- liquid-cooled 2-stroke; reed-valve inducted
- 249 L
Pure, unadulterated two stroke genius.
I called up and got this and a couple of other bikes to test. When it got here, I was a little worried about the performance end. I fired it up and was taking it easy, I took a couple small doubles set up off a table top and got a little too much in the power band. Needless to say, I had a sore rear but when I got back on and rode it around, this thing is all about business. Not saying anything bad about fours but man if you sell yourself short coming up on the face, this thing will set you back in the slot in no time. It has more power then anything I have ever been on. Now that the break in is almost over, it’s getting smoother all the time.
Yamaha, with this great bike, managed to built one of the baddest two strokes in the market. I couldn’t believe the craziness of this bike. It’s a power monster. It’s definitely one bad ass mean machine. I have enjoyed every second of it. It is a great bike even in stock form. It handles great, very fast, and is easy to work on. Very easy to upgrade with after market parts. This bike loves to fly and handles turns like it is on rails.
Yamaha has done a swell job on this machine. . If you are a two stroke fan, it’s the bike to go with. I love it. Nice job Yamaha. Nice job!!!!
2008 Yamaha YZ250
The YZ250 delivers the latest in power,response and lightning-quick handling thanks to continual refinements - super light, super responsive, super choice.
- Our legendary two-stroke Supercross winner is more potent than ever.
- 610 grams off the front end makes this the quickest turning, best-handling YZ250 ever.
- A light, aluminum frame housing a patented YPVS™ Power valve-equipped ripper of an engine results in an awesome power-to-weight ratio.
- Ready to race out-of-the-crate, complete with a ProTaper aluminum handlebar, titanium footpegs, gripper seat and Excel rims.
- 249cc liquid-cooled reed-valve-inducted two-stroke engine is lightweight, compact and features an incredibly wide, hard-hitting powerband.
- Patented YPVS power-valve system combines crisp, hard-hitting, bottom-end acceleration with strong midrange and eye-opening top-end.
- Special-design carbon fiber reed-valve petals improve throttle response and engine performance across the entire rpm range.
- Smooth-shifting, five-speed, close-ratio transmission with heavy-duty, multiplate clutch.
- Primary kickstarter ensures smooth, easy starting action and reduced weight.
- Large-capacity radiator features a ten-row core with four louvers for maximum cooling efficiency.
- 38mm Keihin PWK carburetor with power jet and throttle position sensor (TPS) ensures precise fuel/air mixing and extra-crisp throttle response throughout the powerband.
- Digital CDI ignition system delivers precise spark for faster, stronger response anywhere in the powerband.
- Trick, works-style clutch lever features race-spec barrel adjuster for on-the-fly adjustability.
- A carefully engineered, advanced aluminum frame and swingarm give the YZ250 the best handling in the 250 class.
- Speed-Sensitive System 48mm Kayaba fork tubes move the transfer control valves (TCV) above the fork springs, so that damping force is controlled by piston speed instead of position. Along with a bigger base valve hole, the result is a smooth ride and super-precise handling.
- Removable aluminum rear subframe constructed of square-section tubing for reduced weight.
- Rear, fully adjustable Kayaba shock features a super-light titanium shock spring and reduced-friction Kashima coating of internals. 12.4 inches of travel, separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping, and a full lock oil rebound system for increased comfort all add up to fantastic rear wheel control and a sweet ride.
- Lightweight front and rear calipers with aluminum pistons and anti-bubble front master cylinder, 250mm fully floating front and 245mm rear discs, deliver strong stopping power with progressive feel.
- Lightweight 21-inch front and 19-inch rear Excel rims provide exceptional durability and help reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance and handling.
- Tapered rear wheel spacers ease sliding the rear wheel into place for quicker tire changes.
- Premium Dunlop knobbies offer race-spec traction and wear.
- Wide, cleated, folding titanium footpegs are lightweight and provide excellent comfort, grip and ground clearance.
- Special-design “gripper” type seat and fuel tank, forward-canted steering crown and low handlebar provide excellent movement and more comfortable ergonomics for riders.
- Wide-diameter fuel tank cap ensures easier usage, while larger tank opening means faster, hassle-free refueling.
- A light and strong ProTaper aluminum handlebar in adjustable mounts means comfort and control.
- Use of light, box-head bolts throughout the chassis eases maintenance while reducing weight and increasing performance.
- Repackable exhaust silencer.
- Durable, comfortable handlebar grips.
Type: 249cc liquid-cooled 2-stroke; reed-valve inducted
Bore x Stroke: 66.4 x 72.0mm
Compression Ratio: 9.2 – 10.9:1
Carburetion: PWK38S X 1
Transmission: Constant-mesh 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive: Chain Drive
Suspension/Front: Speed-Sensitive System inverted fork; fully adjustable, 11.8-in travel
Suspension/Rear: Fully adjustable single shock, 12.4-in travel
Brakes/Front: Hydraulic single disc brake, 250mm
Brakes/Rear: Hydraulic single disc brake, 245mm
Length: 85.7 in
Width: 32.6 in
Height: 51.4 in
Seat Height: 39.1 in
Wheelbase: 58.3 in
Ground Clearance: 15.0 in
Dry Weight: 212 lb
Fuel Capacity: 2.1 gal
MSRP: $6,399 (Team Yamaha Blue/White)
Warranty: 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)