Developed for the young motocrosers, the 2014 Kawasaki KX100 represents the perfect platform for learning the secrets of off road riding.
Since its inception, the KX100 has received a lot of improvements, and the 2014 model year has also received its share of modifications.
Among other upgrades, the new model year gets a larger chassis, a new fuel tank and a retuned liquid-cooled, two-stroke, 99cc engine that delivers nearly 17% more peak power than the old unit. The engine’s power is transferred to the rear wheel through a six-speed transmission that delivers smooth and precise shits.
The breaking system is also new, featuring petal-type brake rotors (220mm front and 184mm rear) for a better bite.
It is also worthy of being mentioned that the motorcycle rides on black alumite-coated lightweight aluminum rims wrapped in new Dunlop Geomax MX51 tires.
The 2014 Kawasaki KX100 is offered with a base price of $4599.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2014 Kawasaki KX100.
A New Challenger Helps Riders Prepare for the Big Time!
The Kawasaki KX™100 represents a natural step in the progression of any budding young motocrosser who has outgrown the 85’s, but could still stand to grow a few more inches, gain a couple more lbs. or simply put in a little more seat time before jumping aboard a powerful, full-sized KX250F. The new KX100 offers the perfect blend of a proportional power increase and a physically larger chassis for a more gradual learning curve en route to the big bikes.
The KX100’s liquid-cooled two-stroke engine delivers more power by virtue of its greater displacement. Its 99 championship-bred cubic centimeters deliver hard-hitting power and a broader power curve than the KX85, thanks in part to the proven Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System (KIPS®) which amplifies the KX100’s low-end torque and creates a more seamless transition to its furious top-end rush. Crisp throttle response is also assured through the KX100’s 28mm Keihin carburetor and carbon-fiber reed valve assembly, while a durable, smooth-shifting six-speed transmission offers the perfect ratios for tackling any obstacle on the track.
The KX100’s host of performance- and reliability-improving changes start at the top of its capable engine. A new cylinder head gasket with a 1mm increase in bore surface height is held in place with an additional dowel pin to prevent detonation and increase engine reliability. The KX’s durable, Nikasil-plated cylinder also features a larger exhaust port that is optimally shaped for better flow, improving peak power at wide open throttle. A new piston uses a single piston ring, rather than two rings, to reduce cylinder wall friction for even better engine response.
The power increase warranted changes to maintain the KX100’s bold yet flawless power character. Its 28mm Keihin PWK carburetor receives new jetting specs for optimized fuel atomization and smoother fuel delivery throughout the improved powerband. Further enhancing the KX100’s mid-range and top-end power is a revised Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System (KIPS®) with new independent valves for each port that replace the previous three-piece valve design, reducing maintenance and further improving reliability.
More durability improvements can be found in the KX’s crankshaft, which is now 83mm, 2mm larger than the previous model, and features a precisely shaped resin block added to the crankshaft to close the gap around the machined area near the crank pin. The resin block reduces the volume of the bottom-end to increase intake transfer to boost power as well as increasing rigidity and durability. More power usually generates more heat, but the KX100’s new radiator increases cooling capacity by nearly 52% to improve engine life and reduce the chance of engine overheating during grueling motos.
The KX100’s six-speed transmission delivers smooth and positive shifting along with extreme durability thanks to its hard chrome-finished shift fork ends, a thick base on the clutch basket housing and an additional bushing on the input shaft.
All of the engine improvements to bolster the KX100’s class-conquering horsepower would be worthless if the suspension couldn’t put that power to the ground, but a new Uni-Trak® linkage equipped KYB reservoir shock, and revised valving in the KYB 36mm inverted fork help ensure that the KX100 can thrive in the roughest motocross terrain. Just like its big brothers, the KX100’s fork now features shim-type valving and firmer damping for faster riders while also offering superior bottoming resistance, but a wide range of adjustability allows it to be tailored for precise damping to fit a variety of riding styles as well as track conditions. Out back, the new shock’s black-anodized aluminum body is 150 grams lighter, while a new clicker-type adjuster makes fine-tuning the rear suspension damping quick and easy.
New petal-type brakes improve the KX100’s stopping power, too. The 220mm front and 184mm rear rotors deliver strong, efficient braking performance while the shape of the petals helps clean the brake pads—a real plus in muddy conditions. The front brake hose is now routed behind the axle for better protection, and it gets new hose guides that are just like the guides on the big KX models. The KX100 also wears new Dunlop® Geomax MX51 intermediate tires that help provide optimal grip over varying terrain and riding conditions.
