The 2012 Suzuki DR650SE wants us to think that it’s a bike that comes with a new style and the civilized capabilities of a street bike with the hard-charging performance and exceptional handling of a dirt bike. To that, we believe every last word the Suzuki is saying.
The DR650SE is a versatile motocross bike with a high-performance engine hardcore riders enjoy. Combine that with a chassis and a suspension set-up that takes cues from its super moto and motocross heritage, and you have a machine that can tackle just about every imaginable surface.
At the heart of the DR650SE is a compact and powerful 644cc, SOHC, four-stroke, air-cooled, engine that features Suzuki’s Advanced Cooling System (SACS). Piston-jet cooling and an engine oil cooler that further enhances the bike’s consistent and all-world performance capabilities in a wide variety of conditions. Likewise, the engine has been tuned with an emphasis on powerful performance at low-to-mid RPM range while a gear-driven single counter balancer system minimizes engine vibration for comfortable ride. Finally, a smooth-shifting wide-ratio 5-speed transmission is complemented by an O-ring sealed final drive chain.
To go with its impressive engine credentials, the Suzuki DR650SE also handles like a true pro, highlighted by innovative cartridge front forks that provide smooth and progressive action. The bike also has a link-type rear suspension with a piggyback-style shock absorber and adjustable compression damping to give stable damping performance with front and rear suspensions, both of which provide 10.2" of wheel travel for superb performance over rough terrain.
On the road and off the road, the DR650SE shines like the sun on a hot summer day. Its unique blend of top-end performance with superior handling and all-around versatility make it a bike that’s well worth your affection.
Find out more about the Suzuki DR650SE after the jump.
- A compact, powerful 644cc, SOHC, four-stroke, air-cooled, engine features Suzuki Advanced Cooling System (SACS). Piston-jet cooling and an engine oil cooler further enhance consistent performance in a variety of conditions. The engine is tuned with an emphasis on powerful performance at low-to-mid RPM range.
- Gear-driven single counter balancer system minimizes engine vibration for comfortable ride.
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM) coated aluminum cylinder is used for durability, weight reduction and superior heat transfer.
- A convenient electric starter (combined with a mechanical automatic decompression system) provides easy, quick starting. The system is powered by a lightweight and compact low-maintenance battery.
- A Mikuni 40mm carburetor enhances throttle response and overall engine performance.
- A painted stainless-steel exhaust system is light and corrosion-resistant, and tuned specifically for strong low and midrange power.
A smooth-shifting wide-ratio 5-speed transmission is complemented by an O-ring sealed final drive chain.
- Innovative cartridge front forks combine the best features of conventional and inverted designs, providing smooth and progressive action. Large diameter, thin-walled tubes reduce unsprung weight while maintaining high rigidity.
- A link-type rear suspension with piggyback-style shock absorber and adjustable compression damping provides stable damping performance.
- Front and rear suspensions both provide long 260mm (10.2-inch) wheel travel for superb performance over rough terrain.
- Lightweight 290mm (11.4-inch) front floating disc brake with two-piston caliper and 240mm (9.4-inch) rear disc brake with two-piston caliper provide reliable stopping power.
- Hollow-type wheel axles and an aluminum swingarm reduce unsprung weight.
- The seat height can be lowered 40mm (1.6-inch) with suspension modifications performed by a dealer.
- Available in new Solid Iron Gray
- A short wheelbase and low seat height provide nimble performance on or off road.
- A lightweight, compact, rigid semi-double cradle frame provides agile handling on and off road. Use of thin-wall/large-diameter tubing reduces weight while increasing frame rigidity.
|Displacement||644cc, 4-stroke, air-cooled, single cylinder, OHC|
|Fuel System||MIKUNI BST40, single|
|Ignition||Electronic ignition (CDI)|
|Overall Length||2255 mm (88.8 in), Low 2235 (88.0 in)|
|Overall Width||865 mm (34.1 in)|
|Wheelbase||1490 mm (58.7 in), Low 1475 mm (58.1 in)|
|Ground Clearance||265 mm (10.4 in), Low 225 mm (8.9 in)|
|Seat Height||885 mm (34.8 in), Low 845 mm (33.0 in)|
|Curb Weight||166 kg (366 lbs)|
|Transmission||5-speed constant mesh|
|Final Drive||Chain, DID525V9, 110 links|
|Suspension Front||Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped|
|Suspension Rear||Link type, coil spring, oil damped|
|Brakes Front||Disc brake|
|Brakes Rear||Disc brake|
|Tires Front||90/90-21 M/C 54S, tube type|
|Tires Rear||120/90-17 M/C 64S, tube type|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||13.0 L (3.4 US gallons)|
|Fuel Tank Capacity CA||12.0 L (3.2 US gallons)|
|Color||Solid Iron Gray|
Cycle World----"Off-road or on the street, the DR-Z400S provides strong torque across the powerband and amazing throttle response. And it features remarkably smooth performance, complemented by conveniences such as electric starting and a compact, easy-to-read instrument cluster."