Meet the 2014 Kawasaki Versys, a capable all-rounder that has all it needs to be considered one of the best bikes in its class.
Thanks to its sport-touring character and the high ground clearance the Kawasaki Versys can deal with a wide range of terrains without baking down. It is also surprisingly maneuverable and pretty comfortable.
At the heart of the motorcycle lies a compact 649cc parallel-twin unit that is the most compact model in its category and delivers plenty of power being perfectly suited for both highway and city riding. Its power is sent to the wheels through a modern six speed transmission that features a compact layout for easier maintenance.
The motorcycle is also equipped with a long-travel suspensions which enhance its off-road abilities.
It is also worthy of being mentioned that the 2014 model year is available with a revised ABS system that now comes with dual 300mm petal rotors in the front and a 220mm out back.
The 2014 Kawasaki Versys ABS can be yours for no less than $7,999.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2014 Kawasaki Versys.
A Multitalented Middleweight Motorcycle for the Masses
The Kawasaki Versys is a rare exception to the old adage, “jack of all trades, master of none.” This motorcycle’s relaxed riding position makes it ideal for daily commuting, while a Ninja-like sporting spirit lets it tackle serpentine roads with the competence of a hard-core sportbike. Its efficient 649cc parallel-twin engine and overall layout also make short work out of covering long distances. Versys really is a jack of all trades, and it truly masters the art of being a great motorcycle!
Versys’ adaptable personality is greatly enhanced by the rubber bushings on its rear engine mounts and rubber inserts atop its footpegs, which isolate the rider from engine vibration for all-day comfort. This flexible nature carries through to the Versys’ edgy upright sportbike styling, which incorporates an adjustable windscreen to accommodate taller and shorter riders alike.
Versys’ compact, liquid-cooled, fuel-injected, 649cc, parallel-twin engine was the perfect powerplant for this light and nimble do-anything bike right from the start: it’s lively enough for aggressive sport riders and predictable enough to inspire confidence in every-day commuters. The torquey twin delivers a deep ribbon of power in the lower and middle parts of its rev range, making the Versys a great commuter and relaxed traveling companion. Its surprising genius becomes readily apparent once the roads turn twisty, because despite its comfort and civility, the fun-to-ride Versys also offers genuine sportbike handling and excellent fuel economy. With its big, 5-gallon fuel tank, you can go a long way between fill-ups.
Long-travel, high-tech suspension is critical to the Versys’ multi-role mission. A Showa rear shock with two-stage damping firms up progressively as the wheel moves through its stroke, providing an initially plush ride that firms to near-sportbike levels as suspension loads escalate. The bike’s short, compact engine makes it possible to use a longer than average gull-wing swingarm to reduce throttle-induced suspension movement and excellent handling. An adjustable, long-travel 41mm tapered-tube inverted fork soaks up bumps big and small, and like the rear end, firms up nicely as the pace increases.
Crisp, linear ABS brakes are new for 2014 and help minimize drama and make slowing down a simple affair. Those new anti-lock brakes also boost the Versys’ already impressive versatility by reducing rider anxiety when conditions are questionable.
Absolutely key to the Versys’ success is a comfortable, carefully designed cockpit that provides a mostly upright, natural seating position and features a stepped seat constructed to provide optimum comfort for both rider and passenger. The comfort theme is further enhanced by the adjustable windscreen, which offers three different positions. An easy-to-read and informative instrument panel allows riders to quickly scan the gauges and keep their eyes on the road. Possibly the most versatile motorcycle out there, the Versys excels at almost any task it’s given, from gridlock traffic jams to canyon carving to long-distance touring.
Genuine Kawasaki Accessories are available through authorized Kawasaki dealers.
