The Kawasaki KLX 140 is the perfect proof that small displacement bikes have all they need to go head to head with harsh terrains without baking down.
Easy to handle and light, the Kawasaki KLX 140 will reward its owner with a fun ride each time he jumps on its saddle.
At the heart of the Kawasaki KLX 140 sits a 144cc, four-stroke, SOHC, two-calve single engine which is mated on a five speed transmission with wet multi-disc manual clutch. The unit is brought to life by an electric starter.
Other notable features include a 30.7 inch seat height, a high-tensile steel perimeter frame and wide footpegs.
The front wheel is kept in check by a 33mm telescopic fork featuring optimally-tuned spring rate and damping settings. At the rear there is a Uni-Trak linkage-equipped rear shock featuring 5-way preload adjustability.
Hit the jump for more information on the Kawasaki KLX 140.
Capable, Multi-Function Dirtbike Combines User-Friendliness and High Performance
Tough enough to handle off-road adventure and adaptable enough for riders of any skill level to enjoy it: that’s the 2015 Kawasaki KLX®140 in a nutshell. The user-friendly electric starter conveniently brings to life a smooth and powerful 144cc four-stroke engine. And thanks to a moderate 30.7 inch seat height, both shorter and taller riders will fit on this fully-functional dirtbike.
The KLX140 is robust enough to tame the terrain and simple to operate. The electric power switch includes an internal LED to remind riders when the ignition is on, preventing accidental battery drain. Its engine is easily manageable via a forgiving and progressive manual clutch and five-speed, close-ratio transmission. The progressive clutch means that younger and beginning riders can more easily get the hang of shifting and clutch use, and half-clutch can be used at extremely low speeds to simplify the learning process while offering a direct feel and tremendous durability.
A high-tensile steel perimeter frame wraps around the KLX140’s high-revving engine, while KX™-like shrouds, a two-tone seat cover and sharp and aggressive body work complete the package. The roomy cockpit, overall control layout and narrow footpeg/frame relationship – including wide and comfortable footpegs – make it easy for riders to move around while aboard with a minimum of effort.
High level suspension including a 33mm telescopic fork featuring optimally-tuned spring rate and damping settings handles suspension duties up front. In back, a Uni-Trak® linkage-equipped rear shock featuring 5-way preload adjustability provides a smooth and controlled ride. To provide even greater options for growing riders, the KLX140L’s more advanced, reservoir-equipped shock easily fits the standard KLX140.
Aluminum rims from RK EXCEL and advanced braking components are another sign that this is a serious off-road motorcycle. A large, 220mm front disc and 27mm twin-piston caliper at the front and 186mm rear disc provide exceptional stopping power. Both utilize petal shaped rotors, which help clean the brakes and reduce unsprung weight for better suspension action.
Overall, the KLX140 delivers the perfect blend of size and performance, all of which equals big fun for kids and adults alike.
2015 Kawasaki KLX 140 Key Features:
• 144cc air-cooled, single-cylinder engine is simple to operate and to maintain
• Close-ratio 5-speed transmission makes optimum use of the engine’s power
• Progressive manual clutch offers new riders the chance to master clutch engagement and gear shifting
• Keyless electric starting via a starter button on the handlebar; an LED indicates when the power button is on to help prevent accidental battery drain
• Front 220mm petal disc and large-bore 27mm twin-piston caliper (same size as those on the KX™450F/250F) for strong and easy-to-control braking
• Quiet muffler is equipped with a USFS-approved spark arrester, meaning the KLX®140L can access designated public off-road riding areas
2015 Kawasaki KLX 140 Features and Benefits:
144cc Air-Cooled, Single-Cylinder Engine:
• Reliable and easy to use lightweight engine is simple to operate and maintain
• Engine revs easily and allows riders to use the engine’s full rpm range up to the rev limiter at 10,500 rpm
• Exhaust head pipe is curved to achieve optimum length for good power characteristics
• Quiet muffler is equipped with a USFS-approved spark arrester, meaning the KLX140 can access designated public off-road riding areas
• Air filter is washable, reusable, easily accessed and highly effective in dusty riding conditions
