Meet the all-new 2014 Kawasaki Z100. The new model year made its worldwide debut at the EICMA motorcycle show in Milan.
The motorcycle is propelled by the same engine as the Kawasaki Z1000SX namely a 1043cc, four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four unit which cranks out a maximum power of 142hp and 81.8lbft of torque. The engine is combined with new exhaust internals which help you get a more aggressive roar.
It is also worthy of being mentioned that the motorcycle is equipped with a new fuel tank which has an increased capacity rated at 17 litres.
Jump on board and you’ll be greeted by dual-element digital instrumentation, a fat solid-mount tubular aluminum handlebar with double-taper grips, a new intricately textured seat and Ninja ZX-10R-style footpegs with knurled surfaces.
The 2014 Kawasaki Z1000 can be yours for no less than $11.999.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2014 Kawasaki Z1000.
The “it” factor is hard to describe, but you always know it when you see it. Likewise, the new 2014 Kawasaki Z1000 has a hard-to-define “streetfighter” style that is impactful enough to ensure everyone knows they’re seeing something special. In a significant departure from the concealing bodywork of its sportbike predecessor, the new Z1000 strips-off unnecessary covers and bodywork to expose the superior functionality of its parts.
The Kawasaki Z design language has been elevated to a higher level with the new Z1000’s “Sugomi” styling. From its seductively sculpted shapes invoking a crouching predator and painstaking details like its special “Z” logo ignition keys, machined aluminum steering stem bolt, and intricately textured “Z” motif seat cover, to the tighter tolerances of its high-quality components and bodywork, the dramatic result has a very special feel that helps set the stage for the excitement to follow!
For 2014, Kawasaki engineers concentrated on making the Z1000 more potent and capable than ever. Its extremely exciting inline-four produces the sort of power that launches you away from stops and out of corners in a way lesser powerplants simply can’t hope to match. The Z1000 engine produces strong, instant-on thrust that’s capable of embarrassing many hardcore sportbikes.
Z1000’s 1,043cc, DOHC, liquid-cooled, 16-valve engine features revised intake cams that boost its low-to-midrange torque—where most street bikes spend their time. When the road opens up, this stylish streetfighter can better stretch its legs thanks to additional airbox vents and new cylinder connecting passageways that help strengthen mid-to-high RPM performance by improving breathing and reducing the pumping losses associated with displacing air inside the crankcase. The more pronounced growl of the intake at low-RPM and its intoxicating howl at full-song will put a smile on even the most jaded rider’s face. This engine’s responsive power allows it to excel at almost any street-going activity, be it playing around town, sport riding, or dispatching miles on the open road.
Four 38mm Keihin downdraft throttle bodies inject an ideal mix of fuel and air into each combustion chamber with help from an advanced ECU that’s been re-tuned to provide a livelier engine feel. An updated cool air intake system routes fresh air to the airbox via extra ducts at the front of the bike, and a new, non-woven air filter element provides better flow at high-RPM, while four equal-length velocity stacks help provide snappier throttle response to further increase the engine’s fun factor. Digital Timing Advance contributes to the increased low- and mid-range power, while spark plug-mounted ignition coils help ensure perfect timing for each cylinder. It’s a perfect engine for a road-going sportbike – aggressive, powerful, flexible, and blessed with the legendary reliability associated with Kawasaki sportbikes.
Shorter overall gearing complements the more responsive engine to deliver astounding thrust at the rider’s command. However, a new, slightly taller 6th gear helps maintain reasonable RPM at highway speeds so comfort and economy don’t suffer when covering miles on a long ride.
A beautifully styled 4-into-2-pre-chamber-into-2 exhaust offers a pleasing growl that is well-matched to the more-aggressive tone of the Z1000’s intake system. A butterfly valve in the right-side muffler not only helps reduce noise, but also tunes exhaust back-pressure waves to help enhance low-rpm engine response.
The Z1000 features an advanced aluminum frame similar in design to the Ninja® ZX™-10R superbike’s. The lightweight assembly curves over the engine, cradling it from above and bolting solidly to it in three places, with a rubber-backed fourth mount provided for added vibration isolation and torsional rigidity. This design allowed engineers to keep the bike’s waist narrow for superb rider interface and maximum comfort and control. The main frame and swingarm pivot pieces are cast as a single unit, with welds eliminated wherever possible for seamless aesthetics. Its new sub-frame tapers to a very shallow cross-section at the rear, allowing the bodywork to take-on an aggressive minimalist profile.