- NEW ABS brakes offer excellent performance and enhanced confidence in adverse conditions
- Amazingly versatile motorcycle is exceptionally comfortable to ride in a variety of situations, from commuting, to backroads, to touring and even track days
- 649cc parallel twin with digital fuel injection (DFI®) provides smooth, responsive power
- Long-travel fork delivers excellent performance over a wide range of situations
- Adjustable single-shock rear suspension offers progressive damping as suspension load increases
- 3-way adjustable windscreen allows customizable wind protection
- Aluminum swingarm and 17-inch cast aluminum wheels reduce unsprung weight for better ride quality
- Under-engine exhaust promotes better weight centralization
- Aggressive styling gives the Versys a distinctive look
649cc DOHC Parallel Twin-cylinder Engine
- Most compact engine in its category helps reduce the dimensions of the entire motorcycle
- Triangular crank and transmission shaft layout keeps it short front to back
- Semi-dry sump oil system reduces overall engine height
- Narrow, chrome composite-plated aluminum cylinders help reduce engine width
- Tuned to deliver smooth, responsive power in the low to mid-rpm range for exceptional roll-on response ideal for negotiating city traffic, tight backroads and anything in between
- 180-degree crankshaft and a balancer shaft produce a remarkably smooth engine
- Oil jets on the connecting rod ends spray oil on the undersides of the pistons to aid cooling
- Under-engine muffler with 3-way catalyzer aids mass centralization for light handling and great looks
- Engine temperatures stay consistent for long engine life and sustained power in tough conditions
- Closer engine tolerances mean more horsepower
- Coolant routed through the engine cases reduces the number of external hoses
Digital Fuel Injection (DFI®)
- A pair of 38mm Keihin throttle bodies with ECU-controlled sub-throttle valves mean optimum performance and rideability
- Sub-throttles, located behind the main throttle valves, give the Versys precise throttle response and great feel as well
- An automatic fast idle system makes starting and warm-up easy, even on cold days
- Precise fuel injection provides great fuel mileage, and the 3-way catalyzer significantly reduces emissions
- Versys’ racing-style cassette transmission uses a compact layout that’s easily removable as a single unit from the engine cases for much easier gearbox maintenance
Slender Trellis Frame
- Versys’ exotic-looking trellis frame is small, light and narrow at the knees and pegs for excellent comfort and control
- 3D computer analysis in the design process achieved optimum stiffness balance for superior ride and handling
Single Shock Rear Suspension
- A distinctive aluminum gull-wing swingarm controlled by a lay-down single shock complements the distinctive frame design, with an integrated line flowing from steering head to rear hub
- The short, compact frame and engine design allow the swingarm to be longer, which improves overall handling
- The Showa shock has adjustable preload and rebound damping, and uses a free piston and two-stage damping valves for smooth action during initial compression that becomes firmer near the end of the stroke for a more planted feel
Adjustable Long-travel Front Fork
- A long-travel 41mm inverted fork delivers excellent performance over a wide range of conditions
- Tapered, relatively short outer tubes help provide the ideal stiffness balance to complement frame stiffness and chassis settings
- Fork height, spring preload and rebound damping can be adjusted to fine-tune the suspension to specific conditions, riding styles and loads
NEW Anti-Lock Disc Brakes
- NEW ABS brakes offer excellent performance and enhanced confidence in adverse conditions
- Dual 300mm petal-style rotors with two-piston calipers in front and a single 220mm petal rotor with a single-piston caliper in back provide plenty of stopping power
- Same rotor design as found on the Ninja® supersport machines; petal design rotors offer improved cooling and warp resistance compared to traditional discs
- Like the ones you’ll find on the Ninja ZX™-6R and ZX-10R, these six-spoke wheels use less material between spokes so rim thickness is reduced along with overall wheel weight
- Lighter wheels increase overall performance – suspension, handling, acceleration/deceleration and initial turn-in
Very Comfortable Ergonomics
- Each section of the two-piece seat was designed with a different thickness and firmness of foam to optimize comfort for both rider and passenger
- An easy-to-read instrument panel has a large analog tachometer and digital readout for the speedometer, fuel gauge, odometer, dual trip meters and clock. White LED backlighting provides increased visibility at night
- Grab rails, seat cover material, and a comfortable seating position make the Versys more fun and less stressful for passengers
- Rubber bushings at the rear engine mounts and hollow rubber-covered footpegs result in reduced engine vibration and a more comfortable ride
- The fairing, stacked dual headlight, front fender and mirrors, and a Z1000-style LED tail light give the Versys a distinctly bold and high-tech appearance
- The windscreen provides a large still-air pocket for comfort, and its three-position adjustability makes it adaptable to fit a variety of riders and climates
|Engine||Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder parallel twin|
|Bore x Stroke||83.0 x 60.0 mm|
|Fuel System||Digital fuel injection with two 38mm Keihin throttle bodies|
|Ignition||TCBI with electronic advance|
|Final Drive||O-Ring Chain|
|Frame Type||Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel|
|Rake/Trail||25 degrees/4.3 in.|
|Wheelbase 55.7 in.|
|Front Tire Size||120/70-17|
|Rear Tire Size||160/60-17|
|Front Suspension / Wheel Travel||41mm hydraulic telescopic fork with stepless adjustable rebound and preload / 5.9 in.|
|Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel||Single offset laydown shock with 13-position adjustable rebound damping and adjustable spring preload / 5.7 in.|
|Front brakes||Dual 300mm petal discs with two-piston caliper|
|Rear brakes||Single 220mm petal disc with single-piston caliper|
|Fuel Capacity||5.0 gal.|
|Seat Height||33.3 in.|
|Curb Weight||454.2 lbs.|
|Overall Length||83.7 in.|
|Overall Width||33.1 in.|
|Overall Height||52.4 in.|
|Color(s)||Candy Lime Green, Ebony|
|Good Times™ Protection Plan||12, 24, 36 or 48 months plans are available|