When it comes to dirt bikes, the Kawasaki KLX 140L is considered by many one of the top players in its segment. And there is no wonder why, as it comes with first class components and a wide range of modern technologies which help it deal effortless with anything you ask of it.
Like any respectable off-roader, the Kawasaki KLX 140L sports long travel suspensions which offer 19 inch of wheel travel up front and 16 inches in the back.
The motorcycle also features a tall 31.5 in. seat height, electric starting, a progressive clutch and a Keihin PB20 carburetor.
The Kawasaki KLX 140L is powered by a 144cc, four-stroke, SOHC, two-valve single engine which is fueled by a 1.5 gallons fuel tank and is paired with a five speed transmission.
The engine is mounted on a high-tensile steel perimeter frame which is covered by KX-like shrouds, a two-tone seat cover and sharp, aggressive body work.
Hit the jump for more information on the Kawasaki KLX 140L.
The Next Step for Bigger KLX140 Riders
Beginning and experienced riders alike are drawn to the 2015 Kawasaki KLX®140L dirt bike, which offers a 19 inch wheel up front and 16 inches in the back – both fully two inches larger than the standard wheels of the off-road-worthy KLX140. Aside from rims, ergonomic comforts for larger riders are incorporated into the design of the 140L, including a taller 31.5 in. seat height, more performance-oriented suspension with a reservoir-type shock that larger and more experienced riders will warmly welcome.
The KLX140L offers convenient electric starting which is as simple as pressing the power switch and thumbing the start button. As a bonus, that same power switch includes an internal LED to remind riders when the ignition is on, preventing accidental battery drain. Its smooth and powerful 144cc four-stroke engine is easily manageable via a forgiving and progressive manual clutch and five-speed, close-ratio transmission. A progressive clutch means that beginning riders can more easily get the hang of shifting and clutch use, and half-clutch can be used at extremely low speeds to simplify the learning process while offering a direct feel and tremendous durability.
The high-revving engine of the KLX140L is wrapped in a high-tensile steel perimeter frame covered by KX™-like shrouds, a two-tone seat cover and sharp, aggressive body work. Overall control layout and narrow footpeg/frame relationship – including wide and comfortable footpegs – coupled to a roomy cockpit make it easy for riders to move around while aboard with a minimum of effort.
The KLX140L’s high grade suspension includes a 33mm telescopic fork featuring custom-tuned spring rate and damping settings to handle front suspension duty. In the rear, a Uni-Trak® linkage-equipped rear shock featuring 5-way preload adjustability, 4 way compression, 22 way rebound damping adjustment, and a remote reservoir providing better suspension control.
2015 Kawasaki KLX 140L Key Features:
• 144cc air-cooled, single-cylinder engine is simple to operate and to maintain
• Close-ratio 5-speed transmission makes optimum use of the engine’s power
• 31.5-inch seat height makes this the perfect mid-size off road bike
• Progressive manual clutch offers new riders the chance to master clutch engagement and gear shifting
• Rear shock with piggyback reservoir has fully adjustable preload, four-way compression damping and 22-way rebound damping
• Keyless electric starting via a starter button on the handlebar; an LED indicates when the power button is on to help prevent accidental battery drain
• Front 220mm petal disc and large-bore 27mm twin-piston caliper (same size as those on the KX™450F/250F) for strong and easy-to-control braking
• Quiet muffler is equipped with a USFS-approved spark arrester, meaning the KLX®140L can access designated public off-road riding areas
2015 Kawasaki KLX 140L Features and Benefits:
144cc Air-Cooled, Single-Cylinder Engine:
• Reliable and easy to use lightweight engine is both simple to operate and to maintain
• Engine revs easily and allows riders to use the full rpm range up to the 10,500 rpm rev limiter
• Exhaust head pipe is curved to achieve optimum length for good power character
• The quiet muffler is equipped with a USFS approved spark arrester, meaning the KLX140L can access designated public off-road riding areas
• Air-filter is washable, reusable, easily accessed and highly effective in dusty situations
• Starting is via a (keyless) electric starter button on the handlebar