The wheels, brakes and suspension bits that allow this bike to move so gracefully and swiftly are truly state-of-the-art. Suspension is handled by a new fully adjustable 41mm inverted SFF-BP (Separate Function Fork – Big Piston) fork up front and a preload- and rebound-adjustable horizontal back-link shock in the rear. The single-shock system features a damper mounted nearly horizontally above the swingarm for optimal mass centralization and heat resistance. The gas/oil shock offers superb wheel control whether you’re hammering along deserted backroads or prowling across pothole-infested city streets.
Great looking new one-piece “monobloc” radial-mount front brake calipers offer world-class power and feel. The ABS equipped disc brake system – 310mm petal-type front rotors squeezed by those ultra-rigid radially mounted “monobloc” calipers, is controlled by an equally race-spec radial pump master cylinder. The new, monobloc front calipers are machined from a single piece of aluminum delivering both increased caliper stiffness and reduced weight. Riders will love the responsive braking power and improved feel at the lever. A 250mm petal-type rotor and single-piston caliper provide good rear brake feel at the pedal for maximum finesse during aggressive riding. The power and feel of the brakes at both ends is amazing, providing supreme confidence when slowing the bike down from speed. The Z1000’s standard anti-lock brake system (ABS) promotes additional rider confidence when riding in slippery situations.
The wheels working with those brakes – lightweight six-spoke supersport-style units – are also the latest in lightweight production technology. They not only reduce unsprung mass, which allows the suspension to function optimally, but also carry the latest in radial tire technology. The result is superb grip, precise handling and reasonably long tread life.
The Z1000’s sculpted styling is easily its most stunning aspect. The thin, compact headlight housing was positioned as low as possible, extending the line that starts from the top of the tank. The new reflector-less LED headlight design is a first for Kawasaki. It uses four LEDs that enable the housing to be shaped in a way that contributes to the more intense glare of the Z1000’s new face. All four long-life, low-energy LED bulbs: two low-beam (center), two high-beam (outside) illuminate when the high-beams are on, and a separate LED position lamp is located on the instrument cover. Slim, futuristic looking radiator shrouds partially surround the Z1000’s powerful engine, and a new under-cowl further contributes to the aggressive image. The new slender tailsection bodywork is more compact than the previous Z1000 models, further contributing to the bike’s crouched-forward appearance. The compact passenger pad was designed to integrate with the rider’s seat and gives the appearance of a solo-seat cover, adding to the sporty look of the new more-compact tail section. A new LED taillight design also adds a futuristic touch to the bike’s rear.
In keeping with its radical looks, the Z1000 offers a highly effective riding position. The wide, large-diameter aluminum handlebars offer great leverage for aggressive maneuvers, and the knurled metal footpegs grip the rider’s boots to provide a direct-connection to the chassis. It all adds-up to the perfect cockpit for maximum agility without sacrificing real world comfort.
As a package, the Z1000’s engine and chassis are tuned to act more like European “streetfighter” models in both looks and feel. This innovative bike marks a significant step forward, providing an overall experience that is very different from other Japanese motorcycles, a quicker, more direct feel that is sure to please experienced riders.
A large selection of Kawasaki Genuine Accessories is available through authorized Kawasaki dealers.
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) markets and distributes Kawasaki motorcycles, ATVs, Side x Sides, and Jet Ski® watercraft through a network of more than 1,200 independent retailers, with an additional 7,400 retailers specializing in Kawasaki power products and general purpose engines. KMC and its affiliates employ nearly 3,100 people in the United States, with 300 of them located at KMC’s Irvine, California headquarters.
Kawasaki’s tagline, “Let the good times roll.™”, is recognized worldwide. The Kawasaki brand is synonymous with powerful, stylish and category-leading vehicles. Information about Kawasaki’s complete line of powersports products and Kawasaki affiliates can be found on the Internet at www.kawasaki.com.
