2006 Yamaha FZ1
REAL WORLD HIGH PERFORMANCE!
The world’s best streetfighter is all new for 2006, blending exceptional style and character with open-class performance like only Yamaha can.
- All-new FZ1 is more powerful, nine pounds lighter, great handling, tougher and just plain cooler.
- All-new compact aluminum frame, current-generation fuel-injected R1 engine, standout styling and more aggressive naked-bike stance guarantee excitement.
- Adjustable suspension at both ends lets the FZ1 be dialed in for a wide range of uses—everything from track days to urban assault to sport touring.
- Current generation 998cc DOHC 20-valve R1 engine is tuned for tremendous mid-range punch.
- R1-style fuel injection with computer-controlled sub-throttle valves provides precise fuel/air mixture for superb power delivery across the entire rev range.
- Closed-deck cylinder block provides great strength while allowing a narrow engine in spite of big, 77mm bores.
- Narrow-angle five-valve combustion chambers produce a highly efficient 11.5:1 compression ratio. Big valves and high-lift cams flow plenty of air.
- Carburized connecting rods with fractured big ends produce a quick-revving engine with excellent high-rpm durability.
- Four-into-one chamberless short-style exhaust contains stainless steel EXUP and three-way catalyst with O2 sensor for outstanding power delivery throughout the rev range and low emissions.
- High silicon-content ceramic-composite cylinder sleeves ensure great heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced friction.
- Curved high-capacity radiator with twin ring-style fans keeps everything cool under all conditions.
- Aggressive chassis geometry for quick handling: the engine’s carried 1.3 inches farther forward for excellent handling.
- More aggressive ergos: new 4.75-gallon tank is 2.5 inches shorter and shaped to move the rider forward into a position of total control—supersport-like 51 percent front wheel weight bias means confident, quick handling.
- All-new 52-percent-lighter aluminum frame uses a special mold casting technique that allowed engineers to minutely vary metal thicknesses for optimal rigidity throughout.
- Stressed-engine design holds the engine in place with six mounts, for excellent vertical stiffness and handling.
- Two-inch longer and more rigid Controlled Fill aluminum swingarm reduces drive chain-induced suspension movement for excellent handling, tire grip and looks.
- 43mm fully adjustable inverted fork contains compression damping circuitry in the left leg and rebound in the right— proven effective on the YZR-M1 MotoGP bike—as well as stiffer springs for excellent handling.
- Two 320mm front discs squeezed by monoblock four-piston calipers and a 2mm bigger master cylinder for strong stopping power; 20-percent lighter, 245mm rear disc with thicker pads for longer life.
- Removable subframe for easy maintenance, and detachable passenger footpeg mounts for even more stripped-down style.
- Lighter (10-percent front, 8-percent rear) R1-spec five-spoke wheels and fat radial tires, including a 190/50-ZR17 rear, complete the look.
- Fairing features a half-cowl design with R1-style headlight layout that creates a super-aggressive naked bike profile.
- Restyled high-tech instrument display features analog tachometer, digital speedometer, etc.—also a fade-in lighting feature with adjustable brightness.
- Two-piece seat serves up great comfort along with total control.
- Passenger grabrails for riding comfort.
- Durable O-ring-sealed drive chain provides longer chain life.
- Dual 12V 60/55-watt multireflector headlight features a sleek, R1-type profile for superb aerodynamics and visibility.
- Standard toolkit located in convenient storage compartment under passenger seat.