For traditionalis tough guys and gals, the Grizzly 700 FI is also available without EPS. It’s got all the other big-Grizzly features along with every bit of its durability and comfort... all at a price that makes this the most affordable bear in the wild.
Yamaha Grizzly History
The Grizzly 600 4x4 ATV with Ultramatic transmission was introduced in 1998.
The Grizzly 600 brought a new standard of performance, comfort and ease of use to the Utility ATV market with its high torque 595cc engine(the largest engine ever placed in a utility ATV, at the time) and revolutionary Ultramatic transmission. Among the "firsts" on the Grizzly 600 were automatic engine compression braking and push button On Command 2WD/4Wd selection.
1998 Yamaha Grizzly 600 4x4 SPECS:
Engine Type: 4-Stroke, SOHC, Single
Bore X Stroke: 95 x 84mm
Carburetion: Mikuni 40mm
Transmission: HI/Lo/Rev. Ultramatic
- Front: MacPherson Strut; 6.3" travel
- Rear: Swingarm with Monoshock; 7.5" travel
- Front: AT25 x 8 - 12
- Rear: AT25 x 10 - 10
Wheelbase: 49.4" (1,255mm)
Ground Clearance: 10.6" (269mm)
In 2002, Grizzly 660 raised the bar for Utility 4x4 ATV performance and conveninece by outdooring the first Push Button Front Differential Lock feature. The Grizzly also features liquid-cooling and the first Yamaha Independent Rear Suspension system.
2002 Yamaha Grizzly 660 SPECS:
Engine Type: 4-Stroke, SOHC, 5-Valved, Liquid-cooled
Bore X Stroke: 95 x 84mm
Carburetion: Mikuni BSR 42mm CV
Transmission: Hi/Lo/Rev./Park, Ultramatic™ w/engine braking
- Front: Double Wishbone; 7.1" travel
- Rear: Swingarm with Monoshock; 9.5" travel
- Front: AT25 x 8 - 12
- Rear: AT25 x 10 - 10
Wheelbase: 50.2" (1,275mm)
Ground Clearance: 11.8" (300mm)
After testing this beast, I’m able to say just one thing: This Baby Rocks!!! This is an awesome machine, it is everything that it was said to be and then some. It starts easy, runs great, and will surprise you on the throttle. This machine is unstoppable. I can’t say enough, not a perfect rating yet, only because it’s new. It’s good for endless wheelies and regarding the top speed, the maximum I got is about 62mph on the speedo (haven’t held it to the bar for long).
The power is unbelievable, it’s like riding a snowmobile when taking off. WHAT A THRILL. I thought for sure it wouldn’t compare to the Brute Force’s power but it actually comes close. It doesn’t have the bottom end but is comparable everywhere else along the power band. The suspension is ultra comfortable and the seat is heaven. A mere test drive at the dealer is not enough to showcase what this ATV can do. I did experience the so called gas boiling but after the pressure was released from the tank, I stuck my finger in the tank and the gas was cool. IT’S NOT BOILING; it’s just a venting issue. The one I had tested also purred along all weekend and never once stalled. I know others have expressed concern over both issues. I was not a huge Yamaha fan prior to owning this ATV, now I would do anything to own a Grizzly 700FI. I only have one question for the engineers at Yamaha..... What took you so long?
- I’ve heard the complaints about stalling at low speeds, again, I’ve never seen it happen.
- There are very few aftermarket parts available but that’s obviously going to happen since it’s all new for 2008.
There! You see, there isn’t anything to complain about. So, I guess this is by far the best ATV on the market today, I don’t care if competitors have twin engines or not, there is no comparison. I’d highly recommend it to anyone, what a blast!
- Most powerful Grizzly ever: 686cc liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine and light weight add up to the best power-to-weight ratio of any utility model in the industry.
- Electronic fuel injection means instantaneous cold starts and optimal performance in all conditions and at all altitudes.
- Industry-exclusive, fully automatic Ultramatic® transmission is the most advanced drive system in ATVing. An automatic centrifugal clutch maintains constant belt tension for reduced belt wear and industry-exclusive all-wheel downhill engine braking.
- Industry-exclusive, three-position On-Command® In/Out 4WD feature lets you switch between 2WD, limited-slip 4WD and fully locked differential 4WD—all with the simple push of a button.
- Fully independent long-travel four-wheel suspension with WideArc A-arms up front and five-way preload-adjustable shocks provides maximum ground clearance for unparalleled comfort over rough terrain.
- Trick digital instrument panel boasts a multifunction LCD display with speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeters, hourmeter, 4WD status, transmission position, clock and fuel gauge.
- Raptor-based four-valve combustion chamber design produces a potent combination of low-rev torque, right-now throttle response and high horsepower.
