- Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valve per cylinder, 52° V-twin
- 6-speed with overdrive and positive neutral finder
- Torque @ RPM:
- 108 @ 2750
- Digital fuel injection, dual 42mm throttle bodies
- 1700 cc
Equipped with various features designed to improve your riding experience, the Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero is a stylish tourer ready to follow you in your longest adventures. At the heart of this beauty lies a four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valve per cylinder, 52° V-twin, 1700 cc engine. The engine is mated on a six speed transmission and cranks out a peak torque of 108 lb-ft at 2,750 rpm.
Among the numerous comfort features offered by the Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero you’ll find a sculpted seat that offers an upright riding position and a large, wide fairing with abbreviated windscreen and integrated lowers. You also get dual adjustable rear air-shocks and a 45mm hydraulic fork that work togheter to offer a fairly comfortable ride.
In terms of style the Vulcan 1700 Vaquero features Metallic Flat Spark Black paint, a sculpted tank and a curvaceous bodywork. You also get various chrome accents and a blacked-out engine.
Hit the jump for more information on the Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero.
Rakish Good Looks for the Long Haul
The Vulcan® 1700 Vaquero® has an impressive presence that lets everyone know this big, stylish V-twin bagger excels on the open road. Engineered and built for long-term dependability the Vaquero also brings a healthy dose of practicality in addition to its dominating presence. Its roomy cockpit and long list of standard features like electronic cruise control and a high output audio system make this much more than just a powerful cruiser, they give the Vaquero the impressive ability to handle a night on the town or a week on the road with an equal measure of grace and style!
Custom, blacked-out details are your first clue to the Vulcan 1700 Vaquero’s mission, and there’s plenty to see. It all starts with the Metallic Flat Spark Black paint on the abbreviated fairing, sculpted tank and curvaceous bodywork that looks as if it could be a mile deep. Luxurious chrome accents (engine guards, exhaust, mirrors, etc.) provide a classy counterpoint to the matte paintwork, but it’s perhaps the multi-textured blacked-out engine and chassis treatment that best highlights the Vaquero’s radical aesthetic look. The engine, air-cleaner cover, wheels, fork assembly and tank cover all get the blackout treatment, which gives the bike a true custom look that’s beautiful and menacing at once. It’s definitely not a motorcycle you’ll easily forget.
Beneath all that beautiful bodywork, matte paint and chrome is a superbly engineered motorcycle, one that blends power, handling, a confidence-inspiring character and impressive dependability into a massively functional package.
It all starts with the Vaquero’s 1,700cc liquid-cooled V-twin, which powers all four Vulcan 1700 models – Voyager®, Classic, Nomad® and Vaquero. A thoroughly proven design, this 52-degree V-twin boasts the very latest in engine technology yet looks like a throwback to the past, a time when the V-twin was the engine to have powering your motorcycle. Features include an overhead cam design, high compression and a long-stroke dimensional design that results in the sort of effortless low- and mid-range thrust that’s so desirable and useful in a big-inch cruiser.
Vaquero’s throttle valve system works with the advanced electronic fuel injection to optimize engine response without detracting from its distinctive V-twin throb. The system uses an Accelerator Position Sensor (APS) and a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) that feed data to the ECU, which adjusts the throttle plates to tailor intake airflow accordingly. The system offers a natural throttle feel, because the APS is activated by a throttle body pulley connected by cables to the throttle grip. Besides the obvious FI advantages such as improved fuel economy and automatic adjustment for altitude changes, the system also permits easy hands-off warm-up and idle speed control. Vaquero also features a water-cooled alternator that produces a staggering 46.8 amps of electrical output – plenty to power a selection of electronic accessories that enrich motorcycle travel.
A massive quantity of usable torque spread out over a shockingly wide rpm range is the signature trait of its muscular V-twin. With 108 foot-pounds of torque, a mere twist of the Vaquero’s throttle delivers arm-stretching acceleration for freeway passing or spirited riding, and the smooth wave of low-rpm grunt is always ready to please when you’re just boppin’ down the boulevard, checking out the scene and chillin’.
