- Horsepower @ RPM:
- Torque @ RPM:
- 865 L
For 2006 the parallel twin-cylinder Scrambler adds a new twist to the Modern Classics range and is a fresh take on some iconic bikes from Triumph’s past. It’s a redefinition of the bikes made famous by 50’s thrill-seekers such as Steve McQueen, into a contemporary urban context.
The Scrambler’s 865cc, DOHC, eight-valve, air-cooled engine uses a 270° crank firing interval for a smooth and torquey power delivery. With a bore and stroke of 90x68mm and compression ratio of 9.2:1 the engine also features twin carburettors with throttle position sensors. Peak power of 55PS arrives at 7,000rpm (with maximum torque of 69Nm available at 5,000rpm) and is fed to the rear wheel via a five-speed gearbox and chain final drive.
Using a sturdy tubular steel cradle frame and long-travel suspension front and rear - 41mm telescopic forks and twin chromed spring preload-adjustable rear shocks - the Scrambler is built tough, to iron out the bumps. Its high, wide handlebars and high-set footpegs further aid control and low-speed manoeuvrability.
The wheels are spoked and sized 19 x 2.5in (front) and 17 x 3.5in (rear). Both wear lightly-knobbled tyres in sizes 100/90-19 and 130/80-17. Twin piston calipers are used for both brakes, the front working a single 310mm disc, the rear a 255mm disc. Steering geometry is set at 27.6° of rake with 103mm of trail with a wheelbase of 1480mm. The Scrambler has a dry weight of 205kg.
Fittingly, for such an individual machine a whole range of Triumph Factory accessories will be available for the Scrambler, all of which enhance its looks as well as adding functionality. They include a skid plate to protect the underneath of the engine, headlamp grille, number boards for the sides, tachometer, handlebar brace and a single seat and rack. Two paint schemes - Caspian Blue/White and Tornado Red/White underscore its retro appeal.
The Scrambler, like its forbears, has a distinct look, feel and personality all its own. It offers iconic style, genuine usability and above all a great escape (pun intended…) from the hum drum of every day.
2006 Triumph Scrambler Specifications
- Type - Air-cooled, DOHC, parallel-twin, 270° firing interval
- Capacity - 865cc
- Bore/Stroke - 90 x 68mm
- Compression Ratio - 9.2:1
- Fuel System - Twin carburetors with throttle position sensor and electric carburetor heaters
- Ignition - Digital - inductive type
- Primary Drive - Gear
- Final Drive - X ring chain
- Clutch - Wet, multi-plate
- Gearbox - 5-speed
- Frame - Tubular steel cradle
- Swingarm - Twin-sided, tubular steel
- Front Wheel - 36-spoke, 19 x 2.5in
- Rear Wheel - 40-spoke, 17 x 3.5in
- Front Tyre - Front 100/90 19
- Rear Tyre - 130/80 17
- Front Suspension - Front 41mm forks
- Rear Suspension - Chromed spring twin shocks with adjustable preload
- Front Brakes - Single 310mm disc, 2 piston caliper
- Rear Brakes - Single 255mm disc, 2 piston caliper
- Length - 2213mm (87.1in)
- Width (Handlebars) - 865mm (34.1in)
- Height - 1202mm (47.3in)
- Seat Height - 825mm (32.5in)
- Wheelbase - 1500mm (59.1in)
- Rake/Trail - 27.8°/105mm
- Weight (Dry) - 205kg (451lbs)
- Fuel Tank Capacity - 16.6 liters (4.4 gal US)
Performance (Measured at crankshaft to DIN 70020)
- Maximum Power - 55PS (54bhp) at 7,000 rpm
- Maximum Torque - 69Nm (51ft.lbf) at 5,000 rpm
- White/Tangerine, Jet Black/Red
- $7,999 MSRP