The 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS was built with the idea of being the "Comfortable Adventure Tourer." Thanks to across-the-board improvements done on the bike by Suzuki , you could make a case that it’s become more than what it was being described to be.
Of the many new elements given to the 2012 model of the V-Strom 650 ABS, the most notable is arguably its new 645cc V-Twin engine that features broad torque delivery, signature V-Twin power pulses, and sporty quick-revving high rpm range power surges for full-range riding enjoyment. The V-Strom’s new engine also comes with a high-speed 32-bit ECU that controls Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV) system, contributing to enhanced low-to-mid rpm range torque, a linear throttle response and lower emissions for a bike that performs as well as it does. Joining the V-Strom 650’s impressive new powertrain is a six-speed transmission that’s been tailored for active sporty rides with a tighter 1st through 5th gear ratios.
Meanwhile, handling is also a key ingredient in the V-Strom 650 ABS concoction, beginning with a lightweight and rigid twin-spar aluminum-alloy frame and swingarm, all of which contribute to smooth handling performance and excellent stability at high-speeds. The bike also features 5-way spring-preload-adjustable 43mm-telescopic front forks with 5.9" of travel working with a link-type rear suspension with 6.3" of wheel travel, stepless rebound damping adjuster, and a 5-way spring preload adjuster that can be adjusted by simply turning a knob, allowing the rider to set the ride depending on his taste and preferences.
Find out more about the Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS after the jump.
- 645cc V-Twin engine features broad torque delivery, signature V-Twin power pulses and sporty quick-revving high rpm range power surges for full-range riding enjoyment. An efficient engine design delivers high mileage and class-leading riding range.
- A high-speed 32-bit ECU controls Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV) system, contributing to enhanced low-to-mid rpm range torque, a linear throttle response and lower emissions.
- The V-Strom 650 ABS has a high-mounted stainless steel exhaust system with aluminum muffler that is tuned to enhance engine torque and low-to-midrange performance.
- The V-Strom 650 ABS fuel injection system uses fine-atomization 10-hole fuel injectors for high combustion efficiency.
- Twin iridium spark plugs for each cyclinder heighten the spark strength and combustion efficiency, contributing to increased power, a more linear throttle response, easier engine start-up and a more stable idle.
- A radiator with a more compact core, flanked by wind-directing plates shaped with holes for enhancing cooling efficiency, directing engine heat to flow out to the side air outlets and away from the rider’s legs. (*Patent pending.)
- Suzuki-developed and patented Throttle-body Integrated Idle Speed Control (TI-ISC) contributes to easy cold starting, stable idle and lower emissions.
- The 6-speed transmission is tailored for active sporty rides with tighter 1st through 5th gear ratios, while keeping highway cruises comfortable with a tall top gear.
- Lightweight and rigid twin-spar aluminum-alloy frame and swingarm contribute to smooth handling performance and excellent stability at high-speeds.
- The V-Strom 650 ABS features 5-way spring-preload-adjustable 43mm-telescopic front forks with 5.9 inches of travel working with a link-type rear suspension with 6.3 inches of travel, stepless rebound damping adjuster and 5-way spring preload adjuster which can be increased or decreased by turning a knob providing a ride that suits the rider preference for comfort.
- 19-inch front and 17-inch rear radial tires specifically designed for the V-Strom 650 ABS.
- Front dual 310mm-disc brakes and rear 260mm-disc brake deliver smooth, controllable stopping power. Expansion-resistant high-pressure brake hose enhances the responsive brake feel.
- Antilock Brake System (ABS)* unit features a lightweight, compact design. The ABS monitors wheel speed, and matches stopping power to available traction.
- The sporty, dynamic front fairing houses compact dual multi-reflector headlight delivering superb light distribution.
- A 3-way height-adjustable windscreen, carefully shaped with extensive wind tunnel testing, efficiently reduces wind noise and rider fatigue.
- The V-Strom 650 ABS features a comfortable riding position, thanks to its well-shaped seat. A slim 5.3 gallon fuel tank and compactly tucked-in frame covers make the rider feel at one with the machine.
- The V-Strom 650 ABS seat combines red-stitched leather-look sections and suede-look, slip-resistant surfaces, and is topped off with an embossed V-Strom logo.
- A lightweight, one-piece, resin luggage carrier with well-shaped, easy-to-grasp grab bars comes with a slip-resistant rubber mat.
- Instrumentation includes an analog tachometer and brightness-adjustable LCD speedometer. LCD readouts include odometer, dual trip meter, gear position, coolant and ambient temperature, average fuel consumption, fuel gauge and clock. Switching between LCD readings can be done with the left handlebar switch.
- LED indicators include a road freeze warning indicator, which, together with the ambient temperature display, helps riders’ awareness of road conditions.
The V-Strom 650 Antilock Brake System (ABS)* unit features a lightweight, compact design. The ABS monitors wheel speed, and matches stopping power to available traction.
Compact, slim styling featuring a vivid combination of expressive painted sections and functional black resin components accentuates the sporty profile. Colors available: Metallic Fox Orange; Glass Sparkle Black
LED indicators include a road freeze warning indicator which, together with the ambient temperature display, helps riders’ awareness of road conditions.
3-way height-adjustable windscreen, carefully shaped with extensive wind tunnel testing, efficiently reduces wind noise and rider fatigue.
*Please note that ABS is a supplemental device for brake operation, not a device for shortening stopping distance. Always remember to reduce speed sufficiently before approaching curves and corners.
|Displacement||645 cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 90° V-Twin|
|Fuel System||Suzuki fuel injection|
|Ignition||Electronic ignition (transistorized)|
|Overall Length||2,290 mm (90.2 in)|
|Overall Width||835 mm (32.9 in)|
|Overall Height||1,405 mm (55.3 in)|
|Wheelbase||1,560 mm (61.4 in)|
|Ground Clearance||175 mm (6.9 in)|
|Seat Height||835 mm (32.9 in)|
|Curb Weight||214 kg (472 lbs)|
|Transmission||6-speed constant mesh|
|Suspension Front||Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped|
|Suspension Rear||Link type, coil spring, oil damped|
|Brakes Front||Disc brake, twin|
|Brakes Rear||Disc brake|
|Tires Front||110/80R19M/C 59H|
|Tires Rear||150/70R17M/C 69H|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||20.0 L (5.3 / 4.4 US / Imp gal)|
|Color||Metallic Fox Orange and Glass Sparkle Black|
Motorcycle USA----"Valves are larger, with 31mm intake and 25.5mm exhaust, and actuated by revised cam profiles. The crankshaft is new too, as are the iridium plugs. Cylinders get the Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material-plated (SCEM) treatment, PR speak that promises reduced friction and improved abrasion resistance. All the revisions claim an improvement in low to mid-range torque production. Suzuki’s dyno comparison with the preceding model also reveal a more robust top end."