Vaquero offers true touring-bike convenience in the form of its electronic cruise control system, conveniently operated from the right handlebar and usable at any speed between 30 and 85 mph in any of the top four gears. The cruise system can be disengaged in any of the following ways: depressing the brake lever, clutch lever, rear brake pedal, or manually turning the throttle grip past the “closed” position.
Additional touring acumen shines through the engine’s six-speed transmission with overdriven 5th and 6th gears, which contributes to a relaxed ride and excellent fuel economy at highway speeds. Power is routed to the rear wheel via a narrow carbon fiber-reinforced drive belt that has a 40-percent higher tensile strength than current Kevlar belts. And that chopped, custom-look fairing? Although lower than a traditional windshield or full fairing, it still cuts a decent-sized hole in oncoming atmosphere, giving the rider a useful still-air cocoon in which to enjoy the ride.
The intercom headset-compatible, 40-watt, twin-speaker audio system features navigation audio prompts, a three-band (FM/AM/WX) radio that is also compatible with iPods, an XM radio tuner, select GPS devices, or a CB radio unit. The audio system (and iPod) can be operated by an integrated controller on the left handlebar. In addition to volume, the rider can also adjust the bass, treble and balance levels of the system.
Lockable side-loading hard bags set the Vaquero apart from its Vulcan 1700 brethren. They’re beautifully integrated and spacious, and styled to highlight the bike’s long, low look. A scooped saddle offers a comfortable rider perch, while a minimalist passenger pad sits atop a wildly shaped rear fender that integrates equally stylish taillight and turn signal assemblies.
The frame holding all this hardware together is a single backbone, double cradle unit designed to be a slim and light as possible for an easy reach to the ground and optimal handling. Bolted to the steering head is a mammoth 45mm fork assembly offering 5.5 inches of wheel travel and a thoroughly compliant ride. Suspension in back consists of twin air-assisted shocks with spring preload and rebound damping adjustability working through a beefy steel swingarm. Nine-spoke cast aluminum flat-black wheels hold fat, 130/90 front and 170/70 radial tires that offer light handling characteristics, superb traction and long life. Braking hardware consists of dual 300mm front discs with twin-piston calipers and a 300mm rear disc with a two-piston caliper.
It all adds up to a truly top-of-the-line bagger that encompasses a perfect combination of traits: It’s functional in a wide range of environments, from inner-city cruisin’ to running down the open road. It’s got highly advanced technology. And it’s knee-shakingly beautiful, a bike that’ll put goosebumps on your arms and neck every time you open the garage door to take a peek.
- Aggressive blacked-out looks and strong styling cues emphasize the simple character of the body shapes
- Low seat height with sporty one-piece seat contributes to long, low classic “bagger” look
- Unique “muscle car” styled instrumentation keeps the rider fully informed
- 1,700cc V-twin puts out loads of torque and offers outstanding passing power
- 6-speed transmission allows for relaxed cruising
- Electronic throttle actuation system helps ensure optimized injector timing and throttle valve position, resulting in an accurate, powerful engine response
- Electronic cruise control maintains speed for more comfort on long trips
- Frame-mounted front fairing directs aerodynamic forces to the chassis to keep steering feel light
- Audio system has FM, AM and WX and is compatible with iPod, XM tuner, select GPS units, or a CB radio
- Twin tapered mufflers maximize saddlebag capacity
- Includes a 36 month limited factory warranty that can be supplemented with up to an additional 36 months of Kawasaki’s Good Times™ Protection Plan. That’s a total of up to an amazing SIX YEARS of coverage!
