiber final drive belt offers a 40 percent increase in tensile strength compared to current Kevlar belts. This allows the Vulcan 1700 to use a belt only 2mm wider than the Kevlar belt on the Vulcan 900
• Belt drive system is quiet, efficient and offers reduced maintenance compared to a chain
Light Handling Chassis
• Compact frame features a shorter wheelbase and short distance between the seat and steering head for an ideal ergonomic layout and easy maneuverability
• Light and as slim as possible, the frame minimizes the number of forged parts and trims any unnecessary metal. The only forged parts are areas that require additional strength – the down-tube joint, engine brackets, side-stand bracket, and rear fender/shock absorber bracket
• The compact design contributes to light handling and facilitates maneuverability at low speeds, especially when executing precise slow-speed maneuvers like parking or making U-turns
43mm Telescopic Fork
• Provides superb steering feedback
• 5.5 inches of travel for excellent ride quality
Dual Adjustable Rear Air Shocks
• Air-adjustable spring preload can be tuned to match varying rider and passenger loads
• 4-way rebound damping adjustments help the shocks compensate for changes in spring pressure
• Chromed shock covers contribute to the bike’s luxurious finish
9-Spoke Cast Wheels
• Allow the use of tubeless tires and complement the Vulcan 1700’s muscular styling
• 130/90 front and 170/70 rear tires
• Tire choice and suspension settings selected to augment the chassis’ light handling characteristics
• Dual 300mm front and a single 300mm rear disc are squeezed by twin-piston calipers. This braking system is tuned to provide sure, powerful stops
Classic V-twin Appeal
• The line created by the top of the airbox and the cylinder heads forms a curved shape that continues to flow through the bike
• Deeply chromed engine covers have curved upper surfaces. Their three-dimensional form adds volume and gives a high quality appearance
• The edges of the cooling fins receive a special NC treatment that makes them gleam in sunlight
• All the non-chromed engine parts have a matte black finish that further accentuates the gleaming chrome
• The fuel tank’s hand-sculpted contours employ a constantly varying radius, giving the bike a dynamic flowing style that’s pleasing both to the eye and the touch
• The elegantly shaped fuel tank contributes to the Vulcan 1700’s curvaceous figure
• LED taillight looks elegant and provides years of trouble-free service
• Ignition switch allows on-position key removal, preventing keys from scratching the instrument cluster or tank while the bike is in operation
• Turning the ignition switch collar to the “OFF” position turns the engine off and necessitates re-insertion of the key to restart
• Multi-function LCD displays on the tank-mounted instrument cluster are controlled by switches on the right handlebar. Features include a gear-position indicator, fuel gauge, clock, odometer, dual trip meters, remaining mileage range and average fuel consumption
• Liberal use of chrome on the engine, fender brackets, light stays, and rear shock covers contrast nicely with the bodywork’s deep, lustrous paint
• The sculpted shape of the seat complements the rich visual tone of the bodywork
|Engine||Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valves per cylinder, 52-degree V-twin|
|Displacement||1,700cc / 103.7ci|
|Bore x Stroke||102 x 104mm|
|Maximum Torque||108 lb-ft @ 2250|
|Cooling||System Liquid, plus cooling fins|
|Induction||Digital fuel injection, dual 42mm throttle bodies|
|Ignition||TCBI with Digital Advance|
|Transmission||Six-speed with overdrive and positive neutral finder|
|Frame Type||Steel, double-cradle with box-section single-tube backbone|
|Rake/Trail||30° / 6.7 in.|
|Front Suspension / wheel travel||43mm hydraulic fork / 5.5 in.|
|Rear Suspension / wheel travel||Swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks, with 4-way rebound damping / 3.1 in.|
|Front Tire||Size 130/90x16|
|Rear Tire||Size 170/70x16|
|Brakes, front / rear||Dual 300 mm discs, dual twin-piston calipers / Single 300 mm disc, twin-piston caliper|
|Overall length||98.4 in.|
|Overall width||40.4 in.|
|Overall height||45.5 in.|
|Ground clearance||5.1 in.|
|Seat height||28.3 in.|
|Curb weight||761 lbs.**|
|Fuel capacity||5.3 gal.|
|Good Times™||Protection Plan 12, 24, 36 or 48 months|
** Curb weight includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90-percent capacity) and tool kit (if supplied).