• NEW Uniquely aggressive "Sugomi" styling gives the Z1000 a distinct predatory look
• UPGRADED 1,043cc inline-four with DFI® offers sharper response that enhances this engine’s already impressive mid-range and top-end power
• NEW Showa Separate Function: Big Piston Fork (SFF-BP) offers light weight, easy adjustability and excellent wheel control to cope with the high forces associated with aggressive riding
• NEW One-piece "monobloc" radial-mount front brake calipers offer superb braking power and control, along with a premium laser-etched Kawasaki logo and black alumite finish
• NEW Supersport-style 6-spoke lightweight aluminum wheels contribute to the Z1000’s sporty image while reducing rotating inertia and saving approximately 3.3 lbs. of unsprung weight
• NEW Shorter final-drive gearing provides quicker response and enhanced riding excitement, while a new taller 6th gear helps maintain highway comfort
• NEW Analog plus Digital instrument cluster includes a large tachometer and a digital display offering a wealth of information on current bike conditions and settings
• NEW Compact subframe design is more slender and shorter to match the new styling
• Upright "streetfighter" riding position provides excellent leverage on the controls for maximum maneuverability, coupled with a commanding view of the urban jungle
DOHC, 16-valve, 1,043cc Engine
• 1,043cc liquid-cooled inline-four offers true open-class power from idle to redline
• NEW Cylinder connecting passageways reduce pumping losses and improve mid-to-high RPM performance
• NEW Intake cams provide improved low-to-midrange torque for instant thrust and maximum rider satisfaction
• NEW More-aggressive ECU settings provide sharper throttle response
• Bore and stroke dimensions of 77.0 x 56.0mm offer an ideal balance of peak power and low and mid-range flexibility
• 38mm Keihin throttle bodies cram the air/fuel mixture directly into combustion chambers via downdraft intakes for maximum power
• Oval sub throttles help keep the engine slim, and a slim midsection allows an ideal bike/rider interface for maximum comfort and control
• Engine’s rev limiter comes into play "softly," providing usable overrev character because power doesn’t drop off suddenly at high RPM
• The engine’s relatively low crankshaft position allows a moderately long stroke without adding engine height
• A secondary engine balancer, driven off a gear on the sixth web of the crankshaft, eliminates excess vibration and contributes to rider comfort
• NEW Shorter final drive gearing provides quicker acceleration and enhanced riding excitement, while a new taller 6th gear helps maintain highway comfort
• Digital Timing Advance enhances low-range and mid-range power
• Individual spark plug-mounted ignition coils fire each of the four spark plugs independently to achieve the optimum timing for that cylinder
• ECU includes an idle speed control system for easier starting and warm-up
UPGRADED Cool Air System
• Intake system routes cool air to the airbox via ducts in the fairing, minimizing performance loss due to heated intake air
• UPGRADED Airbox features additional atmospheric intakes to further enhance the engine’s intoxicating intake howl
• NEW Non-woven air filter element provides better flow for enhanced high-RPM performance
• REVISED Velocity stacks are now equal length and provide improved throttle response and a more exciting engine character
• Intake ducts are positioned close to the rider to allow the intake howl to be heard and enjoyed
UPGRADED Exhaust System
• The exhaust system features a 4-into-2-pre-chamber-into-2 layout to provide ample silencer volume without requiring excess bulk in the rear mufflers
• NEW Oval-shaped connector tubes are larger than last year’s round tubes and help improve engine response for heightened excitement at all rpms
• Main and pre-catalyzers help ensure clean emissions
• A butterfly valve in the right-side muffler not only helps reduce noise, but also tunes exhaust back-pressure waves to help enhance low-rpm engine response
• NEW Brushed-metal finish on the silencers provides enhanced visual appeal
• Exhaust system offers excellent mass centralization and contributes to a low center of gravity
NEW Larger Fuel Tank
• NEW 4.5 gallon (17L) fuel tank offers increased range
• Radical shape and two tone finish complement the Z1000’s new Sugomi inspired styling
• UPGRADED Slim type fuel pump features an integral fuel level sensor with enhanced accuracy for 2014
NEW Monobloc ABS Brakes with Petal-type Rotors
• NEW One-piece “monobloc” radial-mount front brake calipers offer superb braking power and control, along with a premium quality look from their laser-etched Kawasaki logo and black alumite finish
• Opposed four-piston radial-mount monobloc calipers with differentiated diameter (30mm upper, and 32mm lower) pistons provide excellent feel and progressive braking response
• A radial-pump front brake master cylinder contributes to the superb control and feel offered by these high-end monobloc calipers
• NEW ABS pump features a fluid pressure sensor that allows more precise control of line pressures and also provides data to the ECU to help suppress rear lift under braking