Powerful 1,700cc V-twin engine
- Fuel-injected 52-degree 1,700cc V-twin is liquid-cooled and features four valves per cylinder
- Long-stroke 102 x 104mm bore and stroke dimensions deliver high torque levels with a powerful and distinct V-twin feel
- Valve-actuation system uses a single overhead cam arrangement instead of pushrods for quicker revving and enhanced mid-high rpm power
- Semi-dry sump design allows lower crankshaft positioning and a longer piston stroke without increasing engine height
- Single-pin crankshaft accentuates the engine’s V-twin character by providing strong power pulses
- Large-capacity airbox is located on both sides of the engine
- Small-diameter iridium sparkplugs reach deep into the combustion chamber for high combustion efficiency, especially during low-load operation
- Engine tuning, combined with long-stroke design, offers superior acceleration in the 50-70 mph range
- Even in overdrive (5th and 6th gear) the engine pulls strongly, making highway passing easier
Digital Fuel Injection
- The touring-oriented Voyager utilizes DFI® and an exhaust system tuned to reach peak torque and horsepower at a higher rpm than the engines used in standard Vulcan 1700 cruisers
Electronic Throttle Valve System
- Fully electronic throttle actuation system enables the ECU to control the volume of intake air (via throttle valve angle) and fuel (via fuel injector timing) delivered to the engine
- Optimized injector timing and throttle valve position results in accurate, powerful engine response
- Control of both injection and airflow provides easy starting and precise cold-engine idle speed control
- From the rider’s perspective, the ETV system works like a standard cable-operated throttle; the throttle grip remains connected to cables, so the feel at the grip is the same
- Twisting the throttle turns a pulley on the throttle body, which triggers the Accelerator Position Sensor (APS) to send a signal to the ECU, which then modulates the throttle valves via a DC motor
- Accurate throttle position is relayed to the ECU by a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
- APS and TPS send two sets of signals to the ECU for system redundancy in the unlikely event of a sensor failure
Electronic Cruise Control System
- System maintains a desired speed even on uphill climbs
- Cruise control can be engaged and adjusted entirely from the right handlebar
- Cruise system can be activated in 3rd gear or above at any speed between 30 mph and 85 mph
- Pressure on the brake lever, clutch lever or rear brake pedal automatically disengages the cruise control, as does manually rolling off the throttle
On Board Diagnostics
- Diagnostic system allows self testing of the electronic systems on the Vulcan 1700
- System displays codes on the instrumentation, which can be read by owner
6-speed Transmission / Final Drive
- Durable and easy-shifting six-speed transmission with positive neutral finder
- 5th and 6th are overdrive gears for excellent fuel economy when cruising at highway speeds
- Carbon fiber-reinforced final drive belt offers a 40 percent increase in tensile strength compared to current Kevlar belts
- Belt drive system is quiet, efficient and offers reduced maintenance compared to a chain
- The strong steel frame allows a relatively short wheelbase for optimal ergonomics and easy maneuverability
- The Vaquero frame minimizes the number of forged parts and trims any unnecessary metal to help keep weight in check. The only forged parts are areas that require additional strength: the down-tube joint, engine brackets, side-stand bracket and rear fender/shock absorber bracket
45mm Telescopic Fork
- Provides superb steering feedback
- 5.5 inches of travel for excellent ride quality
- Optimized damping and spring settings for a plush but controlled ride
Dual Air-adjustable Rear Shocks
- Air-adjustable shocks can be tuned to match varying rider and passenger loads
- 4-way rebound damping adjustability helps the shocks compensate for changes in spring pressure
9-Spoke Cast Aluminum Wheels
- Light and strong wheels allow the use of tubeless tires, while flat black paint nicely complements the Vaquero’s styling treatment
- Fat and long-wearing 130/90 front and 170/70 rear tires
- Tire choice and suspension settings augment the chassis’ light handling characteristics
Styling and Bodywork
- Basic engine architecture supports the Vaquero’s factory-custom look, while its blacked-out color with machined and bare-aluminum accents sets off the bike’s color scheme
- Gloss and matte finishes on the engine highlight aesthetics even further