• Keyless electric starting via handlebar-mounted button
• Red LED light activates when the power button is depressed, indicating that power is “ON” to help prevent accidental battery drain
• Digital CDI ignition helps ensure quick, reliable starts
• Oval piston-valve Keihin PB20 carburetor features several Kawasaki-specified modifications to provide stable fuel delivery under rough off-road conditions
• Partitions in the float chamber keep the fuel from sloshing excessively, while an umbrella around the main jet traps fuel when riding on rough terrain or jumping
• Dual air vents help provide a stable fuel supply even when the bike is at extreme lean angles
• Needle valve is suspended on a spring, which acts like a shock absorber
• Float material is rubber instead of plastic
Close-Ratio 5-Speed Transmission:
• Close gear ratios help the acceleration performance of the KLX140
• Like the KX models, the shift lever a folding tip to help reduce the chance of bending if the bike tips over
Progressive Manual Clutch:
• Manual clutch offers young riders the chance to master clutch engagement and gear shifting
• Spring damper in the clutch provides a 2-stage engagement that permits half-clutch use when riding at extremely low rpm or idling speeds, and helps provide better clutch feel and durability
Box-Section Perimeter Frame:
• Ready for the off-road abuse, the highly rigid, KX-inspired high-tensile steel perimeter frame
• Aluminum swingarm is lightweight, strong and features a brushed finish just like the KX machines
• KX-style chain adjusters for ease of use and accurate chain adjustment
High Grade Suspension:
• 33mm telescopic fork has spring rates and damping settings specific to each model
• KLX140 rear shock features 5-way preload adjustability and a Uni-Trak® linkage
• More advanced KLX140L rear shock with reservoir can be mounted on the KLX140 for faster riders
• Strong, high-grade die-cast hubs offer the same durability as those on the KX models
• Durable and lightweight premium RK EXCEL aluminum rims are featured on the KLX’s 17-inch front/14-inch rear wheels
Petal Disc Brakes Front & Rear:
• Front 220mm petal disc and large-bore 27mm twin-piston caliper (same size as those on the KX450F/250F) offer strong and easy-to-control braking
• Rear brake uses a 186mm petal disc gripped by a 27mm single-piston caliper
• Rear brake master cylinder features a large-volume, unitized reservoir that contributes to stable braking and helps ensure sufficient fluid pressure, even when the brake pad wears down
• The wave shape of the petal discs help clean the brake pads for more efficient braking performance and reduce unsprung weight
• Flat-shaped box-section of frame, long footpegs mounted close to the bike’s centerline and no kick-start lever combine to offer riders better feel and control
• Footpeg/frame relationship is modeled after the KX models for maximum leg grip
• Handlebar is rubber-mounted to reduce vibration felt by the rider’s hands
• Two-piece upper triple clamp and handlebar mounts allow easy installation of aftermarket bars
• Raised pattern on half of the handgrip surface improves rider grip and comfort
• Two-tone seat cover has a slip-resistant top surface for improved grip and smooth sides for excellent rider mobility when standing
Sharp, Aggresive Bodywork Styling:
• Box-section perimeter frame features advanced styling similar to that of the KX racers
• Two-piece shrouds with ventilation holes for added air flow
• Fuel tank cover provides a smooth transition from tank to shroud, and contributes to the high level fit and finish
• Eye-catching box muffler design protrudes as little as possible from behind the side cover and features a plastic muffler end-cap that offers a surface that’s cooler to the touch than steel
|Engine||Four-stroke, SOHC, two-valve single|
|Bore x stroke||58.0 x 54.4mm|
|Brakes, rear||Single 186mm petal disc with single-piston caliper|
|Fuel system||Keihin PB20|
|Transmission||Five-speed with wet multi-disc manual clutch|
|Frame type||High-Tensile steel, box-section perimeter|
|Rake / trail||27 degrees / 3.3"|
|Front suspension / wheel travel||33mm telescopic fork / 7.1"|
|Rear suspension / wheel travel||Uni-Trak® linkage system and single shock with 5-way preload adjustability / 7.1"|
|Tire size, front||70/100-17|
|Tire size, rear||90/100-14|
|Brakes, front||Single 220mm petal disc with a dual-piston caliper|
|Curb weight||205.0 lb|
|Fuel capacity||1.5 gallon|
|Color choices||Lime Green|
|Kawasaki Protection Plus||12, 24, or 36 months|