Even the best motocross riders in the world will tell you: if you ever want to become good at the sport, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up.
When talking about a bike that can give you that introductory feel, the Suzuki RM85 is a pretty good choice. Nothing about this bike screams power and all-world performance - and that’s a good thing. The appeal, as far as the RM85 is concerned, is manifested in its simple and reliable offering of high-quality design, optimum performance, and sturdy durability.
At the heart of the RM85 is a relatively light, albeit highly effective 84.7cc, 2-stroke, liquid-cooled, reed-valve engine that has a bore and stroke of 48.0mm x 46.8mm. The cylinder on the engine comes with the Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM), further enhancing its durability, weight reduction, and effective heat transfer for superior class performance. The engine set-up also comes with a Keihin PE28 carburetor that provides smooth throttle response, while a digital CDI map has been fitted to provide optimum engine performance at higher rpms.
Even novice bikes like the RM85 need to be equipped with superior handling characteristics to be considered an effective dirt bike. A tubular steel frame and thick wall aluminum swing arm comes with class-leading performance on the track, especially in the corners. In designing the frame, Suzuki wanted to build one that not only increased rigidity, but also increased its durability and straight-line performance. Showa 37mm inverted front and rear forks were also fitted in which come with a cartridge damping system with fully-adjustable rebound damping and 20-way adjustable compression damping.
With all these elements in tow, the Suzuki RM85 is an ideal start-up motocross bike to get all the young ones acclimated in the sport. Even the pros will tell you that if you want to learn the ropes, you have to start simple.
Find out more about the Suzuki RM85 after the jump.
- The RM85’s high-revving 84.7cc, 2-stroke, liquid-cooled, reed-valve engine has a bore and stroke of 48.0mm x 46.8mm. The cylinder features Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM) for durability, weight reduction and effective heat transfer for superior class performance.
- A Keihin PE28 carburetor provides smooth throttle response and is designed for simplified maintenance.
- The exhaust valves are made of aluminum to best match the expansion rate of the cylinder itself, improve sealing.
- The RM85’s exhaust valve governor and actuator helps provide good throttle response and overall tractability.
- A digital CDI map helps provide strong engine performance at higher rpms.
- The RM85 comes with a large-capacity radiator for efficient engine cooling.
- The RM85 is equipped with a smooth shifting six-speed transmission. The transmission features a fully worked-out shift mechanism including a strong shift-drum detent spring and needle bearing on the left side of the shift drum. A knurled shift-pedal tip delivers excellent grip and shift feel.
- A tubular steel frame and thick wall aluminum swingarm provides class-leading performance on the track, especially in the corners. The frame was designed for increased rigidity, durability and straight-line performance; it features large diameter tubing in key areas and a large front reinforcement plate.
- Showa 37mm inverted front forks are completely adjustable for rider weight, style and ability. The forks feature a cartridge damping system with fully-adjustable rebound damping and 20-way adjustable compression damping (also included are fork guards to protect the inner fork tubes). The front forks offer 275mm (10.8-inches) of travel.
- A Showa rear shock absorber, with large diameter shock body, is designed and properly valved to produce a plush feel and increase bottoming resistance. The Showa rear shock provides 277mm (10.9-inches) of wheel travel.
- The RM85 comes with a twin-piston caliper front brake with 220mm (8.7-inches) large-diameter disc and a rear brake with 200mm (7.9-inches) disc to provide excellent braking performance.
- The RM85 also comes with a light, narrow-diameter front and rear brake hose. The font brake hose is routed behind the fork leg, eliminating the need for a brake hose cover, which helps reduce weight.
- A rigid rear brake caliper provides reliable braking performance, long pad life and is easy to maintain.
- A plastic rear brake caliper guard reduces the possibility of deformation and saves weight as well.
- The RM85’s forged aluminum-alloy rear brake pedal gives the rider accurate braking feel.
- The RM85’s footpegs are made of cast chrome-molybdenum steel, instead of stamped steel, which makes them more durable with better grip.
- A long clutch lever makes it easy to accurately locate and work the engagement point during starts and when clutching off at corners.
- Each side of the RM85’s seat has textured surface for better knee gripping.
- The RM85’s wheel sizes meet AMA 85cc class regulations (Front: 70/100-17; Rear: 90/100-14).
|Bore Stroke||48 x 46.8mm|
|Engine||84.7cc, 2-stroke, liquid-cooled|
|Fuel System||KEIHIN PE28, single|
|Ignition||Electronic ignition (CDI)|
|Lubrication||Fuel/Oil premixture of 30:1|
|Overall Length||1805 mm (71.1 in)|
|Overall Width||735 mm (28.9 in)|
|Overall Height||1240 mm (43.3 in)|
|Wheelbase||1240 mm (48.8 in)|
|Ground Clearance||325 mm (12.8 in)|
|Seat Height||850 mm (33.5 in)|
|Curb Weight||73 kg (161 lbs)|
|Transmission||6-speed constant mesh|
|Final Drive||Chain, D.I.D. 428DS, 118 links|
|Suspension Front||Telescopic, pneumatic/coil spring, oil damped|
|Suspension Rear||Link type, coil spring, oil damped|
|Brakes Front||Disc brake|
|Brakes Rear||Disc brake|
|Tires Front||70/100-17 40M, tube type|
|Tires Rear||90/100-14 49M, tube type|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||5.0 L (1.3 US gallons)|
Motorcycle USA----"The Suzuki RM85 is equipped with a two-stroke engine that produces smooth power at any rpm with an emphasis on low- to mid-range performance. It also has a Keihin PE28 carburetor which provides smooth throttle response and is designed for simplified maintenance while the RM85 comes with a large-capacity radiator for efficient engine cooling."