The KX100’s high-tensile steel perimeter frame is reinforced in key areas to maintain Kawasaki’s legendary handling traits and works in perfect harmony with the more potent engine, improved suspension and more powerful brakes, but significant ergonomics and styling changes greatly improve the KX’s overall look and feel. Its 34.3” tall seat height fits a wide variety of growing inseams. More adjustability than ever before is available on the KX100, thanks to a new wider and taller handlebar, three-position handlebar risers and two-position handlebar clamps that offer a total of six different handlebar positions to custom tailor rider ergonomics for a comfortable fit.
The KX100, also looks as fast as it runs, thanks to bold new factory racer styling that is virtually identical to the big KX models. A new fuel tank with a 20mm lower fuel cap, slim radiator covers and side panels blend harmoniously with a new, flatter two-tone seat that features a seamless cover and gripper material to improve cockpit room and increase rider comfort. A new angular front fender, number plate and white rear fender not only match the big KXs, but the front fender also help to reduce mud accumulation, while new wrap-around fork guards protect the inner fork tubes and seals. Last but not least, a new brushed finish on the aluminum swingarm helps keep the KX100 looking fresher longer.
Completing its factory-racer styling, the KX100 is finished off in Kawasaki’s signature lime green with eye-catching detail appointments such as blue alumite coatings on the adjusters and black alumite coating on the rims, just like Villopoto’s factory KX450F.
Those who race their KX100 at designated events are eligible to receive support from Team Green™, Kawasaki’s amateur racing support program. For over 30 years, Team Green has provided regional support vehicles, highly trained technicians and free technical support at more than 100 yearly events, offering technical information and assistance to those who race Kawasaki products. Kawasaki also offers a comprehensive contingency program for amateur and professional riders who place well at designated events.
Genuine Kawasaki Parts and Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
At A Glance…
- NEW Retuned liquid-cooled, two-stroke, 99cc engine produces nearly 17% more peak power than previous model
- NEW Revised Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve increases more mid-range torque and top-end power
- Uni-Trak® rear suspension is fully adjustable for compression and rebound damping and spring preload
- Rigid 36mm inverted cartridge forks are 20-way adjustable for compression damping, and provide better steering response and control
- Revised jetting in the 28mm Keihin PWK carburetor promotes ideal fuel atomization, for quicker throttle response and a smoother power delivery
- Six-speed transmission has chrome-finished shift fork ends to resist wear and seizing while bushings on the second, third and fourth gears on the output shaft increase durability
- Industry-leading amateur racer support through Team Green™
Liquid-cooled, 99cc, Two-stroke Engine
- NEW Cylinder head gasket and gasket retention dowel prevents detonation, increasing reliability
- NEW Piston with single-ring design (was two rings) reduces friction
- NEW Lightweight Nikasil-coated cylinder features a new exhaust port shape for better flow, more power
- NEW Larger outer diameter crankshaft is now 83mm (+2mm), increasing rigidity and improving durability
- NEW Precisely shaped resin block added to crankshaft closes the gap around the machined area near the crank pin, reducing volume of the bottom-end to increase intake transfer for more power
- Intake and exhaust port bridges are machine-finished for reduced wear and improved reliability
- Rotor comes with rare-earth magnets; the unitized piece is small, light and more efficient; low inertial moment improves low-rpm response
- Connecting rod big-end bearing has more rigid cage for improved durability
- Intake port shape and cylinder skirt allow cooling air into the crankcase chamber
- Primary gear is secured using a lock-nut to help reduce mechanical noise
- Metafoam gaskets for the generator and water pump covers improve sealing
Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System (KIPS®)
- KIPS system varies exhaust-port height for increased horsepower and torque at all rpm
- NEW independent valves for each port replace three-piece design, increasing reliability and reducing maintenance
- Produces a broad powerband with more mid-range torque and excellent top-end power
- Breather in KIPS cover improves high-rpm and overrun performance
28mm Keihin Carburetor
- NEW jetting optimizes performance with new engine tuning specs
- Large crescent slide positions the needle closer to intake ports for ideal fuel atomization, providing quicker throttle response and a smoother power delivery
- Carburetor adjustable for various conditions
- Thick-base clutch hub rides on needle bearings for smooth action
- Large, 91mm clutch plates add durability and control
- Clutch-release lever ratio is designed for light clutch lever action
- Clutch plate service cover simplifies maintenance and utilizes a metal-carbon composite gasket
- Positive shifting action and rugged durability
- Fifth and sixth gears ride on bushings for added reliability
- Shift forks are hard chrome-finished to resist wear and seizing
- Convenient oil-level window offers easy level checks
- Bushings on the second, third and fourth gears increase durability
High-tensile Steel Perimeter Frame
- High-tensile steel frame tubes are reinforced in key areas to manage increased power output
- Perimeter design accommodates optimal intake/exhaust design
- Wide, steel footpegs offer added control and strength.