- Compact engine design features a 35-degree cylinder angle for ground clearance and lower seat height for quick steering and maneuverability.
- Electronic fuel injection provides a perfect fuel/air mixture regardless of temperature or altitude, and makes cold starts a snap.
- Gear-driven crankshaft balancer shaft and new-design rubber-damper engine mounts reduce vibration.
- Ceramic-composite cylinder liners provide outstanding durability and heat dissipation; forged piston is light and strong and rides a carburized, chrome-moly connecting rod.
- Two-lobe overhead cam and a pair of needle-roller rocker arms reduce friction by 50 percent for increased fuel efficiency and torque.
- Mikuni fuel injection with 44mm bore and throttle position sensor means easy cold starts and flawless fuel delivery in nearly any condition.
- Pushbutton electric starting with seven-disk torque-limiting damper assembly to protect the starter motor.
- Straight driveshaft layout to the front differential eliminates U-joints for reduced friction, vibration and maintenance.
- Stainless steel exhaust system features aluminum heat shields and a screen-type spark arrestor for great power with minimum noise output.
- High-capacity aluminum radiator with fan-assist delivers maximum cooling efficiency and is positioned high in the frame for optimal protection.
- Automatic cam chain tensioner reduces engine maintenance and helps extend engine life.
- Five-position shift lever with H, L, N, R and P gates for positive Ultramatic transmission operation.
- Override button allows engine to make maximum rpm in full Diff Lock mode.
- Electronic servo-activated 2WD/4WD/Diff Lock via the On-Command system.
- Sealed drive case keeps out water and debris to help prevent belt from slipping.
- Comfortable chassis provides outstanding handling and maneuverability.
- WideArc front suspension A-arms provide outstanding ground clearance.
- Five-way preload adjustable shocks provide a controlled, comfortable ride whatever the load or trail conditions.
- Four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes serve up consistent, long-lasting braking power under all sorts of nasty conditions.
- 5.3-gallon fuel tank is located under the seat for excellent mass centralization and handling; there’s a 4.8-liter waterproof storage compartment under there, too.
- 11.8 inches of ground clearance and full-length composite skid plate deliver maximum underbelly protection while enhancing terrainability.
- 25x8-12 front and 25x10-12 rear Dunlop tires provide responsive steering and handling and excellent comfort.
- Rugged injection-molded front bumper and CV joint guards protect against rock and debris damage.
- LCD instrument display contains fuel injection information as well as bar-type fuel gauge, odometer, tripmeter, clock and Diff Lock indicator.
- An analog speedometer shows your velocity at a glance.
- Rugged steel cargo racks with special, extra-durable wrinkle paint finish can pack a total of 286 pounds combined (99 front, 187 rear).
- Center-mounted, heavy-duty trailer hitch comes standard and can tow over 1,200 pounds.
- Large, specially designed seat is extra plush and widely contoured for all-day rider comfort.
- Dual 35-watt multi-reflector Halogen bulb headlights with high/low beams light up the night.
Type: 686cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled single; SOHC, 4 valves
Bore x Stroke: 102.0mm x 84.0mm
Compression Ratio: 9.2:1
Carburetion: Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI), 44mm
Ignition: 32-Bit ECU
Starting System: Electric
Transmission: Yamaha Ultramatic® V-belt with all-wheel engine braking/H, L, N, R, P
Engine Braking: All wheel
Drive Train: Yamaha On-Command® pushbutton; 3-way locking differential; 2WD, 4WD, locked 4WD; shaft drive
Suspension/Front: Independent double wishbone; 5-way preload adjustment, 7.1-in travel
Suspension/Rear: Independent double wishbone; 5-way preload adjustment, 9.5-in travel
Brakes/Front: Dual hydraulic disc
Brakes/Rear: Dual hydraulic disc
Tires/Front: AT25 x 8-12
Tires/Rear: AT25 x 10-12
L x W x H: 81.3 x 46.5 x 48.8 in
Seat Height: 35.6 in
Wheelbase: 49.2 in
Turning Radius: 126 in
Ground Clearance: 11.8 in
Fuel Capacity: 5.3 gal
Dry Weight: 600 lb
Rack Capacity: 99 lb Fr./187 lb Rr.
Towing Capacity: 1,212 lb
Instrumentation: Digital LCD multifunction display: speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeter, hourmeter, clock, fuel gauge, gear position, and EFI function
Lighting: Dual 35W Halogen multi-reflector headlights & 21W/5W brakelight
- $7,599 (Steel Blue)
- $7,599 (Hunter Green)
- $7,599 (Red)
- $7,949 (Realtree® AP HD™ Camouflage)