• Red LED light activates when the power button is depressed, indicating that power is “ON”
• Digital CDI ignition helps ensure quick, reliable starts
• Oval piston-valve Keihin PB20 carburetor features several Kawasaki-original modifications to provide stable fuel delivery under rough off-road conditions
• Partitions in the float chamber keep the fuel from sloshing excessively and an umbrella around the main jet traps fuel when jumping
• Dual air vents help provide a stable fuel supply even when the bike is at extreme lean angles
• Needle valve is suspended on a spring that acts like a shock absorber
• Float material is rubber instead of plastic
Close-Ratio 5-Speed Transmission:
• Close gear ratios help the KLX140L’s acceleration performance
• Like the KX models, the shift lever features a folding tip to help reduce the chance of bending the lever if the bike tips over
Progressive Manual Clutch:
• Manual clutch offers beginning riders the chance to master clutch engagement and gear shifting
• A spring damper in the clutch gives it a 2-stage engagement that permits half-clutch use when riding at extremely low rpm or idling speeds, and helps provide direct clutch feel and better durability
Box-Section Perimeter Frame:
• Ready for off-road abuse, the highly rigid, KX™-inspired high-tensile steel perimeter frame
• Aluminum swingarm offers light weight, strength and a brushed finish like on the KX machines
• KX-style chain adjusters allow precise chain adjustments
High Grade Suspension:
• 33mm telescopic fork assembly has spring rates and damping settings specific to the 140L
• Intended for use at a quicker pace, the KLX140L features a Uni-Trak® linkage and a rear shock with a piggyback reservoir, fully adjustable spring preload, 4-way compression damping and 22-way rebound damping
• Strong, high-grade die-cast hubs offer the same durability as those found on the KX
• Durable, lightweight RK EXCEL aluminum rims on the 19-inch front and 16-inch rear wheels
Petal Disc Brakes Front & Rear:
• Front 220mm petal disc and large-bore 27mm twin-piston caliper (same size as those on the KX450F/250F) offer strong and easy-to-control braking
• Rear brake uses a 186mm petal disc gripped by a 27mm single-piston caliper
• Rear brake master cylinder features a large-volume, unitized reservoir that contributes to stable braking and helps ensure sufficient fluid pressure even when the brake pad wears down
• In addition to helping reduce unsprung weight, the wave shapes of the petal discs help clean the brake pads for more efficient braking performance
• Combination of the flat surface of the frame’s box-section, long footpegs mounted close to the bikes’ centerline and no kick-start lever add up to good grip and a high level of machine control
• Footpeg/frame relationship is modeled after the KX line for maximum leg grip
• Handlebar is rubber-mounted for reduced vibration felt by the rider’s hands
• Two-piece upper triple clamp and handlebar mounts foster easy aftermarket handlebar installation
• Raised pattern on half of the grip surface offers more control and comfort
• Two-tone seat cover has a slip-resistant top surface for good grip when seated and smooth sides for excellent rider mobility when standing
Sharp, Aggressive Bodywork Styling:
• Box-section perimeter frame features advanced styling similar to that found on the KX racers
• Two-piece shrouds inspired by the top-of-the-line KX race machines
• Fuel tank cover provides a flush transition from tank to shroud, and contributes to the bike’s high level of fit and finish
• Eye-catching box muffler design protrudes as little as possible from behind the side cover, and features a plastic muffler end-cap that offers a surface cooler to the touch than steel
|Engine||Four-stroke, SOHC, two-valve single|
|Bore x stroke||58.0 x 54.4mm|
|Fuel system||Keihin PB20|
|Transmission||Five-speed with wet multi-disc manual clutch|
|Frame type||High-Tensile steel, box-section perimeter|
|Rake / trail||27 degrees / 3.8"|
|Fuel capacity||1.5 gallon|
|Front suspension / wheel travel||33mm telescopic fork / 7.1"|
|Rear suspension / wheel travel||Uni-Trak® linkage system and single shock with piggyback reservoir, fully adjustable preload and 22-way rebound damping / 7.1"|
|Tire size, front||70/100-19|
|Tire size, rear||90/100-16|
|Brakes, front||Single 220mm petal disc with a dual-piston caliper|
|Brakes, rear||Single 186mm petal disc with single-piston caliper|
|Curb weight||209.4 lb|
|Color choices||Lime Green|
|Kawasaki Protection Plus||12, 24, or 36 months|