- Thick footpeg-mount brackets withstand today’s rigorous tracks
- Engine and chassis bolts feature rust-resistant coating
- NEW Fuel tank design features a flatter top area for smoother seating
- NEW Tank cap is moved 20mm lower to extend available room for the rider
Uni-Trak® Rear Suspension
- NEW KYB reservoir shock features black-anodized aluminum body is 150 grams lighter
- NEW clicker-type compression damping adjuster allows for more precise damping adjustments
- Swingarm uses large cross-section beams for improved rigidity and control
- Cast-aluminum drive chain adjuster sections allow easy chain adjustments
- Shock is fully adjustable with 24-way compression and 21-way rebound damping, plus stepless spring preload
36mm Inverted Cartridge Fork
- NEW shim-type valving provides more precise damping control
- NEW firmer damping rates offer superior bottoming resistance
- Inverted fork is rigid, providing better steering response and control
- Compression damping is 20-way adjustable
- Aluminum upper fork tubes measure 36mm in diameter for flex-free performance
- Revised axle clamp reduces under-hang for greater fork clearance in ruts
- NEW petal-type brake rotors (220mm front/184mm rear) increase stopping power
- NEW petal-type rotor design helps clean the brake pads for more consistent performance
- NEW front brake hose routing helps protect brake line; front guides are just like the big KXs
- NEW direct upward line simplifies brake bleeding maintenance
- Front brake lever shape offers optimum feel
- Forged-aluminum rear brake pedal is strong, lightweight and features two seals at the pivot for smooth operation and increased durability
- Provide strong braking power with minimal effort
- Black alumite-coated lightweight aluminum rims offer a factory look
- Rear hub features two bearings on the drive side for added durability
- Large rear-axle diameter for optimum rigidity
- NEW Dunlop® Geomax MX51 tires provide optimal grip for a wide range of riding conditions
- NEW Slimmer radiator shrouds and side panels improve rider ergonomics
- NEW Flat seat with seamless seat cover and gripper material improve comfort and make weight shifts easier
- 34.3” seat height is ideal for larger riders who are still growing
- NEW handlebars are 24mm wider and 22mm taller for increased leverage and comfort
- NEW Three-position handlebar risers offer STD, +5mm higher and +10mm higher bar positioning
- NEW Two-position handlebar clamps offer STD, +10mm forward bar location for a total of six different handlebar positions with new handlebar risers
- NEW Swingarm surface treatment matches big KXs and is easier to clean and refresh
- NEW angular front fender, angular rear fender and number plate design match big KX-styling
- NEW wraparound fork guards with embossed Kawasaki logo protect inner fork tubes and enhance styling
- Factory lime green “flow line” graphics
- Black alumite coatings mirror the reigning champ’s KX
- Grey clutch and ignition covers resist the signs of boot rub to help keep the KX looking fresh
- NEW radiator increases cooling capacity by nearly 52% to sustain engine power during long motos
- Radiator is 2.6mm wider, 40mm taller
- Large right-side cutout improves airflow for increased power
- Reusable foam air filter
- Features large-diameter O-ring and groove on exhaust pipe for improved durability and easy installation
- Aluminum silencer is re-packable like larger KX models
|Engine||Two-stroke single with KIPS®|
|Bore x Stroke||52.5 x 45.8mm|
|Induction||Two-petal reed valve|
|Compression ratio||10.2:1 (low speed) – 8.7:1 (high speed)|
|Frame Type||High-tensile steel perimeter design with subframe member|
|Rake/Trail||29 degrees / 4.3 in.|
|Front suspension / wheel travel||36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 20-way compression damping / 10.8 in.|
|Rear suspension / wheel travel||Uni-Trak® single shock system with 24-way compression and 21-way rebound damping plus adjustable spring preload / 10.8 in.|
|Front Tire Size||70/100x19|
|Rear Tire Size||90/100x16|
|Front brakes / rear brakes||Hydraulic disc / Disc|
|Overall length||75.6 in.|
|Overall width||30.1 in.|
|Overall height||43.3 in.|
|Ground clearance||13.0 in.|
|Seat height||34.3 in.|
|Curb weight||169.7 lbs.|
|Fuel capacity||1.32 gal.|
|Color Choices||Lime Green|