• A low-battery mode helps preserve ABS effectiveness when the battery charge is low. (although riders may notice that ABS operation is less smooth than in normal mode)
• Petal-type 310mm front brake rotors are full-on sportbike hardware
• NEW pad compound has a higher coefficient of friction that contributes to the enhanced power and sensitivity
• A single-piston rear caliper grips a 250mm petal-type disc. This compact caliper is mounted below the swingarm, and located by a torque rod
Aluminum Backbone Frame
• Aluminum backbone frame is similar in concept to the Ninja ZX-10R’s, and helps make the bike narrow and easy to grip with the knees for maximum rider comfort and feedback
• The frame is lightweight and highly rigid, and uses the engine as a stressed member for solid handling and optimum stability
• Frame elements are tuned to transmit optimal engine feedback to the rider
• The frame uses four engine mounts, three of which are rigid, one of which (the upper rear crankcase mount) is rubber
• NEW Compact subframe design is more slender and shorter to match the new styling
• The sub-frame is an example of form and function combined, negating the need for side covers and allowing underseat narrowness for a shorter reach to the ground
NEW Separate Function Fork – Big Piston: (SFF-BP)
• New SFF-BP fork combines the features of Showa’s big piston and separate function forks, featuring springs on both sides, with dedicated preload adjustability in the left tube and dedicated damping pistons and adjustability in the right tube
• Big Piston design provides smooth action during the initial part of the stroke and contributes to excellent feel during heavy braking. The large-diameter damper piston is much bigger than those used in traditional “cartridge” forks
• Big Piston design allows the fork oil to act on a much larger surface area, so the damping pressure can be reduced without compromising effectiveness. Reducing the damping pressure allows the slider to react more smoothly, which is especially noticeable during the initial part of the stroke. The result is greater control as the fork begins to compress and very calm response during braking-induced weight-transfer, for greater chassis stability on corner entry
• Fork settings were tuned to cope with the extreme forces of aggressive use, while still providing a comfortable ride
• SFF-BP design offers easy adjustability, by locating all adjusters in the caps at the top of the two fork tubes: preload on the left; compression and rebound damping on the right.
Horizontal Back-Link Rear Suspension
• Rear suspension design positions the shock unit and linkage above the swingarm where it’s less exposed to exhaust heat and contributes to mass centralization
• Stepless rebound damping adjuster allows damping characteristics to be tuned to match changes in spring preload and/or loads
• NEW A fat solid-mount tubular aluminum handlebar contributes to the Z1000’s quality, top-shelf feel
• Double-taper grips, like those used on supersport models, offer a more direct feel than traditional designs
• NEW Intricately textured seat cover features a distinct Z-logo pattern
• Ninja ZX-10R-style footpegs with knurled surfaces offer good grip, direct feel and control, and purposeful looks
• NEW Extremely compact dual-element digital instrumentation keeps the front of the motorcycle as compact and unobtrusive as possible, making the bike almost disappear from the rider’s field of vision
• NEW Dual element bar-graph tachometer with 0-4,000 rpm indicated vertically along the left edge of the lower display and a larger 4,000rpm+ tachometer filling the entire horizontal upper display
• NEW LCD functions include ABS and Economical Riding (ECO) indicators
• Additional LCD functions include a unique digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meter, clock, instant and average fuel consumption, coolant temperature, and low-fuel warning lamps
|Engine |Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four |
|Displacement |1,043cc |
|Bore x Stroke |77.0 x 56.0mm |
|Compression Ratio |11.8:1 |
|Fuel System |DFI® with four 38mm Keihin throttle bodies, oval sub-throttles |
|Ignition |TCBI with digital advance |
|Transmission |Six-Speed |
|Final Drive |X-Ring Chain |
|Rake/Trail |24.5 degrees / 4.0 in. |
|Frame Type |Aluminum Backbone |
|Front Tire Size |120/70 ZR17 |
|Rear Tire Size |190/50 ZR17 |
|Wheelbase| 56.5 in. |
|Front Suspension / Wheel Travel |41 mm inverted SFF-BP fork with stepless compression and rebound damping and spring preload adjustability / 4.7 in. |
|Rear Suspension/Wheel Travel |Horizontal monoshock with stepless rebound damping, remotely adjustable spring preload / 4.8 in. |
|Front brakes |Dual 310mm petal-type rotors with radial-mount four-piston monobloc calipers and ABS |
|Rear brakes |Single 250mm petal-type rotor with single-piston caliper and ABS |
|Fuel Capacity |4.5 gal. |
|Seat Height |32.1 in. |
|Curb Weight |487.3 lbs. |
|Overall Length |80.5 in. |
|Overall Width |31.1 in. |
|Overall Height |41.5 in. |
|Color(s) |Golden Blazed Green / Metallic Graphite Gray |
|Warranty |12 months |
|Good Times Protection Plan |12, 24, 36, and 48 month plans are availab