- Horsepower @ RPM:
- Torque @ RPM:
- 865 L
The past is a glorious place to visit, for a brief time at least. But the past can also teach us much and one lesson has stood the passage of time - that the raw essence of motorcycling transcends all technology. And all that’s really needed, for many, are an engine, two wheels and a pair of handlebars.
A fact the Thruxton 900 proved so elegantly. Drawing on the Spartan cafe racing machines of the sixties and taking its name from the near-mythic racing Triumphs from the same era, its 865cc, air-cooled, twin-cylinder engine looks and feels like a motorcycle engine should - real. Wrapping the motor is a precisely crafted chassis that inspires confidence, thanks to fine-tuned suspension and delivers total control, thanks to quick steering and powerful brakes.
The Thruxton 900’s silhouette sends nape hairs instantly on end; the steeply angled clip-on handlebars, rear-set footpegs and evocative seat hump connect the past with the present.
The Thruxton’s 865cc, twin cylinder power plant is the most powerful of Triumph’s twin-cylinder line up. It shares the Bonnie’s 360° firing interval but adds ’hot’ camshaft profiles, a compression ratio of 10.2:1 and megaphone-style exhausts. Peak power output of 70PS is delivered at 7,250rpm and peak torque of 72Nm arrives at 5,750rpm.
Wrapping the motor is a precisely crafted chassis that inspires confidence and delivers a real sporting character. The sturdy, spring preload adjustable, 41mm telescopic forks and twin rear shocks give superb suspension action and compliance. Sharper steering geometry, a wheelbase of 1477mm and an 18inch front wheel aids steering input. A fully floating 320mm front disc and twin-piston brake caliper provide powerful, controllable braking performance.
Three colour options are available - Jet Black, Racing Yellow and Caspian Blue - and all feature a chequered flag tank graphic and silver mudguards. A comprehensive range of accessories, including less restrictive silencers, fly screen, soft luggage and various chrome additions further enhance the Thruxton’s scope for owner involvement and personalisation.
Triumph Thurxton 900 Specifications
- Type - Air-cooled, DOHC, parallel-twin, 360 degree firing interval
- Capacity - 865cc
- Bore/Stroke - 90 x 68mm
- Compression Ratio - 9.2:1
- Fuel System - Twin carburetors with throttle position sensor and electric carburetor heaters
- Ignition - Digital - inductive type
- Primary Drive - Gear
- Final Drive - X ring chain
- Clutch - Wet, multi-plate
- Gearbox - 5-speed
- Frame - Tubular steel cradle
- Swingarm - Twin-sided, tubular steel
- Front Wheel - 36-spoke, 18 x 2.5in
- Rear Wheel - 40-spoke, 17 x 3.5in
- Front Tyre - 100/90 18
- Rear Tyre - 130/80 R17
- Front Suspension - 41mm forks with adjustable preload
- Rear Suspension - Chromed spring twin shocks with adjustable preload
- Front Brakes - Single 320mm floating disc, 2 piston caliper
- Rear Brakes - Single 255mm disc, 2 piston caliper
- Length - 2150mm (84.6in)
- Width (Handlebars) - 695mm (27.4in)
- Height - 1095mm (43.1in)
- Seat Height - 790mm (31.1in)
- Wheelbase - 1490mm (56.7in)
- Rake/Trail - 27 degree/97mm
- Weight (Dry) - 205kg (451lbs)
- Fuel Tank Capacity - 16 liters (4.2 gal US)
Performance (Measured at crankshaft to DIN 70020)
- Maximum Power - 70PS (69bhp) at 7,200 rpm
- Maximum Torque - 72Nm (53ft.lbf) at 6,400rpm
- Jet Black/Silver, Racing Yellow/Silver, Caspian Blue/Silver
- $7999 MSRP