- Hand-formed body shapes create a highly customized appearance
- Many of the parts are exclusive to the Vaquero, which add to its factory-custom look and feel. These include the engine shrouds, rear fender, one-piece side covers, saddlebags, fairing and seat
- Cut-down fairing looks like a true custom piece, right down to the abbreviated smoked windscreen and headlight cover
- Louvre-style fog lamp covers can be replaced with accessory lamps
- Sculpted strut covers seamlessly fill the space between the rear fender and saddlebags
- Mufflers are tapered at their ends for a thoroughly retro look
- Sculpted, custom-look seat looks good and cradles the rider for maximum comfort
- LED taillight is attractive and highly conspicuous when lit for added safety
- Large, wide fairing with abbreviated windscreen and integrated lowers provides substantial wind and weather protection for riders
- With the fairing mounted to the frame, any wind buffeting is transferred to the bike rather than the handlebar, helping to enhance highway stability and reduce rider fatigue
- Vaquero features hard, lockable and sealed side-opening side cases that provide nearly 10 gallons of storage space each for overnight touring
- Their flowing, rounded shape is an attractive alternative to the square, boxy luggage found on other bagger models
- Up front, lockable glove boxes provide a handy place for storing smaller items
- Dual under-seat helmet holders
Classic Custom Dashboard / Advanced Audio
- Instrument layout and large round dials give the Vaquero’s console a custom look with a retro flavor
- The radio/stereo unit features a classically custom look from the 1960s
- Multi-function LCD display in the center of the instrument console is controlled by switches on the right handlebar. Features include a gear position indicator, fuel gauge, clock, odometer, dual trip meters, remaining range and average fuel consumption
- Analog displays include speedometer, tachometer and coolant temperature gauge
- Audio system with twin speakers features radio (FM/AM/WX) and compatibility with optional iPod®, XM tuner or CB radio units
- The audio system (and your iPod, which plugs easily into the left fairing pocket) can be operated by switches on the left handlebar
- Ignition switch allows key removal in the on position, which prevents keys from damaging the black finish tank cover during operation
- Turning the ignition switch collar to the ACC position allows accessories to be used while the engine is off; turning it to the “OFF” position turns the engine off and necessitates re-insertion of the key to restart
- Sculpted seat blends a stylish shape with ideal foam density for all-day comfort
- Scooped shape allows an easy reach to the ground
- Upright riding position and rubber-topped floorboards contribute to substantial riding comfort
- Dual adjustable rear air-shocks use settings optimized for a compliant ride and higher-load carrying when needed
- 5.3-gallon fuel tank offers a substantial range, helping to minimize fuel stops when out on the open road
- A large number of genuine Kawasaki accessories are available, including iPod connector, XM radio module, standard gel seat, dual gel saddle, saddlebag liners, auxiliary lights, DC power sockets, GPS mount, billet handlebar clamps, engine cover trim, saddlebag top rails, custom cover and more. See your Kawasaki dealer for more information
|Engine||Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valve per cylinder, 52° V-twin|
|Displacement||1,700cc / 103.7ci|
|Bore x Stroke||102 x 104mm|
|Maximum Torque||108 lb-ft @ 2,750 rpm|
|Cooling System||Liquid, plus cooling fins|
|Ignition||TCBI with Digital Advance|
|Induction||Digital fuel injection, dual 42mm throttle bodies|
|Transmission||6-speed with overdrive and positive neutral finder|
|Frame Type||Steel, double-cradle with box-section single-tube backbone|
|Rake/Trail||30° / 7.0 in.|
|Front Suspension / wheel travel||45mm hydraulic fork / 5.5 in.|
|Rear Suspension / wheel travel||Swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks, with 4-way rebound damping / 3.1 in.|
|Front Tire Size||130/90x16|
|Rear Tire Size||170/70x16|
|Brakes, front / rear||Dual 300mm discs, dual twin-piston calipers / Single 300mm disc, twin-piston caliper|
|Overall length||98.8 in.|
|Overall width||38.2 in.|
|Overall height||50.8 in.|
|Ground Clearance||5.7 in.|
|Seat height||28.7 in.|
|Curb weight||835.7 lbs.**|
|Fuel capacity||5.3 gal.|
|Color Choices||Metallic Flat Spark Black|
|Good Times™ Protection Plan||12, 24 or 36 months|
|Fuel Consumption||36 MPG|